Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Potential new XF S owner, looking for advice

Post Thanks / Like

Potential new XF S owner, looking for advice

Hi all
    I'm going to test drive an XF 3.0d Sportbrake on Tuesday, I've already sat in it but didn't have a drive. What are the main items that I should be looking for/ at? It's 12 months old and covered around 9000 miles. It is an ex Jaguar car, any issues with this?
    I've read the stories about the infotainment issues, but I believe the 3.0d V6 is pretty reliable?
    Also, looking for advice on service plans/ costs etc....
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Aldo, coming from driving awd VAG cars for the last 8 years, how much of an issue will we likely find all that torque through the rear wheels? What's wet weather performance like? I do have a rear drive weekend toy so I am used to rear wheel drive.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    At that age and under warranty, I don't think there will be many mechanical issues to worry about. I'd look the body over carefully including the wheels. Dealers do a good job of painting over any damage before sale. Personally I'd like to know if it's had any paintwork before I buy. Best to be informed. Look over each panel carefully and slowly.
    Have a good look over the tyres.

With modern stability programs rear traction is more of pain than a crash inducer but you are going to spin up the rears when it's wet. Well, at least I imagine you will, if you drive around gently you won't but then I imagine you wouldn't need 300bhp for that either.

Familiarise yourself with the issues of short runs in modern diesel cars too.
    2007 S type R, Radiance Red/ Champagne

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand a lot of ‘ex Jaguar’ cars are actually ‘ex Rental’ cars. Check very carefully.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think some might have been Jaguar customer loan cars. But Jaguar does employ thousands of people in the Uk eligible for company cars. You can usually work it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, I'll see what tomorrow brings

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok

Back from the test drive, really enjoyed it, lovely car. A couple of things though that someone may be able to help with......

I noticed on non perfect country lanes that there was abit of a boomy/ pressure build up (could feel it in my ears if that makes sense)? My wife noticed it too. Strangely I had a Skoda Octavia estate which created the same feeling. Has anyone noticed this? I assume it's down to the volume of air/ pressure inside the estate body shape.....

Secondly, when braking at motorway speeds there was a shaking/ judder through the steering wheel, is this a symptom of disc warp or likely just a build up of rust? Anyone else noticed this?

Compared to the Volvo V90 we've driven it isn't as quiet in the cabin or as well isolated from road/ wind noise but I did prefer it to the Volvo in many other ways.

Any advice on the cabin pressure/ noise and brakes would be appreciated.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Another XF sportbrake owner will help you with the noise. - Might be worth driving another for comparison - tyre pressures and brand may effect this too.

The steering judder will be where the car has sat and the discs have rusted, being regularly washed without moving. Sometimes use can clear this up. What happens is where the disc has pitted these areas get pad transfer on them and this causes the pulsing. I would get them to change the discs and pads as it might take a long while to get rid of in normal use.

As for the V90, I had a momentum 2019 for a month and really liked it. Dynamically nowhere near the Jag but easy to live with. To compare road noise you'd need to make sure the tyre width and sizes were similar. Lots of XFs run low profile fat rubber and lots of V90s don't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, both the V90 and the XF were running the exact same size tyres 255/35/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was an ex Jaguar car. It is now OK but did have issues when I bought it.
    2067 plate XF 3.0TD-V6 Sport Sportbrake, another ex-demonstrator with all the toys.

2013 XF Sportbrake 3.0TD-V6 Premium Luxury. All the toys that were available.

Previous Jag's. 2001 2.5V6 X type SE Saloon & 2008 2.2TDi X type Sovereign Estate.

Post Thanks / Like
    What issues did you have Andy?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast