Thread: E Type Dashboard Electrics

Post Thanks / Like

E Type Dashboard Electrics

My Series 1 had its engine out. After re-fitting I have a problem in that Fuse 7 blows as soon as I turn the ignition on. I have disconnected each of the wires on fuse 7 and have isolated the one which has a dead short. All items on Fuse 7 now work except the oil pressure and fuel gauges as well as the flickers (flasher).
    It has been suggested that the problem might be at the reverse light switch on the gearbox. I do not wish to strip out the console to get to the reverse light switch unless someone can confirm that this might be feasible. PS the reverse light is working fine. Any suggestions please.

Post Thanks / Like
    It needs fault-finding Ian, which you obviously have started. Very simple electrics on these cars. Can't you get to the reversing-light switch from underneath the car?
    2000 Jaguar X308 4.0
    1973 Jensen Interceptor Mk III 7.2
    1969 Jensen Interceptor Mk I 6.3

3. Dislikes Zero123 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Ian,

if the reversing light works fine as you say then there is no short there so discount it.

What colour is the wire that you think has the short, that may tell you what it feeds. The fuel and temperatuure gauge has a voltage regulator, a small rectanglar metal device, probably mounted behind the dash board, (E Types are not my speciality) there will be one or two green wires (no trace colour) and one or two light green wires (no trace) feeding the gauges connected to it plus possibly a black earth wire to the case.

I hope this helps a little bit but come back if you are still struggling.

Alec
    MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much for your input. I will try to get to the gearbox switch from under the car. I recall two wires to the switch. Can it be that I should just reverse the two wires?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Alec, Thanks very much. The shorting wire is green as is all five wires from the fuse. The shorting wire is disconnected. The regulator has four pins, all with green wires. Pin 1 To start button. Pin 2 Into harness? Pin 3 To oil gauge- not working. Pin 4. Two green with brown trace wires, one to fuel gauge-not working, and one to water gauge- working. Would you suggest I replace the relay? Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Ian,

the first thing is to isolate the shorting wire only then see what is not working. Green wire is a fused ignition fed wire and daisy chains to many circuits, e.g. as you say to the starter button. if the fuel gauge is not working but the temperature gauge is then the regulator is not your problem. The fuel gauge not working is possibly due to the tank sender. An easy check is to short the tank sender wire to earth with the ignition on and this should cause the gauge to read full. If it does not then it's probably the gauge.
    As I said earlier, identify which circuit the shorted wire feeds is to see what is not working at all. Green feeds things like the tachometer (Although many Jaguars of that era had a seperate camshft driven generator for the tachometer), windscreen wipers and washers, fuel gauge and temperature gauge (Both one circuit) starter solenoid via the push button, indicators, heater motor, etc.

PS, as the reversing light works, ignore it it's not the problem, don't waste time struggling with the switch.

Alec
    MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piman View Post
    Hello Ian,

the first thing is to isolate the shorting wire only then see what is not working. Green wire is a fused ignition fed wire and daisy chains to many circuits, e.g. as you say to the starter button. if the fuel gauge is not working but the temperature gauge is then the regulator is not your problem. The fuel gauge not working is possibly due to the tank sender. An easy check is to short the tank sender wire to earth with the ignition on and this should cause the gauge to read full. If it does not then it's probably the gauge.
    As I said earlier, identify which circuit the shorted wire feeds is to see what is not working at all. Green feeds things like the tachometer (Although many Jaguars of that era had a seperate camshft driven generator for the tachometer), windscreen wipers and washers, fuel gauge and temperature gauge (Both one circuit) starter solenoid via the push button, indicators, heater motor, etc.

PS, as the reversing light works, ignore it it's not the problem, don't waste time struggling with the switch.

Alec
    Thank You Alec. I will take your advice on board and get down to it soon. Regards Ian