Thread: Somewhat confused by my XF S

Post Thanks / Like

Somewhat confused by my XF S

I am new to Jaguar my last British car was a Lotus Cortina!

I just bought a 2017 XF S from a leasing company that came with no manual or detailed vehicle description. I got the car specs from TOPIx and an e-manual so I am part way home.

The specifications claim a front camera but I cant find one. There do appear to be cameras under the wing mirrors. The confusion is that the camera selection on the central screen only shows a rear view. Initially there were yellow guidance lines when reversing but I have somehow eliminated them. My wife claims that she once saw the 360 view on the screen but we have not been able to re-find how she did that. Any suggestions?

Two other questions. When the car is parked there is a slight hum from the front right in the engine compartment. Sounds like a computer cooling fan but this is running long after the car has been shut off. Normal?

Lastly and embarrassed to ask - where is the oil dip stick? Not sure why I cant see it.

Most important I love driving this car much better than my last 5 series.

I have one year left on the warranty and I am finding this BB great in identifying issues on which I need to keep an eye. I live some distance from the nearest dealer so visits will be, I hope, rare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum Bruce!
    I had the XF S six years ago. On mine the fan would keep running after switching off if the engine was hot. I think that was to cool the turbos, to prevent the oil in them from evaporating.
    I had a rear camera, but no front camera or 360 view on mine.
    There is definitely no oil stick: You have to rely on the readout on the dashboard.
    Mine was a very impressive car, which I changed for the XK only because I retired, didn’t need four seats any more, and diesel wasn’t suitable for my decreased mileage.
    You should be able to download an online handbook. I have done that for the XK, though I also have a handbook in the car.
    Enjoy both the car and the forum!
    2006 XK Indigo Blue with Caramel seats and Sable carpets

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce1947 View Post
    I am new to Jaguar my last British car was a Lotus Cortina!

Two other questions. When the car is parked there is a slight hum from the front right in the engine compartment. Sounds like a computer cooling fan but this is running long after the car has been shut off.
    hi Bruce... that could be a ambient cabin temperature sensor(s). Certainly in the X-Type, S-Type, XJ the sensors, usually in the dash, would run for about 20 minutes after the ignition was off. The sensor has a small fan to draw in the air from the cabin. Not an expert on the XF by any means, but the ‘slight hum’ draws me into thinking it might just be the same.
    X-Type Sport 2.5 V6 AWD Auto MY2002 82K miles Platinum Cranberry leather sports seats, Aguila 17in rims

www.xtype.uk - For Everything X-Type

Retrofits: Climate Control, touch screen, JagDroid, ACM, front/reverse cameras, message centre, bluetooth, voice, LED interior, facelift steering wheel, facelift center console/sliding arm rest, facelift door cards, powerfold mirrors, powerfold on lock, clear side repeaters, puddle lights, rear electric windows, parking aid, Nextbase 522GW+Rear Dashcam

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum.
    Do you have InControl Touch Pro (10 in screen), or InControl Touch (8 inch screen with 4 physical buttons down each side)?
    The guidance lines in the rearview camera should come on automatically when you select reverse.
    Last edited by KBeee; 01-08-20 at 14:51.
    XF S 3.0SC Petrol MY2017

Post Thanks / Like
    The front facing camera will be in the front grille above the badge, the oil is checked on the dash display but this option is not there if the engine is running, press the start button without foot on brake pedal the use the steering buttons on the right to navigate to service on display, this is where the oil is checked, it also take quite a while for the car to ‘go to sleep’.
    XJ Portfolio 3.0d 2016/17 Illuminated Tread Plates and Boot Trim, Remote boot closure.
    Remapped to 345bhp and 780nm torque...surprisingly quick!!

Previous Jags

XFS 3.0 380bhp Supercharged 2015/16 with all the toys
    XE 2.0 Portfolio 2015/16 in Celestial Black and fully loaded
    XF Sportbrake 2.2 Portfolio 2014/15
    XF Premium Luxury 3.0 2013
    XF Premium Luxury 2.7 2008
    S Type 2.7 Diesel Sport 2005
    X Type 2.5 V6 AWD Estate 2004
    S Type 3.0 SE V6 petrol 1999

Post Thanks / Like
    Topix lists front camera as meaning the one in the front windscreen, which all XF’s have as standard. These cameras are for the AEB function and road sign recognition.
    Current Car:
    2016 XF 3.0d S, 17MY - 35k miles, Ultimate Black and loads of extras.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY

Resident Super Moderator.
    My 2016 x260 XF 3.0d S ownership thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear All,

Thank you for the replies. Based on your comments I don't have the front facing camera behind the grill above the badge perhaps what looks like a camera under the door mirrors are not functional. I am guessing that I don't have the 360 surround view. I have the 8.5 inch screen with the buttons on the left. The hum is now gone but for curiosity sake I will try learn more when it reoccurs.

Anyone else lose their yellow guidance lines when reversing?

The car is likely to stay stock - except for rim size; it came with 19 inch winter tires and I opted for 19, rather than the standard 20 inch, summer tires. I may lose handling capabilities but we live on a country road that is often badly pot-holed. I thought to avoid the damaged 20 inch rims that have irked me previously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, if you put the car into reverse, then press the settings button in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, two options come up, one puts on the yellow lines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Hmel, Yellow lines back.

One more question that I cant answer from my e-manual.

What is the function of the 3 prong male plug at the lower front right of the grill. I thought block heater but it is not a logical location.

regards,