Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-MOT problem

Post Thanks / Like

Pre-MOT problem

Would like advice on what possible fault might be please.

My Jag has been used once for a short journey every 7-10 days throughout virus lockdown, so my car has been sitting for quite long periods, and its' MOT is due in a week or so. When I used it yesterday my engine warning light, ABS/TSC lights all came on. When I got home I was unable to lock the car with the fob, but ok with the key in the door. Prior to this my car performed faultlessly, when it was used almost daily. The battery is only 4 years old (Varta 019), but I have no means of testing voltage, and after the fuss from the last time I replaced it (resets, etc) I am reluctant to remove it from the car. I had slightly similar things happen last time the battery died, although the car completely shut down back then. There are no fault codes.

Is it more likely to just need recharging after standing still for so long, if so I'll just have to bite the bullet and do all the resets again?
    2003 S-Type 3.0 SE Auto

Post Thanks / Like
    You can charge the battery while its still in the car and you will not need to MOT your car until November because of this virus that s doing the rounds
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

3. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick answer!

Is it safe to recharge it while still connected to the car, as I thought I'd read somewhere it had to be removed?
    2003 S-Type 3.0 SE Auto

Post Thanks / Like
    There are many members on here that keep there Jaguar batteries topped up this way in a few hours there will be a few more posts by other members to confirm this You can buy chargers now that use a quick connect disconnect lead that fixes into the car so you can plug a flying lead from the charger in and walk away
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998

6. Thanks Gaz03SE thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I have a charger with a quick connect lead for my motorbike but not sure if it's suitable for cars. Might invest in a Ctek MXS 5.0 that I've read about on here.
    2003 S-Type 3.0 SE Auto

Post Thanks / Like
    I've charged my battery still connected without hassle. I connect the charger whilst it's off then turn it on. Similarly, turn it off before disconnecting the leads - all done to reduce any risk of sparks / surges.

9. Thanks Gaz03SE thanked for this post
    Likes Irish Pappy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a plan that will work
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998

11. Likes Gaz03SE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz03SE View Post
    Thanks. I have a charger with a quick connect lead for my motorbike but not sure if it's suitable for cars. Might invest in a Ctek MXS 5.0 that I've read about on here.

That should do the trick Gaz, the CTEK MXS 5.0 is a good piece of kit but do read the small print and be sure to connect the positive to the battery and the negative to an earth point on the car and NOT the battery negative. Although it might not properly explain it's to do with a potentially adverse effect on the car's electrics/ecu etc. apparently ... best to be on the safe side eh?
    2005 (55) X-type 2.0d S saloon ~ Zircon/Champagne/Belize.

13. Thanks Gaz03SE thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will try not to blow myself up!!!!
    2003 S-Type 3.0 SE Auto

Post Thanks / Like
    Rowley, won't the quick connect lead be connected to positive & negative terminals? Have ordered a Ctek so will have a read when it arrives.
    2003 S-Type 3.0 SE Auto

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast