Jaguar Forum banner

My 2016 XF 3.0d S ownership thread

49K views 393 replies 31 participants last post by  GeoJag90 
#1 ·
Drove the XE up to Grange Swindon Jaguar and collected my XF S yesterday. Was all a bit odd as the actual dealership was closed, so had to arrive via the side entrance and then go to a car bay. My car was parked up inside, with a table and chairs next to it so we could sort out the online paperwork.

The XE handover was quite swift, I removed all my personal data from the touch pro (that infotainment is great by the way) and then had a look around the XF. Which looked in great shape, just a minor mark on a couple of alloys which will get sorted when the workers come back off furlough.

Anyway, here's some pictures of the new car, it definitely takes a bit of getting used driving the diesel way as it was great sending the petrol XE over 6k rpm.

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice Ian, good call, the 3.0d will have plenty of grunt and good economy too, she looks great.

I'm sure you'll improve and make her better, put your stamp on it.

Looking forward to your updates on this car / thread

Jim

#6 ·
I love mine, it is the second 3.0D that I have owned.

The diesel has a different pick up to the petrol that takes a bit of getting used to, but once you have adapted the extra torque makes it really good fun.

#7 ·
It's got a place for your sunglasses!

Countdown till Jim starts badgering you to get a remap 5 .. 4 .. 3 ..

#8 ·
Lol, or perhaps until MacChrisDoc advises you of the benefits of using "Eastern Europeans" or better still refraining from washing altogether

That said a remap would be good, although really quite quick as is to be fair

Jim

#9 ·
Today I fitted the new luxury mats, illuminated tread plates and the aluminium paddles are sorted too. Awaiting on a couple more parts for the black pack before I get round to sorting that for fitting.

#10 ·
I remapped my 2.2D X-Type and although it was better for a short time, I ultimately regretted it. Jaguar spend millions on getting the engines to run smoothly under all conditions.

If you want the S performance, it is better to buy an S spec model.

#12 ·
Yeah the outer two close, inner two are fixed.

#14 ·
Gave the brakes a bit of a clean up front and rear and changed a couple of parts, the brake retainer clips and the red cover plates as there were both looking a bit worse for wear. The cover plates were £20 each for the fronts (T4N16179) which included new t20 torx screws which I thought weren't bad.

I think they look much better now.

#16 ·
Yeah I think you might be right there, they aren't lipped but they don't look in the best of condition.

Apologies Steve I hit dislike by mistake, so have all 3!

#17 ·
Cracking car Ian :grin:

Not had it 2 minutes and already adding your personal touches to it, can't fault you.

Come the next Gaydon I'll be having a right butchers and sitting in it if you'll let me.

Wasted no time in fitting illuminated treadplates unlike one I could mention ;)

Looking forward to reading and seeing more,

Rich

#19 ·
Thanks! You're more than welcome to have a sit in and look around inside Rich.

I'm still waiting on black pack parts, I'll no doubt be fitting a part of it every so often as it's quite labour intensive to fit all at once.

Then I'll get the boot carpet to match the carpet mats and I'll be set for a while then. Next task is to clean out the engine bay as it isn't 100% but it gives me something to do.

#21 ·
Bit of downtime, so I decided to fit the gloss black side vents. I think they look great with the black on black look. Very easy to fit, just a series of clips all round the vent and remove, they were a bargain £80 2nd hand off eBay in great condition. Otherwise they're £230 new from Jaguar.

Excuse the dust, it's parked outside near a tree.

Reactions: V6 JDT
#22 ·
Bit of downtime, so I decided to fit the gloss black side vents. I think they look great with the black on black look.
Lovely. Looks very appropriate.

Excuse the dust, it's parked outside near a tree.
Shocking. Excused, but just this once, mind.

#24 ·
Well on with the changes / upgrades / mods already, nice one.

Is that a locking wheel nut Ian?

If so, with all the documented issues are you chancing it or getting rid?

Jim

#25 ·
I'm probably tempting fate, but I've never had an issue with the locking wheel nuts from Jaguar. I usually remove them enough times a year for them not to be an issue.

#28 ·
Thought I would fit the gloss black boot plinth whilst I had some free time after work. What an awkward thing to fit! I had to strip apart the boot lid, remove the trim edge covers that slide under the lights and then 8 x 8mm nuts to undo the actual plinth. Remove the reverse camera, two small cover panels either side of the camera and then it can be removed. Do the reverse to fit the new one and now I have a gloss black plinth.

The chrome is slowly being deleted.

#30 ·
Looking good Ian.

Are you having the wheels done in black or leaving them silver?
Silver for me ( as an oldie ) not a fan of the murdered out look myself, Ian being a young whippersnapper may think differently.

My money's on him keeping them silver though

Jim

Reactions: Paul in NE
#31 ·
I'm going to leave the wheels silver, I think it provides a nice contrast against the black.

The full murdered out look is a bit too far for me, but with it being in S trim I think the black pack suits the styling well.

Reactions: Paul in NE
#32 ·
Looks like a great Jag Ian..

How does it compare to your XE? :cool:

I quite like the diesel, i managed to nab a test drive of an XF when i had a part time job at a jag dealer, loved the way it drove, i found using the column shifters to hold her in a higher gear to make maximum use of the increased torque, the diesel felt quicker than the petrol equivalent IMO ;)

#33 ·
Thanks Henry, the XE was a great handling sports saloon and felt light on it’s feet compared to the XF.

The XF feels much more insulated but still very agile although obviously not as tight in the corners as the XE, it’s a great cruiser especially with the adaptive dynamics and the large Diesel engine. The shove in the back with the torque as you floor it is very addictive, a very different experience instead of revving out a petrol engine.

#37 ·
The XF feels much more insulated but still very agile although obviously not as tight in the corners as the XE, it's a great cruiser especially with the adaptive dynamics and the large Diesel engine. The shove in the back with the torque as you floor it is very addictive, a very different experience instead of revving out a petrol engine.
Interesting to read your back to back comparisson of the XE v XF. Had been thinkinking of an XE as a replacement for my XF (250) as I would now prefer something a little smaller and the running costs would be better particularly if I went diesel which I haven't ruled out. The lock down put everything on hold but now dealers are open again I will try both petrol and diesel when things have settled down - still some reservations about the interior of the XE as I have said previously - the XF(260) looks nicer inside!

#35 ·
The petrol S versions are quite rare compared and so aren’t as easy to get in the spec that I wanted. The diesel S seems to offer more spec for less money too, which then tempted me into this one. On paper the petrol S has much more power and is 0.7 sec quicker to 60, but the torque of the diesel seems to suit the XF really well.

Reactions: r04drunner1
#36 ·
The petrol S versions are quite rare compared and so aren't as easy to get in the spec that I wanted. The diesel S seems to offer more spec for less money too, which then tempted me into this one. On paper the petrol S has much more power and is 0.7 sec quicker to 60, but the torque of the diesel seems to suit the XF really well.
I find modern diesels suit a cruisers roll much better than a petrol :cool:

a low revving and high torque makes them an effortless cruising companion :idea:

#38 ·
The petrol XE I managed to get put 45mpg on the motorway with the ingenium 25t. The XF interior is a nice place to sit, but they are in two different markets. The XF has so much more insulation compared to the XE which I noticed, with extra seals between the panel gaps, double seals on the doors, extra seals on the bootlid. Makes it much quieter when cruising, the XE just handled so well though, best I’ve driven in a long time. Even put my previous XK to shame with cornering, no doubt due to the torque vectoring via braking.

#41 ·
The petrol XE I managed to get put 45mpg on the motorway with the ingenium 25t. The XF interior is a nice place to sit, but they are in two different markets. The XF has so much more insulation compared to the XE which I noticed, with extra seals between the panel gaps, double seals on the doors, extra seals on the bootlid. Makes it much quieter when cruising, the XE just handled so well though, best I've driven in a long time. Even put my previous XK to shame with cornering, no doubt due to the torque vectoring via braking.
In an ideal world I would like the refinement of an XF and the handling of an XE but sadly there will have to be a compromise. Planning a couple of test drives in an XE in the near future - being unaccompanied will suit me fine lol!

#40 ·
The XE is crying out for a really interesting engine, such a good chassis and nothing but i4 engines. Which I could get onboard with, were they teamed with a decent electric motor, like a 330e.
Where are the ingenium 6 cylinders?

#42 ·
My 3.0D S XF manages a decent 38mpg going to work and about 58mpg on the motorway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.