Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changing Rear Brake Discs & Pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Changing Rear Brake Discs & Pads.

My rear discs are starting to corrode, and wondering if it's a Diy job.

I've seen a thread in the X250 XF Section about changing rear discs & pads so i take it it will be the same procedure on the X260 XF, it's the parking brake that could cause a problem, but i take it if the parking brake is switched off and ignition left alone everything will be fine.
    Any more information about the parking brake off and what position should i leave the ignition and is the smart key left in the car and can i lock the car if the job is only half done would be much appreciated.

The Front discs & pads were renewed when I bought the car and being a Ford Garage they'll probably will be Ford parts that were fitted, so i will probably fit Ford rear discs, but i'm wondering if I should buy genuine jaguar brake pads as some members prefer the genuine jaguar brake pads.

I'll need to check how much brake dust is created between the new fronts pads and the rears which are genuine jaguar pads, and is there some where i can find what the torque settings are.

Many Thanks.

Regards Tom.
    Now driving an XF 2017 model 2 litre 180 hp Diesel Portfolio Ammonite Grey and Light Oyster Leather /Oyster Carpets.
    Previous.
    2009 X Type 2:2 Auto Sovereign.
    2008 X Type 2:2 Auto S Basic.
    2005 X Type 2 litre manual SE.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is nothing unusual about the brakes. Just apply the brakes as normal a few times before putting them into use.

Try to catch the brakes before you get the brake warning light, if you get the brake warning light then you will need to reset it.
    2067 plate XF 3.0TD-V6 Sport Sportbrake, another ex-demonstrator with all the toys.

2013 XF Sportbrake 3.0TD-V6 Premium Luxury. All the toys that were available.

Previous Jag's. 2001 2.5V6 X type SE Saloon & 2008 2.2TDi X type Sovereign Estate.

3. Thanks Trooper thanked for this post
    Likes Trooper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy5112405 View Post
    There is nothing unusual about the brakes. Just apply the brakes as normal a few times before putting them into use.

Try to catch the brakes before you get the brake warning light, if you get the brake warning light then you will need to reset it.
    Thanks for your reply.
    It's more too do with the electric parking brake, do I just release the epbrake and start dismantling and would I need a rewind tool.
    Now driving an XF 2017 model 2 litre 180 hp Diesel Portfolio Ammonite Grey and Light Oyster Leather /Oyster Carpets.
    Previous.

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I know, just wind it back and it will self adjust.
    2067 plate XF 3.0TD-V6 Sport Sportbrake, another ex-demonstrator with all the toys.

2013 XF Sportbrake 3.0TD-V6 Premium Luxury. All the toys that were available.

Previous Jag's. 2001 2.5V6 X type SE Saloon & 2008 2.2TDi X type Sovereign Estate.

6. Thanks Trooper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy5112405 View Post
    As far as I know, just wind it back and it will self adjust.
    Yes this is correct.

Just leave the EPB off and do not touch it until you have finished the job.

Dab the foot brake a few times and everything should be OK.

And you definitely need a rewind tool for the rear brakes and a 7mm Allen socket. (my XF was).
    2010 Jaguar XJL V8 Portfolio.

8. Thanks Trooper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by #steve View Post
    Yes this is correct.

Just leave the EPB off and do not touch it until you have finished the job.

Dab the foot brake a few times and everything should be OK.

And you definitely need a rewind tool for the rear brakes and a 7mm Allen socket. (my XF was).
    Thanks for your reply.
    I've been looking at threads on the X250 section and i believe it's a clockwise rewind tool that is need.
    Previous.

10. Likes #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought this kit off eBay which has both left and right tools.

Also, the indents in the piston are oddly spaced and the correct part is in the kit.

Edit, it is the clockwise tool.
    2010 Jaguar XJL V8 Portfolio.

12. Thanks Trooper thanked for this post
    Likes Trooper, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be on the safe side you could pull the EPB fuse (F35 in rear fusebox) just check as this applies to my S type.

I wound my pistons back ( clockwise) using a pair of water pump pliers (the tool I bought had the wrong two prong adaptor) bit of a faff but doable.

I used Redstuff pads (my previous Pagid ones were very dusty) I find the Redstuffs a lot less dusty.

Good luck.............................................. ..IP
    2006 3.0Ltr. S type ..... Radiance Red Metallic, Chrome grille complete with Red and Black S Type Growler badge, fully loaded.
    Hands free smartphone connected successfully thanks to members of the forum!

14. Thanks Trooper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no need to remove fuses or doing anything crazy with the EPB. There is a service mode that you can access for it, as follows:

Turn ignition on first.

Hold EPB switch in "off" position for two seconds, then, keeping it pressed, floor the accelerator for two seconds.

Holding both in the same position, toggle ignition off then on rapidly - EPB goes to "service" or "maintenance" mode.

Turn ignition off and replace pads.

To reset - do the same thing but holding the EPB switch in the "on" position.
    Current Car:
    2016 XF 3.0d S, 17MY - 35k miles, Ultimate Black and loads of extras.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY

Resident Super Moderator.
    My 2016 x260 XF 3.0d S ownership thread

16. Thanks Trooper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    There is no need to remove fuses or doing anything crazy with the EPB. There is a service mode that you can access for it, as follows:

Turn ignition on first.

Hold EPB switch in "off" position for two seconds, then, keeping it pressed, floor the accelerator for two seconds.

Holding both in the same position, toggle ignition off then on rapidly - EPB goes to "service" or "maintenance" mode.

Turn ignition off and replace pads.

To reset - do the same thing but holding the EPB switch in the "on" position.
    Thanks for your reply Ian.

This is the first car i've had with the EPB, and that is really helpful information.
    Previous.

18. Likes Ian D liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast