Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Creaky rear

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    England / Morpeth
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Creaky rear

    Not a medical problem, just an annoying creak from the rear suspension on my 2009 XF 3.0 d.

    I will be getting it up in the air to investigate, but I thought I would ask if there is a common problem.

    I'm thinking new shock absorbers, but will try localising the sound and maybe lubricate any dry bushes.

  2. #2
    Senior Member barryhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
    Not a medical problem, just an annoying creak from the rear suspension on my 2009 XF 3.0 d.

    I will be getting it up in the air to investigate, but I thought I would ask if there is a common problem.

    I'm thinking new shock absorbers, but will try localising the sound and maybe lubricate any dry bushes.

    Wishbone/control arm bushes are reasonably common culprits.
    Currently: 2010 XF 3.0 Petrol - Premium Luxury
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    S-Type 3.0 SE 2007
    S-Type 3.0 Sport Auto 2004
    S-Type Spirit 2.7D Auto 2007
    S-Type 2.5 SE Auto 2004
    2 x 2.1 X-Type SE
    2 x Xj6 (1 x 4.2 litre & 1 x 3.4 Litre)
    Daimler 2.8 Litre

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    England / Morpeth
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I'll check them out. Is it something you can lube or we talking new bits?

  4. #4
    Senior Member OzJagXFS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Adelaide South Australia
    Posts
    1,124
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had a few cars in the past (not Jags) with creaky rear ends, and every time it was the rear sway bar rubber bushes, either worn out or needed greasing.
    The XF has a "stabilizer" bar instead with mounts/links at each end, see this diagram from the Workshop Manual:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XF X250 rear suspension.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	34337

    Part # 12 is the stabilizer bar and part # 4 is the link.
    The Manual doesn't show if there are rubber bushes on these links but if there are I reckon they are the prime suspects.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    England / Morpeth
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh. More for me to check. Cheers.

  6. #6
    Senior Member barryhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
    Thanks. I'll check them out. Is it something you can lube or we talking new bits?
    You can loosen off the bolts and lube but from my experience it’s a short term fix - although it would prove they are the culprits or not.

    Can be a pain to press out/in to fit new bushes unless you have a press and people will have had different degrees of success - it’s easy to fit the complete wishbone once you have identified which it is, but of course that will be more expensive.
    Currently: 2010 XF 3.0 Petrol - Premium Luxury
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    S-Type 3.0 SE 2007
    S-Type 3.0 Sport Auto 2004
    S-Type Spirit 2.7D Auto 2007
    S-Type 2.5 SE Auto 2004
    2 x 2.1 X-Type SE
    2 x Xj6 (1 x 4.2 litre & 1 x 3.4 Litre)
    Daimler 2.8 Litre

  7. #7
    Senior Member Phil F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Kent the pothole capital of the world
    Posts
    523
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are the bushes mentioned a ball joint or a rubber bush ? Past experience with rubber bushes that creak indicates that the rubber has delaminated from the steel casing. Lubing it will confirm the fault but the only cure is to replace them . Squeaky ball joints if they are still sound can be lubricated if the rubber gaiter is ok but need to be compressed to let the lube get to the lower part of the ball joint . Probably just as easy to replace
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

    2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

  8. #8
    Senior Member barryhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil F View Post
    Are the bushes mentioned a ball joint or a rubber bush ? Past experience with rubber bushes that creak indicates that the rubber has delaminated from the steel casing. Lubing it will confirm the fault but the only cure is to replace them . Squeaky ball joints if they are still sound can be lubricated if the rubber gaiter is ok but need to be compressed to let the lube get to the lower part of the ball joint . Probably just as easy to replace
    Bushes like these ......

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bushes.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	34352
    Currently: 2010 XF 3.0 Petrol - Premium Luxury
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    S-Type 3.0 SE 2007
    S-Type 3.0 Sport Auto 2004
    S-Type Spirit 2.7D Auto 2007
    S-Type 2.5 SE Auto 2004
    2 x 2.1 X-Type SE
    2 x Xj6 (1 x 4.2 litre & 1 x 3.4 Litre)
    Daimler 2.8 Litre

  9. #9
    Senior Member Phil F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Kent the pothole capital of the world
    Posts
    523
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok they are the rubber type and creaking will mean that the rubber has delaminated or broken. Only way to cure is to replace them . An extractor can be made with a couple of suitable sockets and a length of studding and nuts and washers . The same items can be used to pull the new buses back into the housing.
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

    2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

  10. #10
    Senior Member barryhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil F View Post
    Ok they are the rubber type and creaking will mean that the rubber has delaminated or broken. Only way to cure is to replace them . An extractor can be made with a couple of suitable sockets and a length of studding and nuts and washers . The same items can be used to pull the new buses back into the housing.
    Basically what I said
    Currently: 2010 XF 3.0 Petrol - Premium Luxury
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    S-Type 3.0 SE 2007
    S-Type 3.0 Sport Auto 2004
    S-Type Spirit 2.7D Auto 2007
    S-Type 2.5 SE Auto 2004
    2 x 2.1 X-Type SE
    2 x Xj6 (1 x 4.2 litre & 1 x 3.4 Litre)
    Daimler 2.8 Litre

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •