Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaguar XF S Not starting

Post Thanks / Like

Jaguar XF S Not starting

Hi everyone, new to this forum.

I have an issue with my loved Jaguar XF S Premium Luxury 2012.
    On saturday last week, took the car for a spin, visiting a friend ( all good, no issues whatsoever ). I got back home later that day, parked the car. Next morning, wanted to go quickly to a shop and do some shoppings, but the car decided to do absolutely nothing.
    When i unlocked the car, i noticed that my indicators didn't flashed as they used to. Only the indicators from the mirror flashed to let me know it's unlocked. When i jumped inside the car and tried to start it, i immediately got the error Steering Column Lock ( flashing red and not unlocking my steering wheel ) / Check Pedestrian System ( flashing yellow ), touchscreen display not working, and so on.
    So i connected my iCarsoft tester to see the errors and this is what i hot from there :

Powertrain control module :
    B10A2 - Crash input
    U0167 - Lost communication with vehicle immobiliser control unit
    U0151 - Lost communication with restraints control unit

Instrument cluster control module :
    B100D - Column lock authorisation
    B1B33 - Target identification transfer
    U0151 - Lost communication with restraints control unit
    U0250 - Lost communication with the impact classification system module

Central junction box( body control module ) :
    U0257 - Lost communication with the front controls/display interface module
    U2010 - Swith illumination

Auxiliary junction box( body control module B ) :
    C111A - Right stoplamp
    C111B - Left stoplamp
    B1026 - Steering column lock
    B1115 - High mounted stoplamp control
    B1116 - Left tail lamp
    B1117 - Right tail lamp
    B111A - Number plate lamps
    B1123 - Restraints ignition relay
    B1124 - Lamp fade control
    B123A - Front left turn signal
    B123B - Front right turn signal
    B1247 - Rear left turn signal
    B1248 - Rear right turn signal
    B13D2 - Boot lid tail lamp control
    U0257 - Lost communication with the front controls/display interface module

Any help to what the cause could be is appreciated and sorry if i posted in the wrong cattegory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Something has triggered a false "crash protection" ignition system lock out.
    Try a reboot/reset of the electrical system by disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds then reconnect.
    No need to disconnect both terminals, just the negative will do or even easier just the earth lead (running from the negative terminal) from where it bolts to the floor of the boot/trunk.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the battery fully charged?
    2009 XF 3.0 Diesel S Portfolio
    2005 2.2 D Estate (soon to be for sale).

Post Thanks / Like
    Oz, I already tried disconnecting the battery. Removed both terminals, left the car like that for a few hours, but still nothing.

john, battery is brand new. It has 2-3 months. I had problems with my old one, so decided to buy a new one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its still worth checking the battery with a load . At least then you know you have ruled it out of the problem. I had a battery fail on a BMW a few years ago . Battery showed 12.8 volts on a meter but put a load on it and it failed completely. Next check the fuse box in the foot-well for any sign of the dreaded corrosion from the washer pump as your car is in the age of vehicles affected. Let us know how you get on .
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

Post Thanks / Like
    I would charge the battery first as a low battery throws up all kinds of errors. If it starts check the voltage that is being output by the alternator is around 14.5v - if not this it could be the alternator has failed and isn't charging the battery. Or it could be the junction box issue, where water tracks into the central junction box in the driver's footwell and corrodes lots of things. This is widely covered on these forums. There is also a junction box in the boot so check there is no water in the boot well that could get into the electrics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so i swapped the battery, with the one from a friend's car ( another Jaguar XF, but the older version, from 2008 ), his car was starting absolutely fine. On my car, same thing, no signs at all of starting, same errors. Tried to clear them first, but they don't go away, which suggests that the problem is still there.
    I checked the fuses on the driver's footwell, and no signs of corrosion, all fuses are fine. Checked the fuse box under the bonnet as well, the one in the trunk too, and no signs of water damage to any of them.
    Alternator i know it's good, as i replaced it when i bought the car, as the previous owner told me that the alternator is dead and not charging the battery, the reason for why the original battery completely died, and me buying a new battery and replacing the alternator.
    So to be fair, i have no idea what could be the issue and solve it as well.
    Could it be one of the modules, or something, which completely died and it's linked to all those errors?

Post Thanks / Like
    On the drivers footwell fusebox, you need to remove the top left multiplug (grey) check the pins in the plug & the fusebox, this is where the pins corrode if you have water wicking down the wire from the washerpump.
    2009 XF 3.0 Diesel S Portfolio
    2005 2.2 D Estate (soon to be for sale).

9. Thanks V8Steve thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When a facelift XF loses the plot and the battery checks out, I always go to the next most common cause.
    CJB water Ingres issue?
    Check the C5(?) plug on the CJB.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jberks View Post
    When a facelift XF loses the plot and the battery checks out, I always go to the next most common cause.
    CJB water Ingres issue?
    Check the C5(?) plug on the CJB.
    Where is that located? Under the bonnet? And do i need to remove the whole junction box to be able to check the C5 plug?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast