Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyres for x350

Post Thanks / Like

Tyres for x350

Tyre replacement time is looming and I'm toying with a change from the Pirelli P6000s that have been on the car since I bought it. I'm looking at Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT which are considerably cheaper than the Pirellis, which I'm replacing because of old age cracks not because they're worn out.I'm more concerned with comfort than speed ratings. Has anyone any experience or these or any other tyres that they might recommend?
    Thanks
    Pete
    235 50 18s BTW
    Last edited by PDMiller; 31-07-20 at 20:19.
    2001 XK8 convertible,33000miles, strange green colour which changes to blue depending on the light. Roof hydraulics relief valve and metal timing chain tensioners fitted to aid peace of mind.
    2005 XJ6 Sovereign, Black with Cranberry interior

Post Thanks / Like
    I've fitted Uniroyal Rainsport 5s on my x350 and have been pleased with them so far. I bought them via Camskill tyres for a decent price (https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s306..._Noise%3A_71dB)

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want comfort and safety go for Michelin Cross Climates . Not cheap but excellent ride compared to Pirelli. I’ve had them for 6 months or so and am well pleased. Quiet too

Post Thanks / Like
    Michelin Pilot Sports on my 07, very nice quiet ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Pete,
    Please (repeat please) look over on the Audi Owners Club forum about continued potentially catastrophic experiences of Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres.
    Based on these experiences, I would be avoiding them even if I were paid to have them fitted!
    Just enter ‘Dunlop Sport Maxx’ in their search box.
    Kind regards,
    Austin.
    2003 X350 V6 Sport.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having just read this I thought I'd check mine as they're Dunlop sport Maxx. Took all 4 wheels off and all are fine.
    Done some googling and it seems to be the 20" 35 profiles that are suffering this problem.
    I don't do many miles and take my wheels off regularly for cleaning so will be keeping an eye on them.
    Barry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just found this.

jberks said:

19-12-17 18:19
    I'm not excusing Dunlop as the tyres should stand up to the abuse but all reports of tyres splitting are always on 35profile 20" wheels and always on the inside edge.
    This is text book speed hump damage. If it were defective manufacture, the outside edge would feature. It never does. Most of us try to straddle bumps at the appropriate speed limit, hitting it only with the inside 1/4 of the tyre and putting all the cars weight onto the inside edge of the tyre, compressing and crushing it between the bump and the rim. That's what's causing the damage. Hit the bump straight across the centre, or avoid them and you'll likely not have a problem with the tyre (your suspension springs are another matter). Unfortunately where you live will have a large effect. There are no bumps on my route home but the next village is plagued with them. So if I lived there, I suspect I'd be on here complaining about tyre splits. As it is, I have to go through from time to time, though I will happily drive further to avoid it, so I had a watch-warning of a slight split on the last MOT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jaguar fitted the Dunlop sport maxx from factory on some cars.
    Camskill have some Michelin primacy 4's from £130 in your size. I reckon they'd be a good fit for an X350

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s306...0_18_235_50R18
    2007 S type R, Radiance Red/ Champagne

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a set of the Dunlop’s on my old XJ8 and they were worn out after about 12,000 miles and I was shocked when it failed its MOT on a front and back tyre with the other 2 just legal. Since then I have stuck with Goodyear F1 Assy 3 and they have been great. I put a set on my current XJ8 last year but then bought a set of 20” Cremona which are my all time favourite wheel on X358’s. So I have a set of little used ones 245/40/19 on a set of Polaris wheels that are in reasonable condition and as fitted to Sovereigns, will send pictures if you are interested and I am looking for £575 delivered to you.
    Current Jags

2009 XJ8 4.2 Executive Porcelain White
    2009 XF 3.0D PL in Cashmere

Previous Jags

2006 S-Type SE 2.7D in Prism Blue
    2008 XF 2.7d premium luxury in Pearl Grey
    2007 XK Convertible Midnight Black currently MIA presumed incinerated at Echo Arena New Years Eve 2017
    2004 XJ8 3.5 SE Zircon Blue
    2008 X Type Sovereign Auto 2.2D Glacier Blue
    2005 S Type SE 2.7D Auto Zircon Blue
    2003 X Type SE 3.O Topaz
    2001 XK8 4.0 Pacific Blue
    1978 XJ12L 5.3 V12 Tobacco Brown with Black Vinyl roof

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the offer Davidr and thanks to everyone for the replies.
    I'm not a lover of low profiles but like the Rapiers fitted to my present car. It came with 4x P6000s with good tread but 2 of them are 15 years old and starting to show signs of cracking and bulging, the other 2 and the spare are nearly new. I suppose the logical thing would be to buy one P6000 and run them till I need a complete new set, At this rate that'll be in 2035 and I'll be 85 but I suspect I'll need a new set before then,
    I'm not a lover of the Pirellis and find them bad for jumping ( thudding )on full lock especially on a cold morning. My last car was exactly the same but stopped doing it when I changed to a different brand.
    Thanks again for the valuable info and the leads to good deals.
    Might put up with the Pirellis if the thudding doesn't get too annoying come the Winter.
    2001 XK8 convertible,33000miles, strange green colour which changes to blue depending on the light. Roof hydraulics relief valve and metal timing chain tensioners fitted to aid peace of mind.
    2005 XJ6 Sovereign, Black with Cranberry interior

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast