Thread: Rear valance

Post Thanks / Like

Rear valance

Hello all, this is my first post.

I want to replace my rear valance but cant find any information on how to do it?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Big job !! You'll need to remove the left and right quarter panels plus fuel tanks and associated pump and pipes, you don't want any petrol hanging around. Rear exhaust pipes and boxes need removing as well. Try to get as close a copy of the original factory panel as you can. The top of the valance forms part of the lower edge of the boot aperture. This has a subtle horizantal curve, and the valance must match this. There is also lead loading where the valance meets each rear wing. Later cars have two large tubes poking through the valance for the 5 mph bumper fittings for the USA. The valance has mig-welding all around these tubes so this has to be removed. I replaced the boot floor, rear valance and 1/4 panels in the late 80s. It took quite a lot of effort !! Just drilling out the spot welds to remove the old valance takes quite some time, then you have to linish off the remnant "bumps" to give a surface to weld the new valance to.
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XE Portfolio 180 AWD 2017
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for you kind and detailed reply.

I have started the job, and almost every nut and bolt napped off.

Even the nuts holding on the chrome broke off lol.

I haven't as yet started to cut away the valance......but I will endeavour this in the next few days or so.

I need to source new bolts for the chrome and the cross threads that run underneath both fuel tanks that hold the outer two petrol covers on.

I will let you know how all go.

Post Thanks / Like
    My advice is to replace all the bolts, screws and nuts with stainless steel ones. There are now several suppliers online, here are a few: -

https://www.pro-bolt.com/about-us/

https://www.stainlessmiddleton.co.uk/

http://www.groveco.co.uk/index.html

I have used the first two, and got a very good service from both. You need to know what you're ordering though. The threads will be UNF but you need to know the various types of bolt and screw.

I should mention re the quarter panels that these are also secured to the back of the rear wheel arch. The undercoating tends to hide the screw heads. This is also a notorious rust spot, and I had to weld in new metal here when I did my valance job.

I couldn't believe what I found when doing the job, which involved a new boot floor. This looks rectangular at first glance but has a slight inwards taper from front to rear. Why for heavens sake !! This is similar to the top of the valance where the boot aperture has a slight curve left to right. I know Jaguars are all about curves, but this is ridiculous.
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks you for the information.
    I have a feeling my floor maybe not it's best.

I can't find any pictures or info how to remove the valance?
    I've cut out the spot welds under the boot only.
    I imagine I will have to grind around the bumper mounting?
    I'm not sure how the rest of it attaches?
    Is it also bonded on?

Post Thanks / Like
    I presume you have removed the bumper. The full valance as built into the body shell by Jaguar starts at the lower edge of the boot line aperture then curves down and round to its lower edge where it is spot-welded to the boot floor and on either side to the boot sides. As I recall, its visible edge on the exterior is welded, but the join is lead-loaded so an ugly joint is not seen. There is no bonding used, that came with the aluminium XJ6/XJ8 of 2003 of which I had two. Similar body style, though.

You may find that non-Jaguar, (pattern) valances do not go up as far as the boot aperture, but only as far as to take the valance behind the rear bumper. Have you purchased a new valance yet ? Here is one on sale by David Manners; it would seem to be a genuine factory panel, so will fit like a glove. £90 for such a complex pressing is a very good price in my opinion.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Lowe...-/264744317281

EDIT
    It's too long ago since I fitted a valance, and I am thinking that the valance may not be welded to the boot floor. but only to the boot sides

Also don't forget you have to melt out the lead loading where the valance sides match up to the rear wings above the 1/4 panels
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010