Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First timer, XF or XJ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think some people say "no ULEZ" meaning there is no charge, as they are compliant. I have found that confusing when reading adverts - is it no charge or no compliance? I would suggest doing exactly what you have done and check if the car is compliant by number plate as that will come from DVLA records which I'm sure is how the car would be charged.

2. Thanks AS15 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    An astute observation sir! Yes that makes perfect sense, and yes is quite confusing but understandable. I had sort of assumed that if it was some problem that it would be much more of an issue than simply failing ULEZ!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't keep up to date with emission zones TBH, but a mate who converted his car to LPG could either avoid or get heavily reduced rates - I don;t remember which. However to achieve it he had to get the dual fuel ability registered at the DVLA. That is my basis for assuming that all these schemes use the DVLA as the litmus test which must be based on the individual cars records.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, 2010-12 cars for seven thousand pounds. That's quite unbelievable.

A quick check of listed XJ's from 2010 here in Australia has $35K, $46K and $60K... and that's with 1 AUD being worth 0.5564 GBP!

Love the modern XJ, it's such an incredible design, particularly the interior and dash. The experience of Grandad's XJ6s are the reason I am here...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I did go and sit in an xf and an xj on the same day, and as many of you predicted, i now own the XJ!

Cheers all, here's the ownership thread now! https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=122668

7. Likes JimC64, mac_doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol you were warned...…

An older XJ at 150k or so can be a good buy, if it's been looked after. A very good friend of mine has bought a 10 plate 3.0D with 170k on the clock if memory serves.

She's lovely and just needs a little love here n there which he'll definitely give her. Over and above that there's a fair few mechanicals that need attention, but as he does so much of these things himself it doesn't have to cost the earth.

If you can change oil, do basic servicing, brake discs and pads etc you're off to a good start, over and above that you'll want a good Indy recommendation

Great cars, love mine and yes, don't sit in it unless you intend to buy it....too late

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Ultimate Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia, Remote boot mod and illuminated treadplates added, currently at 54k miles
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors 96k miles

Post Thanks / Like
    I second your comment. I took a 2011 XJL for a ride as it was at my local discount car dealer on a Tuesday it was sitting in my drive way on Friday. Supercharged V8 124000 KM. Hard to describe the sensation of driving it. The engine feel is in the seats when i push it a little and feels great. I have had it less than a week. Air bag light is on! Oh well.

Halifax
    Canada

10. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Likes mac_doctor, Legnum Nick liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12