Thread: timing belt/water pump and belt change

Post Thanks / Like

timing belt/water pump and belt change

Hi all, 2 weeks into ownership, had the timing belt, water pump and aux belt changed, so i know where i am with that.
    Had them done at Mistermatic Jaguar indie in Swansea. First time there, was lovely walking into a oldie style garage with an obvious modern knowledge. Cost £676.20p, piece of mind priceless lol. Next on the list gearbox fluid and filter change, but might do that myself. On top of that they checked over car and it came back with a pretty good clean bill of health although the chap there did mention about the problem of the washer pump and water tracking into the electrics. Good job, previously i was an aircraft electrician so will be sorting that out myself. i thought this was a problem from 2012 to 2015 but prevention better than cure lol.
    2009 jaguar XF premium luxury in frost blue metallic 3.0 diesel. 68,000 miles full service history 1 owner from new, well 2 now lol. Well happy

2. Likes hereford108 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bazzerhawk I'm glad you mentioned the washer pump and water tracing problem problem. I also thought this was a problem on the face lift models. I think it's time I checked mine as I didn't think it affected the 2010/11 models. Thank you
    XF 3.0D S 2010 MY11 Luxury. Indigo Blue with champagne interior
    Daily drive, 1996 Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5, 2 door with 370,000 klm on the clock that just keeps going. No ABS, no airbags and these strange handles on the door that if you turn them the window opens
    Too many previous cars to mention but none as good as the Jag

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Hereford108, actually checked my washer pump,electrical connector and cables today, no sign of water ingress or corrosion, but i had already made up a cable link made up of 4 single core 1.5 mm house wire, bullet connectors and a hermetically sealed twin crimp. If any water transits up the cable through all those connections then good luck to it. I just cut the 2 cables from the connector at the pump about 3 inches from connector and added bullet connectors to the 4 ends of the cut cables ready to connect to the cable link i made up like this. Over the top maybe, but i am confident this would stop any water travelling along and up the cables cheers Barry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cable link.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	600.2 KB 
ID:	34326
    2009 jaguar XF premium luxury in frost blue metallic 3.0 diesel. 68,000 miles full service history 1 owner from new, well 2 now lol. Well happy

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice piece of wiring. I'm pretty sure mine wont be that fancy. What do you call the piece in the middle? I will try to get one of those.
    XF 3.0D S 2010 MY11 Luxury. Indigo Blue with champagne interior
    Daily drive, 1996 Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5, 2 door with 370,000 klm on the clock that just keeps going. No ABS, no airbags and these strange handles on the door that if you turn them the window opens
    Too many previous cars to mention but none as good as the Jag

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi hereford108, you can get one of these on that well known 4 letter auction site. This is what you need to look for, all you have to do is push cables into each hole ,no need to remove insulation, and use pliers to push centre down, which releases a clear liquid to seal the inside. SL-U1B Splice terminal Scotchlok IDC blue 0.9÷1.3mm U1B SPEEDGLAS 3M. cheers Barry

7. Likes hereford108 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of thoughts.
    I’ve never heard of a single case of the washer pump issue on a pre facelift. The general consensus is that it’s a post facelift issue only. Of course no harm in being cautious but I don’t believe it’s necessary.

also, the water pump on the 3.0 isn’t driven off the cam belt, hence it’s not necessary to swap it out unless it’s noisy. I put mine into my mechanic for the standard cam belt & water pump change (as you do) and he rang me to say that he’d happily swap the pump if I wanted but it’s driven off the serpentine belt so wasn’t necessary as a failure wouldn’t wreck the engine. I believe he put a new serpentine belt on but as you have to remove it to get to the cam cover, seems silly to refit the old one.
    Also, you mention the Aux (Serpentine) beltand cam belt but not the high pressure fuel pump belt at the back?
    The cam and fuel pump belts are listed together on the service sheet and are normally done at the same time. Failure of that one isn’t as catastrophic as the cam belt obviously but the pumps are timed so a bit of a faff ( and a breakdown) if it goes.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury
    2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi jberks, thanks for info, i knew about the waterpump and belt being separate but decided as the car is 10.5 years old, a pump, belt and coolant change wouldn't do any harm. i do know about the fuel pump belt and had that checked and it was ok so decided to leave it for the time being. I will be doing the servicing myself from now on as i don't believe we get value for money from garages generally, that or i am a tight bugger lol. It's great to be able to come to the forum for so much info, i'm learning about the XF very quickly because of the forum. Cheers Barry

Post Thanks / Like
    The faulty washer pump was only fitted to facelift models, the easiest preventive measure is to just replace it with the new part number before any issues arise. It's an easy 45min DIY fix and about £75 for the Jaguar pump or £45 for the aftermarket one.
    MY15 X250, XF R-Sport 3.0D Black Pack, Ceramic coated, 19" alloys SOLD!