Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaguar XJL '16 Auto Boot Lift/Lower

Post Thanks / Like

Jaguar XJL '16 Auto Boot Lift/Lower

Hi, in March 2020, I had a Tracker fitted to my 2016 Jaguar XJL, which I bought in January 2020 ex-lease. Since then, the auto boot lift and lower has stopped working. The boot has to be manually lifted and lowered but still releases and 'soft closes'. Pressing the 'close' button produces a double beep. Tracker came out again and repositioned the Tracker unit away from the main electrics but no improvement. Any suggestions please? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome. Nice motor!

When you called tracker out, did you check if the boot worked with the tracker not fitted?

3. Thanks Jaguar XJ thanked for this post
    Likes #steve, Jaguar XJ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    Hello and welcome. Nice motor!

When you called tracker out, did you check if the boot worked with the tracker not fitted?
    Hi Chris

Thanks for the prompt response. Yes, the auto lift/lower worked perfectly well. The Tracker engineer closed the boot but when I drove to my local supermarket and returned to the car with my shopping, the boot partially opened but didn't lift. The boot openly manually but then it would only half close before meeting resistance so I was stuck with my shopping, a half open boot and a rainstorm approaching! I called out breakdown and he got it working but it stopped again shortly afterwards. Tracker came out and relocated their unit away from the electrics in the boot on the right hand side as you look from the rear of the car. The double beep makes me think it's a diagnostic reset of some kind. I plan to take it into my local Jaguar dealer anyway for a complete check over so my enquiry was really just out of curiosity in the event that it might have been a common problem. I see you have my car's 'big brother'. In 55 years of driving, the Jag XJL is definitely THE most stylish and comfortable car I have EVER driven - and there have been many! So much bang, bells and whistles for your money!

5. Likes #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome. You might need one of these.

Take the car to a Indy to check the electric motor.
    2010 Jaguar XJL V8 Portfolio.

7. Thanks Jaguar XJ thanked for this post
    Likes Jaguar XJ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers, Steve! Will do. This is all hugely helpful to a Jaguar newbie! Greatly appreciated. Ian.

9. Likes #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar XJ View Post
    Hi, in March 2020, I had a Tracker fitted to my 2016 Jaguar XJL, which I bought in January 2020 ex-lease. Since then, the auto boot lift and lower has stopped working. The boot has to be manually lifted and lowered but still releases and 'soft closes'. Pressing the 'close' button produces a double beep. Tracker came out again and repositioned the Tracker unit away from the main electrics but no improvement. Any suggestions please? Thanks.
    I have had similar, but not quite the same, problems. If the car is locked, I can press the button just below the boot lid and the boot opens all OK. If I then press the button on the boot lid to close the boot, I sometimes get a double beep and the boot will not close. To rectify the situation, if I unlock the rest of the car by either unlocking from the fob or opening a door, I can then close the boot with the button on the boot lid. I reported this when the car went in for its last service and they said that one of the door catches needed adjusting. Since they made the adjustment, the fault does re-occur but far less frequently. The boot lid has always opened on command.
    2017 XJ Autobiography - 67 Reg. + 2001 Mercedes SLK 3.2 (for a bit of fun)
    Previously - Jaguar XF Portfolio 3.0 litre Supercharged Petrol (63 Reg) in Italian Racing Red.
    2008 2.7 XF PL with all the extras. 2005 X Type Estate

11. Thanks Jaguar XJ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Chris - thanks! I'll give that a try although when I press the 'open' button on the car OR use the remote key's button, the boot releases about 4 inches or so and then stops. I have to manually list it to open it fully. The double beep happens when I try to auto-close it so, again, manually closing is the only option. I'm a stickler for things working as they should - in general - so I'll have it checked at my local independent although I do plan to have the car fully checked over by a Jaguar dealership. My local franchise in West London has good reviews from 3 separate sites. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar XJ View Post
    Hi Chris - thanks! I'll give that a try although when I press the 'open' button on the car OR use the remote key's button, the boot releases about 4 inches or so and then stops. I have to manually list it to open it fully. The double beep happens when I try to auto-close it so, again, manually closing is the only option. I'm a stickler for things working as they should - in general - so I'll have it checked at my local independent although I do plan to have the car fully checked over by a Jaguar dealership. My local franchise in West London has good reviews from 3 separate sites. Thanks again!
    The double beep is telling you that something else appears to be open as the action of closing boot is also trying to set the alarm if everything else is locked. Have you tried unlocking the car first and then trying to open the boot and also closing the boot with the rest of the car unlocked. Do you still get the double beep then ?
    I don't actually know what is involved with fitting the tracker as my tracker was factory fitted but it does seem too much of a coincidence if everything was working fine before.
    2017 XJ Autobiography - 67 Reg. + 2001 Mercedes SLK 3.2 (for a bit of fun)
    Previously - Jaguar XF Portfolio 3.0 litre Supercharged Petrol (63 Reg) in Italian Racing Red.
    2008 2.7 XF PL with all the extras. 2005 X Type Estate

14. Thanks Jaguar XJ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely blame the tracker rather than the car, if the error comes and goes with the tracker. I'm with Chris here: it seems that something is interfering with the boot's ability to register that the rest of the car is properly fettled for the boot to work.

But, as has been said before - enough of the oily rag stuff, get yourself busy posting pictures!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chris9369 View Post
    The double beep is telling you that something else appears to be open as the action of closing boot is also trying to set the alarm if everything else is locked. Have you tried unlocking the car first and then trying to open the boot and also closing the boot with the rest of the car unlocked. Do you still get the double beep then ?
    I don't actually know what is involved with fitting the tracker as my tracker was factory fitted but it does seem too much of a coincidence if everything was working fine before.
    I haven't used the car today [Tuesday] but will check out the all-unlock first option tomorrow and see what happens. I drove on Monday and thought I'd hit another glitch when the doors wouldn't lock. Again, with the beeps! I discovered that I hadn't fully closed the driver's door so the central locking wouldn't! I think the soft-close option isn't working now. I'm finding out new things about the car every day! I think it needs a complete diagnostic check and reset, similar to my previous Chrysler 300c. That got rid of so much junk that had accumulated. I'm happy to spend on the Jag to get everything working properly since it was an absolute bargain - big cars usually are! - so I want to look after it. Lockdown has delayed my pushing ahead with fixes. I'll get back to you on Wednesday, Chris with the latest episode of 'Jag XJL - This Time It's Personal' Thanks again for your suggestions. Greatly appreciated.

17. Likes #steve liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast