Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: About finished the work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
    Hey don't beat me up if I did well enough in school to afford to have it done!
    No, no - no criticism intended, sir. i too can afford to have it done, but as I choose not to, that means that I now have won £1,200 to spend on other stuff as i please!

Decisions, decisions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Fair enough, Marky! If you've got money to burn, that's as good a way of spending it as any.

And respect for, despite presumably being able to spend pretty much as big a wedge as you like on a car, not being hypnotised by the badge and choosing a glorious X150 Jaguar in preference to some over-priced & over-rated Aston Martin.
    I had 4 choices at time of purchase

1) AM DB9 5.9 V12 (too much like the DB7 I'd owned in the early noughties and friends with them are plagued with huge bills)
    2) Nissan GTR (too boy racerish and zaust has an annoying note although the AWD would have been nice)
    3) Tesla S type (far too quiet and couldn't annoy the neighbours!)
    4) A late model XKR (and have a superb indy 5 miles away and on my commute to work so could drop it off and pic up a courtesy car with minimal hassle)

As you know I went for option 4 and don't regret it for one second!
    2014 XK Dynamic R Coupe (no backbox, supercharger pulley upgrade and K&N's)
    Peugeot 2008 EAT6 with pan roof and heated seats - new addition

3. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64, joc64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
    I had 4 choices at time of purchase

1) AM DB9 5.9 V12 (too much like the DB7 I'd owned in the early noughties and friends with them are plagued with huge bills)
    2) Nissan GTR (too boy racerish and zaust has an annoying note although the AWD would have been nice)
    3) Tesla S type (far too quiet and couldn't annoy the neighbours!)
    4) A late model XKR (and have a superb indy 5 miles away and on my commute to work so could drop it off and pic up a courtesy car with minimal hassle)

As you know I went for option 4 and don't regret it for one second!
    Well done you - good taste! And an intriguing list.

The Tesla is an interesting car to consider. When my Skoda Octavia 4x4 estate car (NOT an SUV or a "Crossover" - a name as stupid as the vehicles themselves - I hate pseudo off-road cars) eventually gives up the ghost in a few years time at 200,000 miles or so, I shall be considering a replacement 'sensible' / go anywhere / carry anything-and-do it-cheaply-and-reliably everyday car.

By then, all-electric cars will be mainstream (don't see the point of hybrids - you've got all the cost and complication of two drive systems instead of the vastly simpler and more reliable single all-electric one) and I would be considering a Tesla. Except that the S can't have a tow bar, the X is a clumsy great SUV, the 3 is a dumb saloon with no tailgate or hatchback and the Y is another wretched "crossover" (i.e., looks as dumb as an SUV but hasn't even got any proper off-road capability).

But for sheer driving fun (not as an everyday / do anything / go anywhere car obvs.) the forthcoming new Tesla coupe looks great. OK, loadsa money (although there are quite a few even more expensive cars out there) but vastly quicker than almost anything else. Cheap to run, removable roof, even a pair of Micky-Mouse seats in the back like an XK - what's not to like, except for the lack of dramatic noises?

Especially with a 0-60 time showing continuous acceleration well in excess of 1g all the way up to 60 mph and beyond. That means it accelerates much quicker than it would if you just threw it off the top of a cliff! Dunno how the tyres provide the necessary traction.
    Last edited by Titus; 28-06-20 at 11:31.
    Jaguar 2007 4.2 litre XK (X150) convertible
    Maxzda 2007 MX-5 2.0 litre (non - 'Sport') roadster-coupe
    Skoda 2007 Octavia 2.0TDI 4WD (not a Scout) estate
    Reliant 1975 Scimitar GTE SE5a (off the road after 243,000 from new)

5. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... for sheer driving fun ... the forthcoming new Tesla coupe looks great.
    I appreciate that this is a Jaguar X150 forum not a Tesla forum, but just in case anyone is interested, I have at last found a video clip which actually (in the second half) shows a bit of the layout and technical design of the new Tesla roadster, rather than yet another video showing Musk burbling on about Tesla being the greatest thing for mankind since the invention of the wheel:

7. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Likes MarkyM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Titus, it sounds like you need to look up Rivian!
    2011 Jaguar XK 5.0 V8 (NA)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry View Post
    Titus, it sounds like you need to look up Rivian!
    I'm afraid the only thing I want less than an SUV is a pick-up truck.

(Perhaps I ought to say is 'The thing y'all need to know is that I ain't wantin' no pick-up truck. No siree! Yee-ha! [starts strumming banjo)

10. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Likes MarkyM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm afraid the only thing I want less than an SUV is a pick-up truck.

(Perhaps I ought to say is 'The thing y'all need to know is that I ain't wantin' no pick-up truck. No siree! Yee-ha! [starts strumming banjo)
    But but... tank turning! Ain't no Tesla can do that!

Plus it'll handle your tow bar just fine and 0-60 is still 3s. Looks to be the best EV coming on the market in the next few years, especially with its range.

Perhaps it's worth being more open-minded after all... a pickup is one of those things you don't realise you need until you have one, at which point its utility becomes evident in so many different ways. (They also have an SUV version)
    2011 Jaguar XK 5.0 V8 (NA)

Post Thanks / Like
    This was interesting on why it's not worth waxing on top of a ceramic coating:

https://avalonking.com/blog/can-you-...amic-coatings/
    2014 XK Dynamic R Coupe (no backbox, supercharger pulley upgrade and K&N's)
    Peugeot 2008 EAT6 with pan roof and heated seats - new addition

Post Thanks / Like
    ...the new Tesla roadster
    Pity Jaguar didn't call the convertible XK a roadster. There's track record after all, and 'convertible' is so unimaginative. Aston has Volante.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123