Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2010 XF Premium 5.0l n/a...did I buy a headache?

Post Thanks / Like

Question 2010 XF Premium 5.0l n/a...did I buy a headache?

I have always loved Jaguar motorcars. I have had a 1981 XJ, and recently moved on from a 2007 S-Type 3.0 76k miles.

I purchased a 2010 XF 5.0l n/a V8. I am not seeing any comments on this engine. I don't know much about the XF other than how beautiful I have always found them to be.

What are some engine issues that I need to get ahead of? It appears this unit has been well taken care of. Everything seems to work electronically. It does have a bit of a timing chain noise, though. I have the money in the budget to fix it correctly if I can find the right independent Jag shop. I am hoping this car can be in the family for years. t.i.a.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very few owners of the XF 5.0 NA on this forum but plenty over on the US based forum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

3. Likes sboyes81 liked this post
    Senior Member Big cat little cat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to own one. Timing chain issues caused me to change it. Expensive fix (c.£4500).

Lots to be found on Land Rover and Jaguar forums about this issue.
    Just when you think you can see a light at the end of the tunnel,
    you find that it's just someone with a torch bringing you some more work!

XF 4.2 Premium Luxury. (present)
    XF 5.0 Portfolio. (2017-2019)
    X-type 3.0 Sport Premium Estate Auto. (2011- 2018 )
    Opel Monza 3.0 GSE. (present)

Link to retro fit cruise control for 2004-on AWD cars here. http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f26/ret...+control+retro

5. Likes sboyes81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big cat little cat View Post
    I used to own one. Timing chain issues caused me to change it. Expensive fix (c.£4500).

Lots to be found on Land Rover and Jaguar forums about this issue.
    This is something I never really understood. How any repair can get to that level.
    Sure, if you go to a main dealer but then you know what you're getting into, but why anyone would want to pay the 10 layers of management, leather sofa and fancy coffee premium for a major oily job (servicing is a different conversation) I'll never understand.

Otherwise everyone knows, or can find, a decent, off-grid, mechanic surely? Scruffy, oily back street garage maybe, but all that really matters is the bloke behind the spanner. If he's time served, and most of them are far more skilled and experienced than anyone you'll find in a shiny Jaguar embossed overall, odds are he can do the job for a fraction and will be happy for the work.
    I imagine a timing chain, guide and tensioner swap is probably 2-3 days work? Worst case then, at say £60 per hour (and for a big job that can usually be negotiated down considerably) that's £1,500 labour so even if it's £500 for parts (and that'd be in a genuine Jag box - a quick google shows the kits at £240), it's only £2k. Painful but not the end of the world for most of us.

I reckon if I asked my guy to do one, I'd be looking at £1,200 - £1,500 all in.
    Last edited by jberks; 21-07-20 at 08:16.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury
    2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux

7. Likes sboyes81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jberks View Post
    This is something I never really understood. How any repair can get to that level.
    Sure, if you go to a main dealer but then you know what you're getting into, but why anyone would want to pay the 10 layers of management, leather sofa and fancy coffee premium for a major oily job (servicing is a different conversation) I'll never understand.

Otherwise everyone knows, or can find, a decent, off-grid, mechanic surely? Scruffy, oily back street garage maybe, but all that really matters is the bloke behind the spanner. If he's time served, and most of them are far more skilled and experienced than anyone you'll find in a shiny Jaguar embossed overall, odds are he can do the job for a fraction and will be happy for the work.
    I imagine a timing chain, guide and tensioner swap is probably 2-3 days work? Worst case then, at say £60 per hour (and for a big job that can usually be negotiated down considerably) that's £1,500 labour so even if it's £500 for parts (and that'd be in a genuine Jag box - a quick google shows the kits at £240), it's only £2k. Painful but not the end of the world for most of us.

I reckon if I asked my guy to do one, I'd be looking at £1,200 - £1,500 all in.
    When I have read posts on here about repairs by Jaguar dealers i have regularly been horrified by the amount of time the cars have been off the road, which must add to the expense.

The cost of replacing a timing chain depends to a fairly large extent on how it is done. With the transverse engined Saab 9000 the dealer would expect to take the engine out after which the actual chain replacement was fairly quick, the expense being in the engine removal and refitting. An independent would leave the engine in situ and work through the wheel arch. Total time through the wheel arch was less and the independent didn't have a posh coffee machine and leather sofas. There was also a cheaper repair where a new chain was attached to the old one and wound in, only practical if the sprockets were in good condition. I don't suppose the main dealers did many timing chains. The same would be true of the Jaguar V8, though it wouldn't be done through the wheel arch. Mechanically a timing chain isn't complex even if access isn't always good but £4,500 sounds excessive.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not talking about main dealers. Alright maybe it would have been £3500, I wasn't daft enough to find out. The engine has to come out. It's a 40 hour job.

Link to retro fit cruise control for 2004-on AWD cars here. http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f26/ret...+control+retro

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd get that timing job done asap. In fact I would not drive the car until it is done.
    There are new guides and chains available and then you wont have to worry about it again.
    2007 S type R, Radiance Red/ Champagne

11. Likes sboyes81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big cat little cat View Post
    I'm not talking about main dealers. Alright maybe it would have been £3500, I wasn't daft enough to find out. The engine has to come out. It's a 40 hour job.
    For a big 1 week long job like that at a small mechanic I’d be expecting to pay around £50ph. Another £400 for parts maybe so £2,500 worst case. There’s a load of inefficiency, waiting for parts, waiting for customers, dead time, figuring out etc built into a garage hourly rates, so without any of that, just a mechanic cracking on doing continuous billable work, over a 40hr job, there’s a fair amount of leeway.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury
    2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux

13. Thanks sboyes81 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Engine does not have to come out it’s done in situ. Jaguar labour time is 16 hours. Parts are likely to be more than a few hundred pounds, if the chain is noisy the vvt sprockets will be worn and need changing x4 is around £1200.
    X150 XKR 5.0 Convertible 2011.
    Previous all gone now
    Sovereign LWB 2.7tdi 2008 black, 308 sport 3.2,2000 X, 308 1998 3.2, 420g 1967.

15. Thanks jberks, sboyes81 thanked for this post
    Likes sboyes81 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    @the OP.

I bet you wished you hadn't asked now!

As you can see, lots of opinions, some based on fact, others based on what people think should be right. The fact is that this problem does exist and it's not a cheap fix. Do you own research, as some on here have, and make an informed decision.

Good luck. It's a great car, and a great engine when it's working well.

17. Likes sboyes81 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast