Thread: Help - Pedestrian Protection DEPLOYED any advice on repair?

Post Thanks / Like

Help - Pedestrian Protection DEPLOYED any advice on repair?

Hi guys,
    the worst has happened, the bonnet airbags deployed last night after hitting a small deer at low speed. No visible damage to car at the front apart from the grill insert being popped off its catches. Deer got up and left so very low speed impact.
    Is it possible to replace the actuators etc DIY or would it be best to claim on insurance from cost perspective?

its a 2008 4.2 Coupe

thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure about repair cost but bear in mind that even if you have NCD protection, your insurance risk goes up. This might be something like £100 extra, sliding down to £20 extra, every year for the next 6 years. Have a play with a comparison site to see the effects on your quote.

Excess £200
    Year1 extra premium £100
    Year2 extra premium £80
    Year3 extra premium £60
    Year4 extra premium £40
    Year5 extra premium £20

Cost £500

Used bonnet airbags £300+fitting ???
    2007 S type R, Radiance Red/ Champagne

Post Thanks / Like
    The actuators are pyrotechnic so I imagine they're a one-shot thing, they'll need replacing. Possible also that the bonnet latches, strikers, the bonnet itself and the impact sensor will need replaced. I had a look over the workshop manual in case there was an official procedure (i.e. replace all of that lot without question) but there isn't so I guess you'll just need to have the car inspected and work out what needs done from there. The only thing it does say is that the control module for the pedestrian protection system should be replaced after the system has fired three times
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update time.
    Since the incident was a “no fault” turns out that my NCD will be unaffected! Car was collected yesterday and is off being inspected and repaired.

I found these part numbers for the actuators C2P16233 and they are listed at £360 each!

Post Thanks / Like
    8bit, I understand it is only the XF that suffers hinge damage as the bonnet of those doesn’t flip forward. F-Type has same actuators but also a pair of smaller actuators to release the catches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturbo View Post
    Update time.
    Since the incident was a “no fault” turns out that my NCD will be unaffected! Car was collected yesterday and is off being inspected and repaired.

I found these part numbers for the actuators C2P16233 and they are listed at £360 each!

I will bet a round coin your premium will be, the key being the wording of the question,"Have you made a claim REGARDLESS of blame in the last 3/5 years."
    Rhubarb, 2003 Super V8 Radiance Red,Sepangs, Iron Fist Velvet Glove. I am not a car guy.

Going back thru time
    Volvo V70 D5-Gary
    Bmw 530d E39
    Bmw 520d touring F11
    Bmw 330d touring F31
    Bmw 330d coupe E92
    Volvo 960 Cd estate, greedy bugger
    Mercedes W124 300d multivalve,loved the chip fat
    Porsche 997 C2
    Honda Civic Cdti
    Astra 1.6
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    VW Golf GTDi
    Subaru Impreza Turbo Terzo
    Mazda MX6
    Carlton 2.0 Cdi
    Mercedes 190e
    Orion Ghia i
    Audi 90 2.2
    Mini

10 vans and a Jcb 533 105

7. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturbo View Post
    8bit, I understand it is only the XF that suffers hinge damage as the bonnet of those doesn’t flip forward. F-Type has same actuators but also a pair of smaller actuators to release the catches.
    Correct - I didn't say anything about hinges Also as per FlatCap, you will retain your NCD but your premium will almost certainly go up I'm afraid. I had a claim on my insurance a number of years back (not in a Jag, thankfully) and despite it being settled 100% as the other party's fault my premium still went up because I raised the claim through my own insurer.

What I would suggest you do is go and get 3 points for speeding - I did exactly that last year and my renewal this year came through just over £100 cheaper
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post

What I would suggest you do is go and get 3 points for speeding - I did exactly that last year and my renewal this year came through just over £100 cheaper
    I have accumulated 9 so will i get a credit note?
    Rhubarb, 2003 Super V8 Radiance Red,Sepangs, Iron Fist Velvet Glove. I am not a car guy.

Going back thru time
    Volvo V70 D5-Gary
    Bmw 530d E39
    Bmw 520d touring F11
    Bmw 330d touring F31
    Bmw 330d coupe E92
    Volvo 960 Cd estate, greedy bugger
    Mercedes W124 300d multivalve,loved the chip fat
    Porsche 997 C2
    Honda Civic Cdti
    Astra 1.6
    Jeep Grand Cherokee
    VW Golf GTDi
    Subaru Impreza Turbo Terzo
    Mazda MX6
    Carlton 2.0 Cdi
    Mercedes 190e
    Orion Ghia i
    Audi 90 2.2
    Mini

10 vans and a Jcb 533 105

10. Likes 8bit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you get to 12, then I think you get a telegram from the queen. Or maybe it's a some kind of award from the Duke of Edinburgh.
    2007 S type R, Radiance Red/ Champagne

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    Correct - I didn't say anything about hinges Also as per FlatCap, you will retain your NCD but your premium will almost certainly go up I'm afraid. I had a claim on my insurance a number of years back (not in a Jag, thankfully) and despite it being settled 100% as the other party's fault my premium still went up because I raised the claim through my own insurer.

As it goes, I had a claim about this time last year with this car and protected NCD term was reduced slightly and premium increased by £23 at last renewal.

I'll give the speeding points a miss

13. Likes 8bit liked this post