Thread: Does "Check Engine" light up when starting - 1996 XJS

Post Thanks / Like

Does "Check Engine" light up when starting - 1996 XJS

Please help by letting me know if the check engine light is supposed to light up when starting up my 1996 XJS. The Driver's Handbook (page 46) is vague - it says "Check Engine - Lights up when a power train fault is indicated." But for the description (same page) of the Low Oil Pressure it says "Low Oil Pressure - Lights up when the ignition switch is in position 'II' and should go out when the engine is running." Since this information is given for "Low Oil Pressure" but not "Check Engine", it implies that the Check Engine light does not light up when starting.

This is important because the smog check for the State of California requires the check engine light to show when the ignition is turned on. My Jag passed the emissions test, but failed this second test: when turning the key to the "on" position the "Check Engine" light did not light up. Before spending 100s of $$ to take apart the dash - perhaps for nothing, I was hoping a Forum Member could help.

For anyone with knowledge of this issue, or who has a 1996 XJS they can use to check, many thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Sacramento View Post
    Please help by letting me know if the check engine light is supposed to light up when starting up my 1996 XJS. The Driver's Handbook (page 46) is vague - it says "Check Engine - Lights up when a power train fault is indicated." But for the description (same page) of the Low Oil Pressure it says "Low Oil Pressure - Lights up when the ignition switch is in position 'II' and should go out when the engine is running." Since this information is given for "Low Oil Pressure" but not "Check Engine", it implies that the Check Engine light does not light up when starting.

This is important because the smog check for the State of California requires the check engine light to show when the ignition is turned on. My Jag passed the emissions test, but failed this second test: when turning the key to the "on" position the "Check Engine" light did not light up. Before spending 100s of $$ to take apart the dash - perhaps for nothing, I was hoping a Forum Member could help.

For anyone with knowledge of this issue, or who has a 1996 XJS they can use to check, many thanks!
    The check engine light should go on when starting the car. If it doesn't, the most common fault is a burnt out bulb. If the bulb is good, then it may be a circuit board (flexible board) problem or worse, the computer.

3. Thanks Jim in Sacramento thanked for this post
    Likes Jim in Sacramento liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks mghirsch. Now I can make the repair knowing the costs aren't wasted.