Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XK8 No Start Issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Daft question but have you tried another key?
    It's possible the transponder chip has failed! See this...

96 XK8 (rolling resto)
    73 MGBGT V8 (next on the list)
    69 MG1300 (being neglected)
    58 MG Magnette ZB (ever hopeful I'll have time for this one!)
    3 x MGB's waiting for me
    3 x MGB GT's (I'll get to them eventually)
    67 Scimitar SE4a (it was cheap, how could I say no!)
    97 MGF (its only done 30K)
    06 Citroen C6 (2018 summer project!)
    07 Citroen C6 (needs a new home, cheap!)
    09 Citroen C6 (this one's a keeper)
    04 Citroen C5 (160k workhorse, love this car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MGinterloper View Post
    I would start by disconnecting the SLCM and check for comms with the remaining modules. Then disconnect another and so on in the hopes that comms will be restored when the faulty module is taken off the network.
    This is where I would start too.
    I cant see the key being the issue to the bus error problem. It would have implications on the starting of course.
    2007 S type R, Radiance Red/ Champagne, all options but for the sunroof. Oh, and the garage door opener.
    Added MP3 audio connectivity module.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKis View Post
    I cant see the key being the issue to the bus error problem. It would have implications on the starting of course.
    Agreed.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my last post as I was referring to the starting problem and hadn't really considered the possibility of a key failure before watching the video. The bus error does seam to be a secondary fault but I'm betting they turn out to be connected in some way. I just can't work out how from the information available or wiring diagrams I have access to.
    96 XK8 (rolling resto)
    3 x MGB's waiting for me

Post Thanks / Like
    yup ive tried all 3 keys.

can anyone confirm the mangoose clone works with IDS on 1997 vehicles. i see it properly connected through SDD but the vcm shows as not connected in IDS even though ive managed to pull a few codes from the can bus network. otheriwse im going to need to hunt down an original VCM i guess.

does the VCM II work

or any other cheaper clones that does work

Thanks for your ideas guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by manners View Post
    yup ive tried all 3 keys.

can anyone confirm the mangoose clone works with IDS on 1997 vehicles. i see it properly connected through SDD but the vcm shows as not connected in IDS even though ive managed to pull a few codes from the can bus network. otheriwse im going to need to hunt down an original VCM i guess.

does the VCM II work

or any other cheaper clones that does work

Thanks for your ideas guys
    well had another play today. got hold of sdd 1.31 and loaded into virtual box... (this does not work IDS Crashes)

then tried vmware player now dont know what the differences really are but this time legacy IDS does load and next to the green battery icon in the bottom right i see the J2534 green icon. when i unplug the cable now it actually pops up and tells me its been unplugged and i need to exit the program.... Great but plugged into the jag and again i get the serial communication error on the restraints module and one other. i still get the p1260 code from the cluster and still cant communicate with the body processor module to even try to reprogram keys or resync the ecm and slm...

Frustrated muchly

Post Thanks / Like
    Great but plugged into the jag and again i get the serial communication error on the restraints module and one other. i still get the p1260 code from the cluster and still cant communicate with the body processor module to even try to reprogram keys or resync the ecm and slm...
    Which other module?
    The restraints module is on the same network as the KTM and is separate from the SCP. It does however send a data signal to the IP to light the airbag warning light.
    It does sound like you're chasing a number of different faults but I guess something common can't be ruled out!

Have you tried unplugging the non-responsive modules?
    96 XK8 (rolling resto)
    3 x MGB's waiting for me

Post Thanks / Like
    so far ive tried reading errors with the key transponder unplugged and connected, the BPM unplugged and connected the airbag module unplugged and connected.

the list was

Antilocking Braking System 00 DTC
    Restraints module Serial communication failed
    Climate Control Module Serial communication failed
    Engine Control Module (p1260)
    Instrument Pack 00 DTC
    Transmission Control Module 00 DTC

i then tried going into the immobiliser set up and i'm quickly faced with cannot communicate with body processor module
    and same if i go to the Engine System >>> Starting System >>> Starter Motor and tried to initiate a engine crank procedure

although the scp bus network errors didn't appear last time i scanned i do believe there must be some kind of flaw still to not be able to communicate.

i will disconnect the SLM tomorrow and try again. im still confused as to if this cable should be capable as ive seen a post where a person has spoken with drew tech and they say there cable doesnt work within IDS then i have seen the technical bulletin from jaguar saying the cable should be able to program all modules except the ECM

who am i supposed to believe

Post Thanks / Like
    so far i've tried reading errors with the key transponder unplugged and connected, the BPM unplugged and connected the airbag module unplugged and connected.

the list was

Antilocking Braking System 00 DTC
    Restraints module Serial communication failed
    Climate Control Module Serial communication failed
    Engine Control Module (p1260)
    Instrument Pack 00 DTC
    Transmission Control Module 00 DTC

i will disconnect the SLM tomorrow and try again. im still confused as to if this cable should be capable as ive seen a post where a person has spoken with drew tech and they say there cable doesnt work within IDS then i have seen the technical bulletin from jaguar saying the cable should be able to program all modules except the ECM
    Okay, all the modules you can talk to appear to be via CAN. The ones complaining e.g. CCM, Restraints and KTM(?) are all on the serial data link and not the SCP. Start by making sure you have power on the CCM and Restraint modules then unplug them. That leaves the KTM and the ECM on the network and therefore removes any other possible module interference.

The BPM controls a load of functions via the SCP and if they are all working e.g. doors lock via the key, windows via the drivers switches, horn etc. then there's a better than average chance your mangoose doesn't communicate to the SCP.

However, if the Fobs don't operate the door locks, the SLCM must be considered a suspect. You could also test if the boot and fuel filler unlock from the buttons on the dash? These are controlled via the BPM and SLCM over the SCP network which would at least confirm they are talking to each other.
    96 XK8 (rolling resto)
    3 x MGB's waiting for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your help. its now running again it was the key transponder had failed. when replace the keys needed reprogramming then it ran and purred

10. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update and resolution to your problem.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast