Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Was Jeremy Clarkson right that the front end lifts at high speed?

Post Thanks / Like

Was Jeremy Clarkson right that the front end lifts at high speed?

His exact words were that past 130mp/h the front end lifts and the steering becomes light, does anyone have experience of this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy one and find out!
    2014 XK Dynamic R Coupe (no backbox, supercharger pulley upgrade and K&N's)
    Peugeot 2008 EAT6 with pan roof and heated seats - new addition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossinin View Post
    His exact words were that past 130mp/h the front end lifts and the steering becomes light, does anyone have experience of this?
    It is probably true of the early cars but it is relative. I expect it is still fairly stable even at these speeds. Will you be heading passed 130 mph often? If yes, the genuine front splitter is supposed to actually work adding a significant amount of downforce at the front!!! I have seen 150 or so on mine and there was no problem with lift. The standard suspension setting is better at speed though than the too stiff dynamic setting which is better for slower, windy roads.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Surely this is academic since none of us will responsibly achieve that speed in the UK on the public road.

Granted that early one Sunday morning one might see such a speed, briefly, on a deserted stretch of motorway.

Personally I’d bow to Clarkson’s more comprehensive experience of very high speed driving than my own and believe him, in respect of the early 2006/7 XK, like mine, at least.

On the other hand, if you’re asking because you plan to do some track driving, then you may get a more comprehensive answer from a member with such experience.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're planning on just blasting down the Autobahn (once travel restrictions lifted etc etc) then I don't think it would be too much of an issue anyway as the turns are all wide and sweeping...
    2011 Jaguar XK 5.0 V8 (NA)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trw999 View Post
    Surely this is academic since none of us will responsibly achieve that speed in the UK on the public road.
    The OP does not state where he/she is located. On a lightly loaded Autobahn, in a stable car, one can easily do 110-130 mph and it really does help cover ground effectively. Much more is mainly for fun and maybe public roads are not the right place for it though many Germans do it regularly. When the traffic is denser, attempting to go faster than the rest is pretty futile.

On most tracks, you will rarely see 130 mph in a heavy 300 bhp car, so not that much of a hitter either unless you have it pedal to the metal at Döttinger Höhe

Quote Originally Posted by Dry View Post
    If you're planning on just blasting down the Autobahn (once travel restrictions lifted etc etc) then I don't think it would be too much of an issue anyway as the turns are all wide and sweeping...
    I'm not sure. For mere mortals, any curve at 140 mph amongst other traffic is significant enough and I have seen some pretty "tight" bend here too where 80 plus seems fast!
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    ... pedal to the metal at Döttinger Höhe
    I have often thought of crossing the Nürburgring off of my bucket list, but I'm not sure that they would put up with an X351 going at 29 mph using indicators to pass cyclists! (... let alone slowing for puddles, in case they hid a pothole)

8. Likes Jimbov8, Ian D, taffyhornblower, RWD3M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it was the spoiler blamed for pushing the back down, causing the front to lift. So presumably a stiffer suspension would fare a little better.
    2007 S type R, Radiance Red/ Champagne

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKis View Post
    I believe it was the spoiler blamed for pushing the back down, causing the front to lift. So presumably a stiffer suspension would fare a little better.
    So add something that creates a problem, then add something else to try to counter it... if you want to do 130mph+ maybe just get rid of the spoiler, which nice though it is I can't think is much more than eye-candy.

XKs are not racing cars, they're grand tourers.

11. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Jeremy couldn't hold the nose down with his ample bulk , then probably some.of us have no hope.

I have taken mine up to 145 on an airfield but that was in a straight line. No issues but with a later car, better suspension, super grippy MPS4S's and polybushes I didn't anticipate any

Has OP returned or just a trolling 1 post wonder?
    2014 XK Dynamic R Coupe (no backbox, supercharger pulley upgrade and K&N's)
    Peugeot 2008 EAT6 with pan roof and heated seats - new addition

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast