Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Easy theft prevention

Post Thanks / Like

Easy theft prevention

Normally I don't worry about theft and never had a car stolen. But when on the beach and keys cleverly hidden in shoes, or when driving in foreign countries and you read about our damn keys easy to read by criminals at lunch stops etc., our cars are easy to steal.

I was just wondering: Is there an easy way to stop a thief that has the key/key-info? Is there a fuse that's easy to remove? Is there a connector in the engine room that if not connected the computer won't let it start? Has anybody made a secret switch?

I could use such knowledge maybe 5 times per year. Or I could buy lock bar for steering wheel, but that's a bit crude...
    2007 Jaguar XKR Convertible, VIN 19844
    1978 DeTomaso Longchamp
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 650HP
    Author of Tuning Made Easy:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tuning-M...l-Hass/dp/8771144625

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a GPS puck with a sim card(GSM) that I hid in the car and I could switch off the fuelpump by sending a code to it. Also you can set up a perimeter so if the car passes that the gps puck will let you know.Mine was bought from AliExpress and only lasted 6 month or so before it died but there are better one's out there.
    There is no substitute for cubic inches!

Jaguar XK 4.2 2006

3. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are several theft deterrents available.

1) A manual battery kill switch which would be a pita to access each time.
    2) An automatic variant of above or on the fuel pump but means another remote, usually around £30+ (plus installation if beyond your skills.
    3) A visual deterrant such as a road wheel boot or a steering wheel lock. A road wheel boot for a 20" wheel is not cheap at £150+ and a decent steering wheel lock starts at around £30. The problem with these is you have to carry it around. As they are invariably large and of metal contruction I'd not be happy about having one rattling around in my boot, so it would probably have to sit on the rear seats strapped in or else behind the passenger seat.

Personally I think Jag security is quite good so I just ensure mine's locked and no valuables are left on display
    2014 XK Dynamic R Coupe (no backbox, supercharger pulley upgrade and K&N's)
    Peugeot 2008 EAT6 with pan roof and heated seats - new addition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
    But when on the beach and keys cleverly hidden in shoes, or when driving in foreign countries and you read about our damn keys easy to read by criminals at lunch stops etc., our cars are easy to steal.
    I assume you are already using a Faraday bag to make it hard to read the key?
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    I assume you are already using a Faraday bag to make it hard to read the key?
    No, I bought such a bag, but I could still drive the car away...
    2007 Jaguar XKR Convertible, VIN 19844
    1978 DeTomaso Longchamp
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 650HP
    Author of Tuning Made Easy:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tuning-M...l-Hass/dp/8771144625

Post Thanks / Like
    Then you must have done something wrong as the one I have, you can’t get in the car even with the bag on the roof.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't even know key reading was a thing. Are all brands subject to this?

One thing I have noticed about my Jaguar fob compared to my BMW fob is how flimsy and light it is. I have no idea why the BMW one is so much heavier and more solid feeling, but I do confess that it feels better in the hand and the perception of quality is higher with the Bimmer unit. It's probably just that age-old weight = quality but it's very noticeable.
    2012 Jaguar XK Coupe
    1964 Land Rover Series IIA 88

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Myron View Post
    I didn't even know key reading was a thing. Are all brands subject to this?

One thing I have noticed about my Jaguar fob compared to my BMW fob is how flimsy and light it is. I have no idea why the BMW one is so much heavier and more solid feeling, but I do confess that it feels better in the hand and the perception of quality is higher with the Bimmer unit. It's probably just that age-old weight = quality but it's very noticeable.
    BMW key fobs are no longer susceptible to this kind of theft as it will cut of the signal as soon as the fob senses its no longer moving so you can safly leave your fob on the table at home and the crims can not pick up the signal to start the car
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

Post Thanks / Like
    The one I bought had two pockets. Only one side of the inner divider works - the "rear" part. The front is for non-sensitive stuff, I guess.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    The one I bought had two pockets. Only one side of the inner divider works - the "rear" part. The front is for non-sensitive stuff, I guess.
    Exactly the same as mine Neil.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast