Thread: 16 XF Brakes / Rotors anything super special?

Post Thanks / Like

Question 16 XF Brakes / Rotors anything super special?

Hi,

I've got a 16 XF, and at the 47k checkup the dealer says I need new rotor/brakes on the back, and quoted $1300 for that, and another $210 to replace/refill with brake fluid.

Non-dealer brake place I called wanted 750 for the same thing.

I drive the car hard, and I bought the car because of how much I enjoy driving it. It's important to me that I don't lose that.

Is the dealer using OEM or high end parts that I will notice if I don't go with? Will it affect the traction control or anything else whatsoever if I go outside the dealer for the rotors/brakes? I don't want to spend another $800 for the dealer premium unless it actually goes towards something I'll notice.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds expensive to me. Personally I would do it myself.
    Take a look here, these include delivery to the States, maybe you could buy your own then get someone to fit them, it's not difficult; https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...acat=0&_fcid=1
    Train hard, fight easy.

Black on Ivory 5.0 Stratstone 'Le Mans' special edition XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    A bit more help for you;
    Train hard, fight easy.

Black on Ivory 5.0 Stratstone 'Le Mans' special edition XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbeliere View Post
    A bit more help for you;
    thats actually an X250

5. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow £1000 for rear disks and pads? I'm selling up and opening a brake place in the states.
    For a nation of petrol heads that prides itself on competition, You guys seem to get ripped off at every turn. From unnecessary "Lube Jobs" every 3,000 miles to ludicrous brake prices. Over here a dealer list price for the job is only £325 ($400) and the parts fit loads of cars so it's not Jaguar specific. As Corbeliere says, It's the easiest DIY job in the world and the parts are only £70 or so.
    Last edited by jberks; 29-06-20 at 09:26.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury
    2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jberks View Post
    Wow £1000 for rear disks and pads? I'm selling up and opening a brake place in the states.
    For a nation of petrol heads that prides itself on competition, You guys seem to get ripped off at every turn. From unnecessary "Lube Jobs" every 3,000 miles to ludicrous brake prices. Over here a dealer list price for the job is only £325 ($400) and the parts fit loads of cars so it's not Jaguar specific. As Corbeliere says, it's a very easy DIY job. You need a retracting tool but they're pretty cheap it's the easiest DIY job in the world and the parts are only £70 or so.
    You don't need a retracting tool on the X260, just put the EPB into service mode and it winds it back automatically for you. Using a wind back tool can actually ruin it.
    Current Car:
    2016 XF 3.0d S, 17MY - 35k miles, Ultimate Black and loads of extras.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY

Resident Super Moderator.
    My 2016 x260 XF 3.0d S ownership thread

8. Thanks X270, jberks, rtcosic thanked for this post
    Likes rtcosic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd doubt you'd notice any difference on the rear brakes because most of the braking is done on the front axle. I'm also pretty sure that non OEM braking parts must conform to a certain standard too.
    Occasionally fitting non OEM brake discs or pads can cause braking squeal but it depends on the parts.

If I was you, I'd buy the genuine parts and then either fit them myself or find a place to fit them at a reasonable cost.

If you do go for aftermarket items, EBC have a good reputation.
    2007 S type R, Radiance Red/ Champagne

Post Thanks / Like
    That is absolutely ridiculous, I got replacements for less than £100.
    2067 plate XF 3.0TD-V6 Sport Sportbrake, another ex-demonstrator with all the toys.

2013 XF Sportbrake 3.0TD-V6 Premium Luxury. All the toys that were available.

Previous Jag's. 2001 2.5V6 X type SE Saloon & 2008 2.2TDi X type Sovereign Estate.