Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MOT Day Today

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barryhi View Post
    @Poundy

Just to clarify ... will the system be updated to show the car has an MOT for the exemption period
    I only ask because that would make some sense and be interested to know ?
    I presume it will just say exempt (not needed) they cannot say it has one when it's out of date. Think the main objective is to allow owners to get road tax and avoid police taking action against owners in the event of a traffic stop. It will not stop action being taken against a vehicle being unroadworthy.
    MY15 X250, XF R-Sport 3.0D Black Pack, Ceramic coated, 19" alloys SOLD!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundy View Post
    I presume it will just say exempt (not needed) they cannot say it has one when it's out of date. Think the main objective is to allow owners to get road tax and avoid police taking action against owners in the event of a traffic stop. It will not stop action being taken against a vehicle being unroadworthy.
    Ah ok. Of course anyone driving an unroadworthy car should be prosecuted, that doesn’t change.
    Currently: 2010 XF 3.0 Petrol - Premium Luxury
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    S-Type 3.0 SE 2007
    S-Type 3.0 Sport Auto 2004
    S-Type Spirit 2.7D Auto 2007
    S-Type 2.5 SE Auto 2004
    2 x 2.1 X-Type SE
    2 x Xj6 (1 x 4.2 litre & 1 x 3.4 Litre)
    Daimler 2.8 Litre

Post Thanks / Like
    Just found this statement ....Says the next test due date will be extended so sounds like the system will be amended so it will appear the car does have an MOT.

All cars, vans and motorcycles which usually would require an MOT test will be exempted from needing a test for six months, a release from the DfT confirmed on Wednesday.
    That means that if you have an MOT due from 30 March 2020, the next test date will be extended by six months.
    This measure will be in place for the next 12 months, the DfT confirmed.
    Last edited by barryhi; 28-03-20 at 20:35.
    S-Type 3.0 SE 2007
    S-Type 2.5 SE Auto 2004
    2 x 2.1 X-Type SE
    Daimler 2.8 Litre

Post Thanks / Like
    Surely the responsible thing to do would be to call the insurance company and clarify the point with them.
    Last edited by Jimbov8; 28-03-20 at 21:08.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbov8 View Post
    Surely the responsible thing to do would be to call the insurance company and clarify the point with them.
    Can you imagine every car driver inundating their insurer with phone calls only to be told ‘of course you are covered’ - not sure that’s responsible.

Based on the info I found (and posted) the MOT due date will be extended so if an insurer (or anyone else) checks then the DVLA site will show the car is MOT’ed.

I don’t say this in a bad way, but as Poundy and possibly yourself are concerned by this then maybe you could call your insurers and report back. I appreciate that would only be your insurer but they will probably have a standard response.
    S-Type 3.0 SE 2007
    S-Type 2.5 SE Auto 2004
    2 x 2.1 X-Type SE
    Daimler 2.8 Litre

Post Thanks / Like
    Insurance will not be effected as your car is still MOT'd https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...-30-march-2020

What you need to do
    Your car, motorcycle, light van or other light vehicle’s MOT expiry date will be automatically extended by 6 months if it’s due on or after Monday 30 March 2020.

This means that your vehicle will still have a valid MOT certificate for an extra 6 months.

You do not need to do anything for this to happen. However, you must keep your vehicle safe to drive.

This applies to all vehicles, including those that need their first MOT test.

Example
    Your vehicle’s MOT was due to expire on 3 April 2020.

This will automatically be extended to 3 October 2020. You will need to get your MOT by this date.
    Current. 2011 XFS Portfolio. Lunar Grey (LJZ) / Black (LEG).
    Previous. 2012 XF Premium Luxury. Remapped 307 BHP / 449 lb/ft. Italian Racing Red (CAH) / Barley
    Previous. 2005 55 reg 06MY 2.0D Sovereign. Jaguar Racing Green - HGZ.
    In storage.1988 Daimler XJ40. Bordeaux Red / Doeskin.

7. Likes barryhi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    To clarify the position as I see it, some garages/MOT centres are closing and others will remain open. In some areas there may not be an MOT centre open within a reasonable distance. To ensure that those who do not have access to an MOT test centre can remain mobile the government has decided to extend ALL MOT certificates by 6 months. If you are fortunate enough to have a local centre there is nothing to stop you from getting the test done, however, many people won't be in that position. With a blanket extension everybody is in the same position.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    To clarify the position as I see it, some garages/MOT centres are closing and others will remain open. In some areas there may not be an MOT centre open within a reasonable distance. To ensure that those who do not have access to an MOT test centre can remain mobile the government has decided to extend ALL MOT certificates by 6 months. If you are fortunate enough to have a local centre there is nothing to stop you from getting the test done, however, many people won't be in that position. With a blanket extension everybody is in the same position.

No vehicle testing will take place, regardless of if you want one or not as from the 30th.

My car expiring on the 29th means I still need to get a MOT as it doesn't qualify for the 6mth extension. As the road tax is up on the 1st of April it would mean without an MOT I cannot tax it. I have it booked in for mot for the earliest possible date on Wednesday. Once all cars with a pre 30th date have been done, garages will no longer be doing any MOT's for the foreseeable future. Cars failing the pre 30th MOT requirement can be repaired and retested classed as essential work.
    MY15 X250, XF R-Sport 3.0D Black Pack, Ceramic coated, 19" alloys SOLD!

Post Thanks / Like
    It would not surprise me if, God forbid, you had an accident within the extended MOT time that I insurance companies will inspect the vehicle to MAKE SURE it is roadworth.....
    ...and if felt it would fail an MOT refuse to pay out.......

Except Jaguar owners..... because they love their cars and they would just stand their and drool over the bonnet......

Smarty
    My Jaguar is - XF Portfolio 2.0 2017 Diesel
    I also have a SWB Ford Transit for our dogs (5 Newfoundands and 2 English Cocker Spaniels)

11. Likes hereford108 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123