Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: battery charging

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick616 View Post
    This may sound daft but how do I know if the battery is AGM, or
    what is AGM ?
    AGM = Absorbent Glass Mat.
    Still lead acid like a "normal" battery just not flooded cell.
    See here for some details: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._glass_mat_agm
    Most times an AGM battery will have the letters AGM written on it somewhere.
    Also it is sealed, no need to top up with distilled water from time to time, so it doesn't have the usual six twist plugs on top for this.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah right, thanks Oz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    If the Yellow light is flashing on my Ctek comfort panel indicator it means that the Battery is fully Charged, and when it's showing a Red light that's when the Battery is needing Charged but when it's showing a Red light flashing it doesn't mean that the Battery is Flat.
    I think that the manufacturers of the Ctek err on the safe side, because when it shows Red it only takes about 3 hour's for the Battery to be Charged and the Yellow light is flashing.
    The comfort lead also goes Red when the boot is opened or on any other short power drain even though the battery is good. It will then return to amber when car is no longer in discharge mode.

It's handy to be able to do a quick battery voltage check with a multimeter, via the 2 pins on the comfort lead though. Instead of pulling the boot liner out.
    MY15 X250, XF R-Sport 3.0D Black Pack, Ceramic coated, 19" alloys SOLD!

4. Thanks Trooper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundy View Post
    The comfort lead also goes Red when the boot is opened or on any other short power drain even though the battery is good. It will then return to amber when car is no longer in discharge mode.

It's handy to be able to do a quick battery voltage check with a multimeter, via the 2 pins on the comfort lead though. Instead of pulling the boot liner out.
    I maybe should invest in a Multimeter, i'm certainly well pleased with the Ctek charger.

Thanks for the information.
    Now driving an XF 2017 model 2 litre 180 hp Diesel Portfolio Ammonite Grey and Light Oyster Leather /Oyster Carpets.
    Previous.
    2009 X Type 2:2 Auto Sovereign.
    2008 X Type 2:2 Auto S Basic.
    2005 X Type 2 litre manual SE.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm amazed how many people seem to manage without a simple multimeter.
    They can cost as little as a few pounds and you don't have to be an electrician to use one.
    Worth their money just for simple check of household batteries, let alone as stated above for the car battery too.
    Even simple ones have a continuity test just right for checking fuses etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenticular View Post
    I'm amazed how many people seem to manage without a simple multimeter.
    They can cost as little as a few pounds and you don't have to be an electrician to use one.
    Worth their money just for simple check of household batteries, let alone as stated above for the car battery too.
    Even simple ones have a continuity test just right for checking fuses etc.
    I've never thought about buying a Multimeter, that's as much as i'll say on somebody else's Thread and i'll start a new Thread.
    Now driving an XF 2017 model 2 litre 180 hp Diesel Portfolio Ammonite Grey and Light Oyster Leather /Oyster Carpets.
    Previous.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never thought about buying a Multimeter, that's as much as i'll say on somebody else's Thread and i'll start a new Thread.
    Your last post is clear as mud.
    What's your point ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenticular View Post
    Your last post is clear as mud.
    What's your point ?
    I never meant anything by my post, other than it was leading away from the OP Thread.
    Previous.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never meant anything by my post, other than it was leading away from the OP Thread.
    Fair enough. But often these threads can develop in ways which can still be pertinent.
    And with a thread about battery charging the reading of a meter will always be invaluable.

Post Thanks / Like
    A multimeter is a really useful piece of kit, just bare in mind that they aren't 100% accurate, so it could read 0.1 or 0.2 (or more) volts out.
    We claibrate our meters at work (think it's to 2%, so 0.2v in 10v), anything not calibrated is classed as 'for reference only.
    I recently had someone saying there car was over charging until they tried another meter!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast