Thread: Any TV Experts Out There?

Post Thanks / Like

Any TV Experts Out There?

Hi all,

Here's a strange one I can find nothing out on apart from turn it off and on again (which does work!).

I have an old JVC LT-37DS6 37" LCD TV - I would guess it is around 12-13 years old now.

All has been working fine until about a week ago when we could no longer control the volume from the remote. No problem, use the buttons on the side of the TV. No, they don't work either. Can't even turn it off from the side power switch - it's as if they are all dead, and none of the controls on the remote are being registered either.

Unplugged it for 5 minutes, plugged it back in and all came back to life - remote and side buttons. Brilliant - problem solved.

No - 30 minutes later, all is unresponsive again from remote or side buttons.

Turn it off at the wall, give it 5 minutes, back on, all good. 30 minutes later, gone again.

Yesterday I left it off for 7 hours and reconnected it. All good. 30 minutes later, nothing from the remote or TV buttons again.

And this is where we are.

I can't find anything on-line about this apart from "turn it off and on again" and the user manual even says in the troubleshooting section to turn it off, leave it 5 minutes and power it on again if this happens. Useful.

Anyone ever come across something like this before and, if so, know what a fix might be?

I'm happy to change circuit boards out etc. if required as I recently changed the LCD in another TV in the house that was damaged - got a replacement screen off eBay for £45 - lot cheaper than a new TV.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Regards

TMW
    Black 2001 3.0 V6 SE Auto
    Lots of miles covered - many more still to do...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

So, an update.

After much testing, elimination, settings changes, scouring the web, I found a posting on a YouView forum that was talking about Pin 13 of the HDMI cable being used to send a signal to all devices by a single remote and this had been updated on the YouView and was causing similar issues to what I am seeing, admittedly we are Virgin though...

Alas, all my HDMI cables are fully wired, but I found a small adaptor on-line that removes Pin 13 from the connection so am waiting for this to arrive.

In the meantime, as part of the elimination process, we are running on SCART rather than HDMI and are having absolutely no issues whatsoever. So, this tells me that it is indeed something in the HDMI output from the Virgin Tivo box, and most like the update that was actioned on it recently.

Once the adaptor arrives I shall put this in place again and revert back to HDMI and see what happens. If it still does it, beats me, but on standard definition the SCART output is fine and we barely use HD as we always forget about it so that could be the answer moving forward. Also got a SCART splitter coming so that I can leave the 2x devices plugged in to it as required just in case...

Technology - who'd have it...

Regards

TMW

Post Thanks / Like
    How bizarre. There seems to be a misunderstanding of the spec. for pin 13 on HDMI comms connectors.

I think you may have to investigate what each manufacturer has implemented on pin 13 and see if you can work a solution.

The solution will most likely need to isolate Pin 13 connection where the services implemented on that chanel are not compatible.

Seems really odd tho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag-Black View Post
    The solution will most likely need to isolate Pin 13 connection where the services implemented on that chanel are not compatible.

Seems really odd tho.
    That's what this adaptor I've got coming should do. It's basically a 15cm HDMI extension cable you plug your existing cable into and then the plug on the end of the new cable has no pin 13 so, hopefully, that will sort it.

Agree with you though - it is really odd. But definitely only on the HDMI and only from the Virgin box so it's (more than likely) something an update they have done has caused...

Regards

TMW

5. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmwsccsh View Post
    That's what this adaptor I've got coming should do. It's basically a 15cm HDMI extension cable you plug your existing cable into and then the plug on the end of the new cable has no pin 13 so, hopefully, that will sort it.
    Well, the adaptor cable arrived yesterday. Was fitted at 1.30pm. We are now almost 36 hours later, deliberately didn't turn the tv off and it's still giving us volume control.

Not wanting to sound presumptive, but before it would have stopped working after a couple of hours at most so it looks like this may have solved the problem!

Regards

TMW

7. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the adaptor cable arrived yesterday. Was fitted at 1.30pm. We are now almost 36 hours later, deliberately didn't turn the tv off and it's still giving us volume control.
    Still working!

Regards

TMW

9. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still working!

Regards

TMW
    As odd as it sounded, that's what it was. Good to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag-Black View Post
    As odd as it sounded, that's what it was. Good to know.
    And if it wasn't for finding that YouView forum post I never would have identified it!

TMW

Post Thanks / Like
    Look for an option in the Virgin box for control over HDMI, this would be for example to allow the volume control on the Virgin remote to adjust the TV volume via HDMI. If there is an option, disable it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Look for an option in the Virgin box for control over HDMI, this would be for example to allow the volume control on the Virgin remote to adjust the TV volume via HDMI. If there is an option, disable it.
    Yeah, that was my first port of call originally - it's a bit basic in that respect to the end user. There may be a hidden engineers menu that has an option but I couldn't see it.

But this little cable adaptor has sorted it perfectly.

Regards

TMW