Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: battery charging

Post Thanks / Like
    I put my charger on the battery yesterday and it started way down at No 2, left it on all day and last night it was fully charged so that's good.
    I will get me a flat lead so I can close the boot on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Lenticular, keep it all together in one place if possible, it makes it easier for folk to follow on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick616 View Post
    I put my charger on the battery yesterday and it started way down at No 2, left it on all day and last night it was fully charged so that's good.
    I will get me a flat lead so I can close the boot on it.

You don't need a flat lead, just shut the boot, there is ample flex in the seals to prevent crushing.
    MY15 X250, XF R-Sport 3.0D Black Pack, Ceramic coated, 19" alloys SOLD!

4. Likes Irish Pappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, my friendly neighbour gave me some .75 amp 3 core flex he said is more than enough for it and it's thinner than my extension lead so the boot closes nicely on than. He even made up the lead with plug and socket for me. Sorted 👍

Post Thanks / Like
    No need for a flat lead as Poundy says. If you are not sure, get a piece of cable of a similar diameter and use it as a test piece. I have run an extension lead (5mm. Dia approx) into my boot and it closes OK. without 'nipping' it too hard.

Try it................................................ ....IP
    2006 3.0Ltr. S type ..... Radiance Red Metallic, Chrome grille complete with Red and Black S Type Growler badge, fully loaded.
    Hands free smartphone connected successfully thanks to members of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pappy View Post
    No need for a flat lead as Poundy says. If you are not sure, get a piece of cable of a similar diameter and use it as a test piece. I have run an extension lead (5mm. Dia approx) into my boot and it closes OK. without 'nipping' it too hard.

Try it................................................ ....IP
    You are right but I would always recommend not running anything through the seals as it deforms them and they don't sit tightly around, in this case, the cable leaving room for water ingress. Probably not a problem if done occasionally but done regularly there will inevitably be damage to the seals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
    You are right but I would always recommend not running anything through the seals as it deforms them and they don't sit tightly around, in this case, the cable leaving room for water ingress. Probably not a problem if done occasionally but done regularly there will inevitably be damage to the seals.
    Don't always trap lead in exactly the same place.
    Will not be a problem then....if it was in the first place !

9. Likes Poundy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenticular View Post
    Don't always trap lead in exactly the same place.
    Will not be a problem then....if it was in the first place !

Having had spells of owning several vehicles at the same time and spending extended periods between the UK and Australia, means I have been using the locked boot comfort lead method for many years on different vehicles, never had a seal deform yet.

I think some owners may be concerned about the lead getting crushed but its not an issue on the XF.
    MY15 X250, XF R-Sport 3.0D Black Pack, Ceramic coated, 19" alloys SOLD!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundy View Post
    Having had spells of owning several vehicles at the same time and spending extended periods between the UK and Australia, means I have been using the locked boot comfort lead method for many years on different vehicles, never had a seal deform yet.

I think some owners may be concerned about the lead getting crushed but its not an issue on the XF.
    Ditto.
    I used to leave vehicles in the heat of Houston over the summer while I was back in the UK, and never had any issues with trickle charger leads that were left in place for months on end.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234