Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Views on higher mileage XJs.

Post Thanks / Like

Views on higher mileage XJs.

Afternoon all,

I have found a 2017 XJ with 100,000 miles on it. 5.0 V8 S/C. What are peoples views on these cars as high mileage offerings? I wouldn't be doing high mileage, my guess is that a large engine hasn't worked too hard for those miles. What about ball joints, suspension components, steering rack etc. Is there anything I should be considering?

Service history is not perfect, but the thing is only just three, so although just out of warranty hasn't even had an MOT yet!

Any views appreciated, from an engineering point of view or otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gearbox oil change and filter.
    Spark plug change.
    Tyres
    All suspension components.

That will all add up to a pretty penny especially if it’s service history is incomplete.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

3. Likes #steve, Legnum Nick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    All suspension components? That sounds drastic on the face of it. I'd imagine plugs are a lengthy DIY job. Tyres could be a problem on any car, or do you have an idea of the one I'm looking at.....

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is an Autobiography, change your name to Chris and get round there and snap his hand off.

6. Likes Legnum Nick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The engine should be in good shape as it's probably all motorway miles, as long as regular oil changes have been carried out.

Other plus points are the timing chain tensioners and guides plus water pump will be the uprated ones.

As well as suspension components I would check for wheel bearing noise.

I had a look to see how hard it would be to change the plugs and thought I will get my mechanics, Martyn, Rich and Jimbo to do that lol.

Rear tyres won't be cheap as they are 295 section.
    2010 Jaguar XJL V8 Portfolio.

8. Likes Jimbov8, Legnum Nick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    At three years old, tyres is luck of the draw I think and not specific to high mileage. How long does a set of rear tyres last on a 500bhp car? 20k at a push? I'd be happy if it is anything close to that!

Jimbo makes a good point about the plugs and more importantly the gearbox oil. I'd imagine rear diff oil too at that point. Suspension, bearings, of course could be an issue, but I am not getting the impression there are specific ball joints to be focused on?

Thanks all for the input, even the medic in the flashers costume!

10. Likes #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tyres should last 20k unless you drive like a lunatic.

Brakes should be something else to consider as these are uprated from the standard XJ.

All suspension components wear but the front banana arm is a common problem.
    2010 Jaguar XJL V8 Portfolio.

12. Likes Legnum Nick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nick - not necessarily a problem

A good friend of mine has bought a 3.0d variant with around 170k, in good shape, just needing some love, which he's giving her in spades and she'll be a cracker when she's finished.

Where he wins, is he does a lot of the work himself, unsure what spot you're in?

If it were me, buying that car with high mileage like that I'd be looking at an exhaustive list, to get her where I want her to be.

She should've had 7 services according to schedule https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=105003

Tyres - You know what's what and if needed, similarly with brakes ( may be due, have you checked? )
    Gearbox oil AND diff for sure at that mileage ( £400 )
    Plugs will be due as you know.
    I'll lay money on a 2017 ( coming up for 4 years old with that mileage ) that potentially the fuel filter, (brake fluid every 3 yrs) and power steering may never have been changed
    Chances are that you'll need at least some suspension work, maybe not all
    You'd be as well to start with a clean slate assuming she's a keeper of course

IF it's bargain and IF you intend to have most if not all of the work done and IF you intend to do most of it yourself, could be a goer.

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia 51k miles
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors 95k miles

14. Likes Legnum Nick, #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not scared of spanners, but am wary of costs spiralling. First registered 30th June 2017, so only just over three.

I'm not put off yet! Still some investigating to do.

16. Likes #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big expensive complex perfomance car thats seen some action and a not perfect history, could be fine, but the history is absolutely everything.Not just the stamps, they are worthless, invoices and or a printout would be the only thing keeping me interested.
    Rhubarb, 2003 Super V8 Radiance Red,Sepangs, Iron Fist Velvet Glove. I am not a car guy.

Going back thru time
    Volvo V70 D5-Gary
    Bmw 530d E39
    Bmw 520d touring F11
    Bmw 330d touring F31
    Bmw 330d coupe E92
    Volvo 960 Cd estate, greedy bugger
    Mercedes W124 300d multivalve,loved the chip fat
    Porsche 997 C2
    Honda Civic Cdti
    Astra 1.6
    Jeep Grand Cherokee