Thread: Help needed !! Smoking engine bay

Post Thanks / Like

Help needed !! Smoking engine bay

Hi new member , I was looking to privately buy a xfs 2011 3.0 v6 (82k) just serviced are 80k . Car was lovely however upon returning after test drive the car smelt of burning and had a small amount of smoke coming from back right ride of engine bay under distributer . It stopped after 5 mins , seller says never ever happened before and was clearly unhappy about it . I got him to turn car over and run for ten minutes and Rev but this smoke never happened again . He later messaged to say hed driven it after I left for 30 mile and had no repeat . I love the car but all seems a big risk to me , any ideas ? Could it be simple matter of oil burning ? Or something more sinister

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is oil then where did it come from. Not normal. Walk away and find another one.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jim , hes invited me back tonight for a long test drive to show its not happening again, my head is saying leave it but my heart fell in love with the car . Would taking out a warranty cover to give me piece of mind ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Entirely your choice Andy. Should you feel strongly enough to buy then a comprehensive warranty, at least for the first year, would be a sensible precaution to take.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that you would be very luck to find a warranty that's going to cover an oil leak.

Seriously, there's plenty of other cars available.
    2000 Jaguar X308 4.0
    1969 Jensen Interceptor Mk I 6.3 litre
    2012 BMW Z4 M-Sport
    2016 Vauxhall GTC

6. Dislikes Zero123 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay guys thanks for the replies , I walked away from the car and followed my head . Ive actually bought a bmw and will be changing to a jag when money gets back to normal and I can afford a better XF

8. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post