Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More Battery Problems

Post Thanks / Like

More Battery Problems

Hi all,
    My 4.0L has been jacked up for the last 2 weeks having some rust prevention treatment on the sub-frames and sills, so I took out the battery and put it on a trickle charger while I was doing the job. When it went back in, voltage was 12.7V, yet as soon as I connected it up it went down to 12.4v (boot was shut, doors closed and nothing turned on). I turned on the headlights for 3 minutes, like one is recommended to do to clear any float charge, and afterwards battery tester showed 12.1 volts. So I assumed it was dud.
    However charging it up on the bench it achieves 12.7 volts easily, and still shows 12.7 volts after 3 or 4 days.
    Nonetheless I went to Halfords to buy a new one (Yuesa 019 silver - 5 year guarantee) I took my tester with me. They had 2 in stock both registering only 10v! So I declined to buy. As they are about £140, I thought I'd just check on the forum whether there is some other problem with the car before I go elsewhere, as it fires for a split second then immediately stops, so I thought it might have something to do with a poor battery. Could it be the immobiliser? I have had trouble with that before too, but in that case it didn't fire up at all.
    Anybody got any thoughts on this? I know there's a lot of stuff on the forum about batteries and starting issues, but I was thrown by the fact that the battery seems OK when out of the car!
    All comments gratefully received.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your battery sounds to have lost capacity. (The Halfords ones I would like you also avoid. Try www.tayna.co.uk )

What do you mean "fires for a split second then immediately stops"?

Be aware of "bore wash" which does affect the 4.0, but I don't think you mean that.

3. Likes Victor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks 04Str, by ,"fires up for a split second" I mean that it fires up and probably stops after firing on perhaps all cylinders once. That made me discount borewash and think immobiliser. But I also wondered whether the starter sucked all the juice out of the battery and there was insufficient voltage or ampage to keep the coils
    operating? I'm going for the battery I think.
    I'll keep you posted!

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't sound like immo (also, it would flash a code via the PATS light if so).

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think starting and then stopping is a common symptom of a failed battery.
    Unfortunately trying to diagnose a fault with a suspect battery in the loop can be a fools errand.
    2007 S type R, Radiance Red/ Champagne

Post Thanks / Like
    MrKis, you were right. Bought new battery, showing 12.7 volts on the shelf. Charged it to 13.1 v and stuck it it the car. No difference. Still won't start. Worse still, it won't even fire at all now. Just cranks and nothing! Strange because a couple of weeks ago it was running as sweet as a nut.
    Must be borewash. Has anyone tried Eazystart as a solution or have I got to take the plugs out and oil the bores? Don't like the idea of Eazystart much as I seem to remember someone saying it does more damage than good, although I often used it on my boat diesel engine because the heaters had packed up. Looks a bit of a job if its oiling the bores! Anythinv else that I can try first???

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have borewash Mike then stop cranking it, you’re just chucking more fuel in it.

If you want to try without removing the plugs then remove the fuel pump relay first. Now crank for 10 seconds then wait 30 seconds and crank again. Keep your right foot flat to floor. Hopefully you should here the engine note change as compression begins to build.

Refit the fuel pump relay and try to start with half throttle.

If that doesn’t work then the plugs will need to come out.

If you do get it running at some point you’ll need to change the oil.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

9. Likes S-Type Owner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jimbov8;1262792]If you have borewash Mike then stop cranking it, you’re just chucking more fuel in it.

Thanks Jimbo - sounds like that's an easier option - I hope it works, as I took one look under that nice piece of plastic under the bonnet and nearly fainted! It's just that as I get older, I'm less inclined to want to get stuck into strip downs, especially with these complicated set-ups. I keep thinking about my old Morris Minor in the 60's and how many times I re-built that engine. it was so easy! Radiator & grille, sixteen bolts and a couple of hoses and you could lift the engine out in your arms!
    I'll let you know if your solution works.
    Cheers

11. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi JimboV8,
    Well, your proposal re removing the fuel pump relay didn't work after all, Unfortunately. I thought I might overheat the starter motor if I carried on any longer! So it looks like a plugs out job. Hey Ho! or should I say SH*T!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to rule it out, have you checked the inertia switch hasn’t tripped?
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast