Thread: 2 carb 4.2 Engine E-Type

Post Thanks / Like

2 carb 4.2 Engine E-Type

I'm looking for advise. I'm currently driving an '68 S-Type 3.4 and I have spotted an E-Type I am interested in. Black plate S2 from '69. I noticed it has only 2 carburettors, i was under the impression an E-Type has allways 3! Could this be the californian emisson legislation and will this have an impact on the value / power? Seller states matching numbers.

The E-Type world is new to me, please enlighten me.

Kind regards and thanks in advance,

john leurs, Netherlands.
    Last edited by Horsepowerjunkie; 20-05-20 at 12:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have looked into my copy of Nigel Thorley's book "All the Jaguars" and in the E type section all I can find about carburettors etc. is that due to changes in US regulations in 1967/8 a special Federal model was introduced which ended up on European cars as well. This model used Zenith - Stromberg emissions carburettors instead of the British SU type. Unfortunately it doesn't mention the number of carbs used. I'm sure if you could contact Mr. Thorley, maybe through his publishers, he would enlighten you.

Regards........................................... IP
    2006 3.0Ltr. S type ..... Radiance Red Metallic, Chrome grille complete with Red and Black S Type Growler badge, fully loaded.
    Hands free smartphone connected successfully thanks to members of the forum!

3. Thanks Horsepowerjunkie thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello John,

I went on line and found a car for sale on Bonhams auction site, 1970 American specification and it clearly has two Stromberg carburettors so that looks to be correct?

Alec
    MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

5. Thanks Horsepowerjunkie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, two Strombergs seems to be the norm after '68 or so. Have seen the car, has been standing for 25 years, interior a mess, but a solid and unrepaird car. It was for me a too big project, i hate taking engines apart.

regards,
    John