Thread: Passenger Wing Mirror Issue

Post Thanks / Like

Passenger Wing Mirror Issue

Afternoon all,

So, one of the issues I have on my XJ is the passenger wing mirror does not fold in. It sounds like the motor is turning so I have hope it just needs a clean out and an good does of grease to free it up.

I have tried to look online and here to see how you remove the wing mirror cover but nothing is 100% clear, I think there are a few locking clips that need to be released after I have taken the mirror motor out. If anyone can confirm or point me in the correct direction to remove the cover that would be much appreciated. If not I will take some photo's of how I get on and maybe add them to a handy guide here for others to use in the future.

Regards

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    One of mine was reluctant to move a few years ago. I kept spraying WD40 at it from every angle and then persuading it to move while operating it at the switch. Eventually it started to go, then, after a bit more movement it was perfect. Now I remember to move them in once a week, they've been perfect since.
    2007 S type R, Radiance Red/ Champagne, all options but for the sunroof. Oh, and the garage door opener.
    Added MP3 audio connectivity module.

Post Thanks / Like
    They get crudded up with corrosion some info on remedial here https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=112694
    Rhubarb, 2003 Super V8 Radiance Red,Sepangs, Iron Fist Velvet Glove. I am not a car guy.

Going back thru time
    Volvo V70 D5-Gary
    Bmw 530d E39
    Bmw 520d touring F11
    Bmw 330d touring F31
    Bmw 330d coupe E92
    Volvo 960 Cd estate, greedy bugger
    Mercedes W124 300d multivalve,loved the chip fat
    Porsche 997 C2
    Honda Civic Cdti
    Astra 1.6
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    VW Golf GTDi
    Subaru Impreza Turbo Terzo
    Mazda MX6
    Carlton 2.0 Cdi
    Mercedes 190e
    Orion Ghia i
    Audi 90 2.2
    Mini

10 vans and a Jcb 533 105

Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to remember seeing that you can pop the little light out from underneath, then you can actually fold it back further than you would think and generally dig out the gunge. I heard that lithium grease was the best lubricant to use. You are correct about the clips holding the back on, I think it was also mentioned turning the mirror glass as far in towards the car and then look through with a torch, once you get the first couple of clips eased off the others should gently follow.
    Previous Jaguars : 1985 4.2 Sov, 1988 3.6 Sov, 1990 4.0 Sov, 1994 3.2 Sov, 1998 4.0 Sov lwb, 2000 4.0 Sov lwb.2003 XJ 350 3.5se, 2011 XJL 3.0 Luxury
    Current cars : 2015 XJL 3.0 Portfolio, 2004 Xj Super V8 SWB, 2008 Transit ( my work van ), 2008 Mercedes GL420, 2015 Mercedes S500 AMG line

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave

When I had the same problem, I removed the mirror glass. Very easy to do (plenty of info on here on how to do it) and then used WD40 while manually moving the unit back and forth. If it is full of crud that will soon cure it.

Phil
    Phil

2004 Jaguar XJ6

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the advise, I had a little go tonight, Removed the mirror and the puddle light (and plastic surround) It was really bad with corrosion. I had a look at the manual to try and remove the mirror motor and get right in there, low and behold the screwed had rotted and two are broke inside. One I might be able to turn out, the other is a drill job I think. Have taken a few pictures and will look to upload here for any future help.

I did WD40 the hell out of it (Thanks MrKis) if i fold the mirror right back, the motor brings the mirror round nicely, but getting it to fold in is still a bit poor, I'll keep on with the WD40 and try the Lithium Grease to see if that help.

Thank you all for the comments, I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards

Dave

7. Likes FlatCap liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So quick update, Let my wife take her 1st drive in the car and low and behold the wing mirror is now going in / out smoothly.

I'll put this one down to the WD40 settling in and a few more gentle assists by hand, She now thinks she's a Jaguar technician

I'll post some pictures online over the BH weekend for documentation purposes and any future questions from new members.

Thanks for the help with this one all.

Regards

Dave

9. Likes FlatCap liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well done, just keep exercising them, then remember to use them every week.
    In, out, in, out... keep that button finger straight.
    2007 S type R, Radiance Red/ Champagne, all options but for the sunroof. Oh, and the garage door opener.
    Added MP3 audio connectivity module.

11. Likes Dave P1403 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As promised, I have put together a small visual guide for anyone else who wants to dive into pulling the wing mirrors apart. I have tried adding this to the forum but keep getting a failed upload. Do I need to send this to an Admin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of us just blather on on our ownership threads, if you dont have on do a separate one so any body can find it at after?
    Rhubarb, 2003 Super V8 Radiance Red,Sepangs, Iron Fist Velvet Glove. I am not a car guy.

Going back thru time
    Volvo V70 D5-Gary
    Bmw 530d E39
    Bmw 520d touring F11
    Bmw 330d touring F31
    Bmw 330d coupe E92
    Volvo 960 Cd estate, greedy bugger
    Mercedes W124 300d multivalve,loved the chip fat
    Porsche 997 C2
    Honda Civic Cdti
    Astra 1.6
    Jeep Grand Cherokee