Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are most/least favourite aspects of your S Type?

Post Thanks / Like

What are most/least favourite aspects of your S Type?

So, as the title says, what do you love or not about your S Type? Having had the car now for a couple of months, here's my list...

Smooooth engine that says "mmmmm...mmmmmm...mmm...mmmm" everywhere

Surprisingly alert, yet comfortable drive, any journey a pleasure

Smooth automatic gearbox always seems to be in the right gear, gear changes unobtrusive

Strong "creep" when drive is selected, ideal for manuevering, something many modern automatic transmissions don't do, what with all this double clutch garbage. Dare I say it, this car car drives like a proper, predictable "old fashioned" automatic car should.

Sense of luxury car occasion appreciated by all, even though it's completely free from touch screens/connectivity/et la. Just shows that luxury is completely separate from technology

Footwell lighting - classy

Boot opener - a simple thing I know, but it doesn't just fly up like other cars, rather it slows to a controlled stop. Classy and impressive in the carpark...

Fuel consumption. Well what can you expect?

Parts prices - the general lack of things like suspension bushes for example is unfortunate, meaning complete components have to be replaced at considerable expense, rendering an old example like mine potentially uneconomical to repair.

Electric handbrake. Lovely to use but a liability for maintenance and working on the car.

Cabin space. Nice place to be, but shame it's the size of a ramekin! Lockdown hasn't helped my lardy frame of course...

Boot space - it might be possible to fit 2 postage stamps in at the same time...

Can't find a way to switch OFF the interior lights when the door is open for an extended period. Did someone mention a flat battery...

For the little money I paid, it's a lovely thing, and I enjoy it - long may it stay trouble free!
    S-Type 2.5 Automatic. At a petrol station somewhere...

Post Thanks / Like
    Press & hold the centre light button in the overhead console. When it flashes you've turned off the automatic lighting. Repeat procedure to reverse.

3. Thanks payno thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only got five dislikes...(my 2001 S-Type, not my 1999 XJ - that's perfect).
    The ashtray lid catch has broken and won't stay down. Can't seem to get it out to repair without major surgery.
    The Tape storage box shoots out and knocks your fingers off as the damper is either broken or not originally fitted.
    The cabin fuse box is a pain to work on as it's in the (tiny) foot-well and the accelerator pedal is in the way. The extractor they supply is crap too.
    The constant surveillance for rust - am I neurotic?
    The lack of power mirrors

Best 'likes'....
    That V8 engine - smooth fast and burbly - only V8's have that!
    Tax Rate - anything with a V8 these days is about £550 - not so my Jag V8's but maybe that's because they are old!

You mentioned suspension bushes - why not just take one out and go down the motor parts place and ask if they've got anything like it? I used to do that with some of my old cars!! I think I even used a bit of cut-off rubber hose once, as it fitted fine. Probably not recommended for performance cars tho'....!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had actually thought of your idea of seeing what bushes would fit. Likely if you had access to the whole shop you'd find something that would fit well from another car - after all, it's impossible that another car hasn't used the same size bush in the past.

However these days, finding an old school motor factors that would be bothered to help you like that is extremely unlikely.

One thing I've come across from a post on another website - the idea of spraying bushes with Wynn's engine stop leak. Apparently it feeds the the rubber and makes old hard ones pliable again, a guy was doing it on his XJ to silence rumbling and squeeks. There's also a guy on an American YouTube channel who recommends the same thing using an American product.

Interesting...

Post Thanks / Like
    In Germany - S-Types still looks like they could be a current Jaguar. Has aged well and most people here are never sure exactly what a Jaguar looks like.

Mainly well built and nothing major has gone wrong. Some minor stuff is a pain though. Not "Japanese" like reliability but sounds a lot better than German reliability if car magazines and my friends and colleagues are anything to go by.

Just come home with new tyres and a realignment and it drives like a newish car. Not bad for a car that is no longer a teenager. Suspension felt a bit wooden before even though it was not far out. The guy centered everything up, and with well balanced wheels and new tyres, it feels really good.

Currently everything works, even the PDC which repaired itself when the sunroof leaked, which also repaired itself! Maybe the electrics are Italian 'cos Lucas doesn't exist anymore, right? Actually, much of the electrics is German (see above).

It is smooth and swift. And it has some character - much more so than the XKR, which is dramatically more exciting though.

Space has not been a Jaguar strong point since the 1970s, I guess. The S-type is long, but quite narrow and the cabin volume is comparatively tiny. The pre-facelift cars have huge front seat backs taking up even more of the limited space. The boot is near hopeless if you have the Premium sound system with its slimline subwoofer filling half of the slimline boot!

The original cars had tiny 300 mm front brakes but which seem to work OK with good pads. My favourites are the Jaguar originals with the very grippy compound from Jurid. The plain Jaguar ones are nowhere near as good but have better cold bite than Redstuff, which sound cool and trendy to have but are pretty average in performance.

Mine is a summer car and so doesn't have to do all stuff well. For what we use it for, it fits the bill well.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Mike View Post
    The ashtray lid catch has broken and won't stay down. Can't seem to get it out to repair without major surgery.
    The Tape storage box shoots out and knocks your fingers off as the damper is either broken or not originally fitted.
    If it is the plastic clip in the base of the ash tray that is broken, they are available but I can't find a link at the moment.
    The tape storage box was damped and I have seen a "how too" on fixing it somewhere. Might be worth a search on the US forum, if it is not here.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsHOWmuch? View Post

Electric handbrake. Lovely to use but a liability for maintenance and working on the car.

I wasn't keen on electric hand brakes, but have to say in all the years I've had my 2.5, the electric hand brake is one of the few things that's never caused me much grief. Certainly hasn't been a liability for maintenance/working on the car. Oddly, one of the things I didn't like on the old 1999 3.0l was the manual hand brake lever. With the hand brake applied, I often caught it with my elbow, usually right on the funny bone, and there was nothing much funny about it! About the only other criticism was the CD multi changer being installed in the glove box. Left just enough space for the gloves, but not much else! At least Jaguar did address this on slightly later cars and moved it to the boot. On the later 2.5, one of the few criticisms is not being able to switch the reverse beepers off when I have a trailer or caravan etc on the back, so every time I select reverse, I just get a continuous tone, which becomes quite annoying when reversing for any length of time with something on the towbar. The old 3.0l had a switch in the roof console to switch them off for such occasions, and as the system is exactly the same, using identical components, I don't know why they saw fit to do away with it.

Regards, OW
    1999 S Type 3.0L SE, A truly lovely old girl that's served me well. Probably the best car I've had. Now retired.
    02.5MY (X202) S Type 2.5L SE, 58,000 miles, full Jag s/h, all papers, MOT's, receipts etc from new when purchased.
    2006 X type SE 2.2 Diesel. Supposed to be Mrs O's economical commuter car.
    2004 (X202) 2.5L Sport plus, to replace the 3.0L

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Neilr I'll have a look. The ashtray thing comes out to reveal a peculiar shaped secondary black piece of plastic, but I can't find any screw, clip or anything to get it out. It seems as if the tunnel has to be removed - Typical Ford!!! (Or even Jaguar hangover from the past?).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi OW, you probably use your handbrake regularly. I know many who don't (on any car) That's why they pack up.
    It's worth (I gather) getting a handbrake service around the 80k miles mark, (Cheaper than a repair by far) however my Jags are older than the invention of Jag electronic handbrakes, so I don't have that problem. but it's a pain trying to get from the drivers seat to the passenger side when the door lock packs up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by orsom weels View Post
    The old 3.0l had a switch in the roof console to switch them off for such occasions, and as the system is exactly the same, using identical components, I don't know why they saw fit to do away with it.
    If you have front parking sensors, you still get the switch. My S-type D had it, my STR doesn't.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast