Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To buy a jaguar xj or not buy a jaguar xj help needed

Post Thanks / Like

To buy a jaguar xj or not buy a jaguar xj help needed

Hi all first time posting on here, am really torn about getting an xj or not, moving from a Volvo XC90 which I love dearly, but want a more refined drive, am currently looking at getting a 2016 XJ autobiography 32k 1 owner, is there any issues I should be aware off when purchasing , and any things I should make sure the car has, upgrades etc, and if you own one how good are they compared to BMW and mercs in the same class.

Thanks for reading
    Mark

2. Likes #steve, mac_doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rustonmark, welcome aboard, or very nearly by the sounds of it.

As we say to almost every newbie that comes here asking a similar question, do all your research first and be as sure as you can, once you sit in one to test drive, it's all over I'm afraid, you have been warned.

As you're looking at the Autobiography, there's no real upgrades as that's the top of the pile for all intents and purposes. Mine's is a Portfolio LWB but spec'd with £12k of options so in Autobiography territory really.

Unsure what engine you're looking at, the 3.0D or 5.0V8 perhaps?

I have the 3.0D comes with 300bhp and 700nm of torque but mapped to 345bhp and 780nm of torque, it's a quick limo. That being said on my longish drive today I managed 58.5mpg and 852.5 miles on one tank of fuel!

A 2016 should be the facelift version too so that's good.

Check the sunroof for squeaks / creaks as there could be a few. Imo there's no comparison to equivalent BMW or Mercs

Good luck
    Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia 51k miles
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors 95k miles

4. Likes #steve, seagull liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jim

Thanks for taking the time to reply your information is very much appreciated.

Will be going for the diesel 3.0 V6
    That is some impressive return , what is your mpg like on short runs ?
    From reading on here looks like I need to make sure it's fitted with the front 10inch screen and not the 8inch due to the fact the 10inch has a different computer , well from what I can gather going through the posts .

Is the drive really that good that BMW and mercedes are no where near the Jag.

Regards
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    I've not driven a Merc or BMW 7 series but when I was looking to purchase just look at the comparative cabins. The E and S Class just don't do it for me and the BMW isn't much better.

The jaguar interior and styling for me just oozes class and a lot of toys in the Portfolio spec let alone Autobiography.
    Jaguar XJ 3.0d Portfolio 2010 (It appears now departed)

Previous: 2004 X-Type 2.0D (long since departed)

7. Likes #steve, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve seen this type of post before and as Jim said, ‘just sit in one’. I part exchanged a Supercharged XF for my XJ so for me that really says there is something special about the XJ.
    I’ll say welcome aboard now because it will save me doing it later!
    WELCOME RUSTON TO THE FOLD.
    XJ Portfolio 3.0d 2016/17 Illuminated Tread Plates and Boot Trim, Remote boot closure.
    Remapped to 345bhp and 780nm torque...surprisingly quick!!

Previous Jags

XFS 3.0 380bhp Supercharged 2015/16 with all the toys
    XE 2.0 Portfolio 2015/16 in Celestial Black and fully loaded
    XF Sportbrake 2.2 Portfolio 2014/15
    XF Premium Luxury 3.0 2013
    XF Premium Luxury 2.7 2008
    S Type 2.7 Diesel Sport 2005
    X Type 2.5 V6 AWD Estate 2004
    S Type 3.0 SE V6 petrol 1999

9. Likes #steve, JimC64, WelshBoa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A 2016 model will be pretty much sorted and the only real worry is doing short runs in a diesel.

I would change the oil and filter twice as often as Jag recommends for peace of mind.

Don't worry about the sunroof, I've got a spare one lol.
    2010 Jaguar XJL V8 Portfolio.

11. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes Ashanti, JimC64, WelshBoa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 10 inch screen didn't arrive until late 2017 at least, might be early 2018.
    As to BMW or Merc, I don't think there is a poor choice between the three. For me the merc image is too much towards status symbol and the BMW is just a large well built car. The XJ has the best style and character IMO combined with (according to many reviews) an excellent combination of ride quality and driving pleasure.

13. Likes Eyeballroy, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had many BMW's over 30+ years and found no fault with them. The trouble is there's too many around now, so the Jaguar especially the XJ, is still rare. Try spotting one on a long journey and you'll be lucky to see one.
    I'm on my second modern XJ Portfolio now and still the best car I've owned, wouldn't mind the Autobiograph although I suspect it's only available in LWB form?

Jim, I really don't know how you manage such incredible MPG. I drive fairly carefully but have never managed more than 44mpg on a long run. Your car/driving is remarkable.
    2019 XJ 3.0D SWB Portfolio. Loire Blue; Oyster interior. ACC; Self-parking and loads of other extras....
    1998 BMW Z3 Convertible - owned since 2013; Auto; air-con
    1965 Jaguar S type 3.8 litre, Black with chrome wire wheels, Webasto roof. Still owned since 1987.

15. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64, #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    Imo there's no comparison to equivalent BMW or Mercs

Jim
    How so Jim? You know how much I love the interior on your car, but I would say it is a direct comparison to the Mercedes. Having been in both, they both have strengths/weaknesses and would struggle to say one is really better...

I once looked at the interior of a 2002 BMW 7 Series and was shocked that is had toys that Jaguar only decided to add in 2015 to the XJ- soft close doors, pillow headrests, ect

BTW, my sunroof is silent
    Mercedes CL 4.7 V8 Biturbo, Magnetite black on Anthracite Exclusive Leather - 84,000 miles
    BMW M6 Coupe V10, Saphire Black on Black Merino Leather, Alcantara Headliner- 29,000 miles

Sold:
    Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather

XJ X350 3.0 Silver/Dove

17. Likes Ashanti, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just personal preference Alec, each to their own and all that

All marques have their own little foibles and fans

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia 51k miles
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors 95k miles

19. Likes Eyeballroy, #steve liked this post
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast