Thread: 2.2d manual gearbox oil change

Post Thanks / Like

2.2d manual gearbox oil change

Apologies. I know there are threads out there, but I can’t find them. I want to change the transmission oil (160k miles just done) but know it can be difficult due to location of the drain plug being very close to subframe, making access very difficult.

However, lockdown and free time this weekend are making me feel ambitious!

So, my questions are as follows:

1. Do people recommend the following oil. Castrol syntrans 75-w90 api Gl-4. If not, which?

2. I believe I need an 8mm Allen key to fit into the drain and fill plugs. Correct? Will I need to cut down an Allen key and insert the cut off bit into the drain plug (due to subframe location) and then use a spanner to turn the inserted part of the Allen key? Or will there be space to put a ratchet over the end of the 8mm Allen bit?

3. Will the plugs be easy to open?

PS. I will make sure I can open the fill plug before attempting to open the drain plug!

4. Do the filler and drain plugs have a seal/washer? If so, will they need replacing and what part do I source? If they are required, a link to the part would be great.
    Steve - 2008 2.2D X Type Sport Premium 6speed manual

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello 'Steve1707', the job is not easy, due to the access, yes a 'allen' is required, but it needs to be cut to a length to fit, this needs to be done from under the car, filling is much earier and can be done from under the bonnet. Good Luck, Regards, RichardA

Post Thanks / Like
    i always fill through the reversing light swith aperture
    Regards
    Bloders

06 X Type 2.2 Sovereign

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello 'Bloders', not sure you know if the oil is at the correct level as that is located on the top of the gearbox, best to use the gearbox filler hole you 'fill until it spills'.
    Regards. RichardA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by richarda View Post
    Hello 'Bloders', not sure you know if the oil is at the correct level as that is located on the top of the gearbox, best to use the gearbox filler hole you 'fill until it spills'.
    Regards. RichardA
    You can fill through the top, whilst monitoring the level through the levelplug - its just a lot easier than pumping oil in through the plug on the side, unless of course, you have the correct tools for the job.
    Each to their own, it was only a suggestion.
    Regards
    Bloders

06 X Type 2.2 Sovereign

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello 'bloders', yes I understand it would work although getting to the reversing light switch under the battery tray is also a pain. Regards, RichardA