Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOT Day Today

Post Thanks / Like

MOT Day Today

Booked it in as I knew it was running out soon, turns out i was a month early!

Anyhow it passed with only 1 advisory the OSR Shock is misting slightly, so i will just keep an eye on that and replace as necessary i think. Its also having a service and 4 wheel alignment today too after a pothole killed a new tyre last week
    Current Car: 2013 XF (X250) 3.0D V6 Premium Luxury
    Next Car : Under Consideration
    Previous Car: BMW X5 x40D M Sport

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine's already passed its July MOT although I'll have to join the mad rush to get another one done once these restrictions are lifted.
    2013 XF 3.0D Premium Luxury stop/start Caviar red metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently all cars and bikes have been given a 6 month exemption for MOT by the DVLA here in the UK but must be in a roadworthy condition to be driven on public roads. That's the problem, many people I know wouldn't have any idea if if their car is roadworthy or not. They just drive them ! The saving grace is that most of us wont be using our cars very much over these difficult times.

Keep well, keep safe and keep your distance !
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

4. Likes eltel1947 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil F View Post
    Apparently all cars and bikes have been given a 6 month exemption for MOT by the DVLA here in the UK but must be in a roadworthy condition to be driven on public roads. That's the problem, many people I know wouldn't have any idea if if their car is roadworthy or not. They just drive them ! The saving grace is that most of us wont be using our cars very much over these difficult times.

It's from April 1st though so any due before them will need to be done if at all possible.
    Current. 2011 XFS Portfolio. Lunar Grey (LJZ) / Black (LEG).
    Previous. 2012 XF Premium Luxury. Remapped 307 BHP / 449 lb/ft. Italian Racing Red (CAH) / Barley
    Previous. 2005 55 reg 06MY 2.0D Sovereign. Jaguar Racing Green - HGZ.
    In storage.1988 Daimler XJ40. Bordeaux Red / Doeskin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes just read the Gov.UK site . But they have now issued and made it law that "only essential" journeys are made . I wonder if that will affect those that have MOT's due before the end of march ? I had already booked to have a test done on Monday 30th March as mine expires on the 10th of April but as its "a non essential journey" will now cancel and re-book when restrictions are lifted ,whenever that may be .
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil F View Post

Just read some comments on a newspaper website of someone moaning that the government we forcing drivers to be responsible for the safety of their own vehicles, as though the MOT was the only 'maintenance' that was ever needed. They seem to overlook that they could still MOT their vehicle as many MOT stations are open, although I assume they will be very quiet from April 1st.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found out today that my MOT being up on the 29th is required to be done and is booked in for Wednesday. The Garage informed me that any cars needing MOT after the 29th will not be done regardless of if you would like it done or not. It will not be classed as essential work with the 6 month extension put in place, and as such will be put off until a later date.

Of course, my insurance policy states that to be covered by them in the event of a claim the vehicle must be in a roadworthy condition and have a valid MOT. So I would suggest owners who are unable to get an MOT because they are subject to the 6 month extension now in place, should clarify with their Insurance Companies if they are ok with it or could be faced with an expensive claim refusal.
    MY15 X250, XF R-Sport 3.0D Black Pack, Ceramic coated, 19" alloys SOLD!

Post Thanks / Like
    So if it fails the MOT and can't be fixed until after the 1st April they won't pass it? This is madness if true, as the car would be unusable for 6 months until they start testing again. The 6 month extension wouldn't apply as it wouldn't have an MOT to extend so would be illegal. I though garages could remain open as an important service needed to keep the country running, so why having an MOT isn't essential in doing this seems to be counterproductive. Is this just their interpretation or a genuine piece of advice from on high?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AntF View Post
    So if it fails the MOT and can't be fixed until after the 1st April they won't pass it? This is madness if true, as the car would be unusable for 6 months until they start testing again. The 6 month extension wouldn't apply as it wouldn't have an MOT to extend so would be illegal. I though garages could remain open as an important service needed to keep the country running, so why having an MOT isn't essential in doing this seems to be counterproductive. Is this just their interpretation or a genuine piece of advice from on high?

My car being due before the 6 months extended period will be fixed should it fail the MOT. No cars will be tested that are due after that date so will not fail and as such need not be taken off road.
    MY15 X250, XF R-Sport 3.0D Black Pack, Ceramic coated, 19" alloys SOLD!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AntF View Post
    if it fails on something dangerous you can get it repaired because garages are open. If it is then too late to get re-MOT’ed then keep the failure and repair receipts and you will be ok.

Main thing is do not panic, no-one is going to get done if they are sensible. Only people who deliberately abuse the concessions will have a problem.
    Currently: 2010 XF 3.0 Petrol - Premium Luxury
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    S-Type 3.0 SE 2007
    S-Type 3.0 Sport Auto 2004
    S-Type Spirit 2.7D Auto 2007
    S-Type 2.5 SE Auto 2004
    2 x 2.1 X-Type SE
    2 x Xj6 (1 x 4.2 litre & 1 x 3.4 Litre)
    Daimler 2.8 Litre

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast