Thread: Help ! removed secondary FPR and air rail, now runs like crap

Post Thanks / Like

Help ! removed secondary FPR and air rail, now runs like crap

OK, regarding my 89 xjs. I removed the air rail and the secondary FPR as suggested by a lot of members on this site. Got to admit it opens up the whole top of the engine. Found tons of washers, nuts, bolts, even a couple of sockets in the " no mans land " area. Plus I can now clean it. Makes for a much better looking engine. But, it now runs on 3- maybe 5 cylinders until warm. I can give it gas, take it up to 6-6500 rpm no problem. Once warm, idles at 750 rpm, and purrs as it always has. Its just those initial few minutes. I can still balance a Cdn loonie on its edge on the cam cover. Not smooth enough for a quarter yet. But that first 2-3 min, h--l ! SCARY !
    What have I missed, done wrong. No leaks at all that I can find to do with either system. Re: the frp,the vacumn hose at the front of the cam cover, I reconnected it. Should it be plugged ?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 89cat View Post
    OK, regarding my 89 xjs. I removed the air rail and the secondary FPR as suggested by a lot of members on this site. Got to admit it opens up the whole top of the engine. Found tons of washers, nuts, bolts, even a couple of sockets in the " no mans land " area. Plus I can now clean it. Makes for a much better looking engine. But, it now runs on 3- maybe 5 cylinders until warm. I can give it gas, take it up to 6-6500 rpm no problem. Once warm, idles at 750 rpm, and purrs as it always has. Its just those initial few minutes. I can still balance a Cdn loonie on its edge on the cam cover. Not smooth enough for a quarter yet. But that first 2-3 min, h--l ! SCARY !
    What have I missed, done wrong. No leaks at all that I can find to do with either system. Re: the frp,the vacumn hose at the front of the cam cover, I reconnected it. Should it be plugged ?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Is the car hunting? I.e the revs going up and down like the car wants to shut off? If so then you have an air leak, best way to find is grab a can of wd40 and squirt it around the joints slowly to find out which one is leaking