Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: X-TYPE - The toughest Jaguar of all.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face X-TYPE - The toughest Jaguar of all.

Hey Gang.

Well, maybe other Jags of that era too. I'm not trying to score points here. Jaguar in my opinion have been innovators in cost effective luxury motoring. New ideas in engineering production are risky, but if it wasn't for companies like Jaguar, who would challenge the pricey brands at their own game.

Anyhow, the X-TYPE. Solid car. 3.0L V6 petrol AWD available, oh yes. And a 2.2 turbo D with a FWD nipped and tucked to balance up good.

Time has shown us that the X-TYPE is a car that lasts. Perhaps Ford had a good influence in guiding the car to have less cutting edge production ideas thrown in and stick to known working things?

So if tinkering and nurturing Jaguars is your passion, I'd go for something else because if you have an X-TYPE, best you can hope for is to get good at detailing.

That reminds me. I should give the sills some more paint before autumn. There are a surprising number of things that are worth tinkering with on an X-TYPE. Cheers.
    Vehicle: : 2006 Black Jaguar X400 | 6 Speed Manual Transaxle - MMT6 | Series 60 | 2198ccm Duratorq 16V TC CF1 155HP 114KW 150PS - Puma | 4 Door Saloon. Upgrades: LED interior light | Leather gear gaiter | Solid wheel nuts Mileage: Approaching 200K miles. Owned since: January 2016 Special features: Attractive driver with GSOH.

2. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    X-Type 2.2D definitely the toughest car to get running right! EGR probs, Turbo Actuator probs, Turbo Vane probs, Turbo Hose probs, MAF Sensor probs, Wiring To MAF Sensor probs, MAP Sensor probs, Fuel Filter probs, Injector probs, various Sensor probs the list goes on!
    I love the X-Type when it's running right problem is that isn't very often!

4. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy Puppy View Post
    X-Type 2.2D definitely the toughest car to get running right! EGR probs, Turbo Actuator probs, Turbo Vane probs, Turbo Hose probs, MAF Sensor probs, Wiring To MAF Sensor probs, MAP Sensor probs, Fuel Filter probs, Injector probs, various Sensor probs the list goes on!
    I love the X-Type when it's running right problem is that isn't very often!
    I think someone's been unlucky. 241,000 miles in mine from new, barely a problem. I seem to recall a couple of EGR's early doors and aircon compressor under waranty but nothing since then.
    2017 XE Portfolio 180PS AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack (I don't scrape!) panoramic roof, privacy glass and 19" style 1015 wheels (that I'd happily swap for a nice set of 18" 5 spokes. Anyone?)

6. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking at reliability statistics over the years, the peak appears to be the X250 XF and the X150 XK/XKR. Both seem to be fairly trouble-free and better than their direct competition. I never got the feeling from those same statistics that the X-Type, S-Type, X350 were quite as good, even though my carefully used S-Type has been fairly solid.

Also looking at forum traffic, the X-Type one is high suggesting a degree of problems at least in keeping with the high numbers sold.

Most cars have one or two weak points but modern Jaguars seem to have the basic stuff sorted with more irritating than serious faults.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

8. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RWD3M View Post
    I think someone's been unlucky. 241,000 miles in mine from new, barely a problem. I seem to recall a couple of EGR's early doors and aircon compressor under waranty but nothing since then.
    I agree; OK, so mines a slightly different variant, but, had the car over 7 years now, done almost 70k miles in that time and bar some wear and tear routine maintenance stuff (brakes, rear hubs) never let me down, 100% reliable, probably the best car I have ever owned (and that's a lot!).
    Jaguar 2.0D SE 2008 Estate, 115K, Glacier Blue, Heated Leather, Cruise, Sat Nav and praise the lord good sills and no DPF

Life lessons I have learnt - We are where we are.......It is what it is.

10. Likes Jag-Black, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Willowbob yours is a 2.0d I had a 2.0d for 4 yrs done 60k in it and it never missed a beat but the 2.2 is a nightmare! Check all the Forums , YouTube, Goggle I'm not alone in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    My X-Type was on the whole a reliabile unit, never let me down and performed well, even on the autobahn. It did have some issues though near the end of my ownership and got rid in time before the transfer box required changing as it was starting to whine.

There are quite a few of the early ones who are suffering badly from rusted sills due to the plastic covers over them covering how bad they actually are.
    Current Car:
    2016 XF 3.0d S, 17MY - 35k miles, Ultimate Black and loads of extras.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY

Resident Super Moderator.
    My 2016 x260 XF 3.0d S ownership thread

13. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy Puppy View Post
    Yes Willowbob yours is a 2.0d I had a 2.0d for 4 yrs done 60k in it and it never missed a beat but the 2.2 is a nightmare! Check all the Forums , YouTube, Goggle I'm not alone in my opinion.
    The 2.2 with the DPF and electronic EGR do seem to cause more issues I guess. I can only speak as I find and the 2L is a good solid unit (access is a pain though for a lot of things) and, since changing the gearbox oil a few years ago for some fully synthetic Castrol stuff, is a beautiful unit; whilst it is 'only' a 5 speed, from driving both the 2.2 and the 2L, I actually think the lack of extra gear is not an issue as the ratios on the 5 speed are very good (just an opinion mind you!). I hope I am not temping fate with mine as I have to drive to London next week to help my daughter move You watch!!
    Jaguar 2.0D SE 2008 Estate, 115K, Glacier Blue, Heated Leather, Cruise, Sat Nav and praise the lord good sills and no DPF

Life lessons I have learnt - We are where we are.......It is what it is.

15. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree willowbob I think the 2.0D is a far better car my old one was a joy to drive and would return 55mpg on a run. I purchased my current 2.2D as I would have liked an Auto until I realised they all have DPF so a manual it was. On a long run last year (just after a new EGR) I got 60mpg which isn't that great over a 2.0D. I find my 6 speed 2.2D gearbox is no way as suited to the engine as my old 5 speed was to the 2.0D. It seems the facelift 2.2D are just a problem, I'd happily swap my 08 2.2 for a 2.0!

17. Likes willowbob, Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    i look at it when i had a scenic i was out nearly every w/end tinkering . with the honda very little tinkering , the x type alot of tinkering at first due to last owner not bothering to fix worn out items but once done the only tinkering was a service and replace worn out parts .
    2005 x type 2.0D estate sport in black

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast