Thread: Removing and replacing the center console armrest

Post Thanks / Like

Question Removing and replacing the center console armrest

Hey everyone,

I've got a 2011 XF, and I want to replace the center console armrest (the current one has some nasty cracks in the leather). I opened the armrest hoping to find screws, but instead I found what look like little pins with knurled edges:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	armrest-pins.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	378.8 KB 
ID:	33976

Is this armrest an easy to replace part, and if so, what do I do to replace it? Will I rapidly be in over my head if I grab a pliers and pull on these pins? Thanks in advance for the replies!

- doop -

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never done it but ...
    I work on the principle that the retainers are generally straight forward. So, if there are no allen keys/ screw / nuts etc then it must be a simple friction fastener of some sort. So I'd grab the pliers and gently try to turn them first to see if they easily unscrew or maybe twist out. Then pull on them.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury
    2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux

Post Thanks / Like
    Hav a look on eBay - some are shown with the pins still attached which may help to identify how they are held in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well folks,

The replacement armrest came in the mail today. It was a simple matter to replace the old one -- grabbed each of those pins with a pair of pliers and pulled on them until they came loose, then just reversed the process with the new part.

Now the armrest looks new again!