Thread: Problems with my 2020 I-Pace

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Problems with my 2020 I-Pace

I took delivery of my 2020 I-Pace S (with options that really make it an SE) on July 3rd. I was pretty excited! After all, Jaguar is an aspirational brand and I really never saw myself being in a position to own one.

I was doubly excited to acquire an I-Pace as I've had my eye on an EV for a couple of years. This one combines long range with great styling and amazing performance. The twin motors are absolutely explosive. Slam you back into the seat explosive. I'm a little scared to accelerate this quickly explosive.

After 11 glorious days, whilst heading out to pick up my son from football practice on the 13th the car began shuddering violently. Warning lights came on! The red triangle with an exclamation point. Not good. The traction control light came on. Then a warning that indicated the vehicle could be safely driven in reduced performance mode. What is that? I don't know, but it's symbol is a turtle. No lie. An actual turtle image is on the display and the car was fine below 2 m.p.h. Who can drive that slowly? Any faster and the shuddering made the car feel as if it were coming apart.

Phone call to Jaguar roadside assistance and the vehicle is towed to the local dealer. Two days later I get it back. The service manager said the ECU wasn't talking to the BCCM, but after a couple of software updates it's all good.

No, it isn't. On Thursday the 16th while attempting to accelerate from a traffic signal - same thing. Barely got through the intersection without being clobbered. Jaguar assistance again. Towed to the same dealer.

The car has been there ever since. Today is the 24th. That means the car has been inoperable for half the time I've owned it.

I check in with the dealership pretty much every day. May I please have an update. They don't know what is wrong. At least they can't tell me. They say they are doing tests and sending up files to the T/A. Whatever that is, right? Unfortunately, I bought the car from a dealer friend in a different state. They can't really help. I ask the local dealer the name of their manufacturer's rep. They say they don't have one. Hmmm. Okay, maybe they don't so I call the 800 number and wait on hold. Then I give up and leave my story in a voicemail. A week goes by - nothing. I called again yesterday the 23rd. Again - nothing.

So, today I searched LinkedIn for executives who work at Jaguar USA. I found the head of North American sales and sent him a message. Very kind man - Brandon - messages me back and offers to make some calls. In an hour he texts me to say the diagnosis has been done and a new part is needed and has been ordered. The part is being shipped from the U.K. and will be here . . . in 8 weeks. . .ish.

Has anyone had any experience with a perpetually broken car during the first month of ownership? Can I get Jaguar to replace the car with a new one? What other remedies are available or have you heard of?

Thanks for your replies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't you have "Lemon Laws" in the USA ?
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XE Portfolio 180 AWD 2017
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. The Lemon Law in CA doesn’t yet apply. The manufacturer has to be given a “reasonable” opportunity to repair the vehicle. That word is often disputed as you can imagine consumers and manufacturers don’t always agree on its meaning.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the main problem is Covid-19 has resulted in the shutdown of a lot of car component makers as the car makers are not ordering due to their own shutdowns. I think most of Jaguar Land Rover production is shut down at the moment, apart from their Chinese factory. However the I-Pace is made in Austria by Magna at the old Steyr-Daimler-Puch factory in Graz, (they also assemble Mercedes BMWs and Toyotas too) and this may still be on limited production.

I can't help thinking that this is part of your problem: -

"Unfortunately, I bought the car from a dealer friend in a different state. They can't really help"
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XE Portfolio 180 AWD 2017
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010