Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: P0251 fault...car starts then cuts out. Help please!

Post Thanks / Like

P0251 fault...car starts then cuts out. Help please!

Hi All.

My wife went to drive the car to work this morning, it started, ran rough, then cut out. Gearbox faults and glow plug warnings on the dash.

Looking online, thought it could be the actuator sticking, but that's all working.

Plugged in my code reader, got fault code PO251 Injection Pump fuel metering control fault. I don't know when the fuel filter was last changed, as I've not had the car very long, so I am going to try that, but not holding out much hope for it being that to be honest. Checked fuel rail and it's all clean and dry, no leaks.

In short, the car starts, runs rough, a bit rattly, then after 5 seconds engine stops. Can restart it, same happens. Warning lights on dash as explained.

It's a 2.2d 2009 with 93K on the clock. Was running perfectly until this morning. Any help or advice on where to look would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it would be wise to take a serious look at the fuel filter...
    Jaguar X-Type Estate 2.0D - Classique - 2004

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. Ordered one. I'm not hopeful to be honest as it was running fine yesterday. I'm also going to remove and clean the EGR. Thanks.
    2009 Jaguar X-type Sovereign. 2.2d saloon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do not forget to fill the filter up to the top before connecting it.
    Jaguar X-Type Estate 2.0D - Classique - 2004

Post Thanks / Like
    erm - assuming there is fuel in it - and assuming that it is diesel (!) - if it ran OK yesterday and not today I would look at the Injection Metering valve (IMV) as a blocked fuel filter would show a gradual deterioration.

Take the air filter out of the way (can leave it all connected), 3 x 10mm bolts to undo it's support bracket and then you can get to the HP pump, make sure all the connections to the pump are connected (its the brown connector if I remember correctly). If the IMV is broken pretty sure it would give the symptoms mentioned, replacement is £60, if your reader will give live data check the fuel pressure during starting. The IMV can be checked but the torx are done up bldy tight!

Also drain filter from water trap on the bottom of the filter :
    1) into a BLACK aerosol lid and shine a light in top look for swarf - NO other method of examination will work for swarf
    2) into a clear jar to check for other contamination (ie water) and give a good sniff for petrol...

What is odd is that is the only code, would expect other codes set for an IMV fault.
    Last edited by x-files; 03-06-20 at 11:35.
    X-Type 06 2.0L Diesel Estate - "Schrodinger"- Now rescued from the clutches of the evil physicist.. the cat is purrring

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok..thank you. It's raining here today, so will have a look at the IMV tomorrow. I have shone a torch down to the pump. Can't see any leaks, no smell of diesel, and I can see a blue and a brown connector on the pump. They look secure. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blue is the fuel temp sensor, brown is IMV. I would do the filter fuel checks first.
    If you bought from a dealer within the last 90 days- take it back!
    X-Type 06 2.0L Diesel Estate - "Schrodinger"- Now rescued from the clutches of the evil physicist.. the cat is purrring

Post Thanks / Like
    Update:

Had the fuel regulator off, checked it and it's functioning correctly. The gauze filter on the regulator was clean. Blanked EGR to rule out that being stuck open, exactly the same, no difference.

I'm collecting a new fuel filter this afternoon. Removed old one, drained fuel into a black container as mentioned, fuel looked clean, so I really don't think it's the filter.

Is there anything else I can check, or is it now likely to be a faulty injector or something?

Thanks again for the replies so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also try disconnecting the EGR power connector.

Sometimes, probably most of the time the electronics fail in EGRs because they suffer condensation inside.

If only the EGR PCB is faulty it will run fine when you disconnect. After a while it will light the EML on the dash to indicate the EGR is not connected.
    Vehicle: : 2006 Black Jaguar X400 | 6 Speed Manual Transaxle - MMT6 | Series 60 | 2198ccm Duratorq 16V TC CF1 155HP 114KW 150PS - Puma | 4 Door Saloon. Upgrades: LED interior light | Leather gear gaiter | Solid wheel nuts Mileage: Approaching 200K miles. Owned since: January 2016 Special features: Attractive driver with GSOH.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok. Tried disconnecting EGR, no difference. Fuel filter change has also made no difference.

There is a beeping sound under the bonnet for the brief time it runs, beeps after it stalls too. Can't tell where it's coming from, but it's quite loud. The dash warning also says "Gearbox fault" ??

Thanks again for the suggestions.

11. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast