Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My first Jag / need hands free phone

Post Thanks / Like

My first Jag / need hands free phone

Hello all, this is my first post. I've been lurking (reading) for a while now.

A couple of months ago I bought a 2004 X-Type, 2.5L petrol, manual, AWD. Not sure if it's a Sport, a Sovereign or an SE, but it has loads of options. Leather heated seats, AC, touch screen, sat-nav (got the 2011/12 dvd), front CD and 6 CD rear (won't eject though, odd), 85k miles. In the armrest I have ACM (USB, old iPod port, and red/white aux in). I don't know what audio system it has (the standard or the swanky one) And it has Voice control.

Drives amazing, no serious dents/scratches, interior has only very minor wear on front seats. I love it to bits. Can't believe it's 16 years old! I can well foresee forking out for new sills (haven't checked them properly yet), or whatever else it might need doing at some point.

There is no phone cradle, and when I press the phone button on the dash it displays "No phone". Surely enough, when I pulled out the lining in the boot, I could not see (or rather feel with my hand) any Bluetooth or Phone module under the CD changer. Nor could I see any labels on the wires suggesting they were there. Looks like it's just CD changer (which doesn't eject), SatNav on top, and Voice module on top of that.

Not much of a surprise as I read that Bluetooth wasn't standard until sometime after 2004. Previous to this, if there was a phone option, it wasn't Bluetooth but some redundant technology. Either way I seem to have none of this.

I've read a fair few threads but want confirmation of what it is I have to do to be able to make handsfree calls from my phone (I've got a Samsung at the moment but planning on getting an iPhone soon).

I have heard that I'll need a Bluetooth module, and also a phone module. Is it true I'll need both? If I recall correctly the Bluetooth module needs to be a specific model number. If I need the phone module too I suppose that will have to be a specific model number also.

I have also read that there may be a combination module which includes both the Bluetooth and the phone module, but in a single unit that would fix to the rack in the boot (rather than the BT in the boot and phone in the centre console / armrest. And I have also read some post by someone saying he just left the separte BT module in the boot near the phone module, not bothering to root it towards the front.

Finally I have heard there is an issue regarding wires, people talking about the number of wires going from the centre console to the boot (3, 5 or 8?), and depending on the number of wires it is or isn't possible to connect the phone module to the BT module in the boot. And I'll need to daisy chain some of the modules is that correct?

In summary, I have Voice, so I have a mic. I don't have either the BT or phone module. And if I did I wouldn't know how to connect them (wiring). That's where I'm at for now. I'm attaching some photos which might help someone give me some pointers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200906_215054.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	34761Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200906_215107.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	34762Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200907_223442.jpg 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	34763Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200907_224143.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	34764
    Silver Jaguar X-Type saloon - 2004
    V6 2.5L petrol, manual, AWD. Black leather heated memory seats, AC, touch screen, 2011/12 sat-nav, front CD and 6 CD rear, ACM, Voice. Drives amazing, no dents/scratches, interior has only very minor wear on front seats. 86k miles. Retrofitted Bluetooth for handsfree calls.

Post Thanks / Like
    the later black plastic bluetooth module is a combined unit! and will work if you have the wiring. you will also need the small separate microphone that sits next to the roof console
    module - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-X-...AAAOSwbc1fR9Kv
    microphone - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MICROPHON...MAAOSwVkZdmhjW
    You will also need a fibre optic extension cable - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-X-...EAAOSwI61c4x~A
    Nov '09 2.0D Sovereign Estate 80,000 mls, Ionian blue, Charcoal leather/cream piping & leaper logo on Headrests, Alpine premium sound, Sat nav, CD changer & ACM. 35/55w HID headlights, LED Fogs, LED indicators, EGR blanked. Blue calipers with Jag logo, front/rear Dash cams, Power fold mirrors on lock, Auto DRL/Fog changeover, Projector Puddle lights, Rear ashtray conv to USB/Aux, Andriod computer on touchscreen c/w reverse/front cameras, Twin S/S back boxes, OAP, F & R dimpled/grooved discs.

3. Thanks lamplighter thanked for this post
    Likes lamplighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your CD changer wont eject probably because one of the cartridges is stuck. I bought one off ebay that played the cds that were in it, but wouldn't eject and that was the issue I had. You can try gentle tapping the magazine with a screwdriver while it is switched on. I took the cover off mine in the end to free the stuck one.
    2009 (09) X-Type 2.2D SE Auto, Barbados Alloys Trim: Leather Ivory St Oyster Upr R/Wood 09 Paint: Tektite 2063 Grey.

5. Likes lamplighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The GSM phone is old tech, but it still works! I retro-fitted mine. However. If I were you. Go bluetooth! Parts are easier to get. As suggested above. Get the external microphone. I've got the internal microphone (It's inside the courtesy light unit). From reports about the audio quality. The sound was a little muffled. It's OK for the voice control though.
    2002 2.1SE.
    Retro fitted CD changer, GSM phone, Voice Control and Sat Nav.

7. Likes lamplighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice one Euan, I will order that combo unit and the fibre optic extension cable now.

... but the mic... do I really need it if I already have Voice? I have heard the Voice mic can be quiet, but i have also read that some people find it's sufficient. I think I'll try it with the Voice mic and only if it's insufficiently loud will I purchase a mic. Would rather find one that is more visually discreet. Though I suppose I could hide it somewhere.

Either way, appreciated. I'll post back here when I get the parts and install them. Cheers!
    V6 2.5L petrol, manual, AWD. Black leather heated memory seats, AC, touch screen, 2011/12 sat-nav, front CD and 6 CD rear, ACM, Voice. Drives amazing, no dents/scratches, interior has only very minor wear on front seats. 86k miles. Retrofitted Bluetooth for handsfree calls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamplighter View Post
    Nice one Euan, I will order that combo unit and the fibre optic extension cable now.

... but the mic... do I really need it if I already have Voice? I have heard the Voice mic can be quiet, but i have also read that some people find it's sufficient. I think I'll try it with the Voice mic and only if it's insufficiently loud will I purchase a mic. Would rather find one that is more visually discreet. Though I suppose I could hide it somewhere.

Either way, appreciated. I'll post back here when I get the parts and install them. Cheers!
    you don't need the mic if you already have voice fitted, as the Bluetooth uses the same mic. Is your voice mic external to the roof console?
    2001 X-Type 2.5 V6 Sport AWD Auto 02MY 83K miles Platinum, Cranberry leather sports seats, Aguila 17in rims

www.xtype.uk or Find Us On Facebook

Retrofits: Climate Control, touch screen, JagDroid, ACM, front/reverse cameras, message centre, bluetooth, voice, LED interior, facelift steering wheel, facelift center console/sliding arm rest, facelift door cards, powerfold mirrors, powerfold on lock, clear side repeaters, puddle lights, rear electric windows, parking aid, Nextbase 522GW+Rear Dashcam

10. Likes lamplighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post
    The GSM phone is old tech, but it still works! I retro-fitted mine. However. If I were you. Go bluetooth! Parts are easier to get. As suggested above. Get the external microphone. I've got the internal microphone (It's inside the courtesy light unit). From reports about the audio quality. The sound was a little muffled. It's OK for the voice control though.
    Retro fitting the GSM phone would be cool imo! And keeping everything else absolutely factory. Even if it's on a different sim card to my normal phone I can see the appeal.

Though I think for me I will eventually get the JagDroid upgrade. So taking the car in a different direction. BT for me

12. Likes MarkFY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Retro fitting the GSM phone would be cool imo! And keeping everything else absolutely factory. Even if it's on a different sim card to my normal phone I can see the appeal.

Though I think for me I will eventually get the JagDroid upgrade. So taking the car in a different direction. BT for me
    JagDroid is definitely a good road to go down.
    2001 X-Type 2.5 V6 Sport AWD Auto 02MY 83K miles Platinum, Cranberry leather sports seats, Aguila 17in rims

Retrofits: Climate Control, touch screen, JagDroid, ACM, front/reverse cameras, message centre, bluetooth, voice, LED interior, facelift steering wheel, facelift center console/sliding arm rest, facelift door cards, powerfold mirrors, powerfold on lock, clear side repeaters, puddle lights, rear electric windows, parking aid, Nextbase 522GW+Rear Dashcam

14. Likes lamplighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also worth pointing out to you that what you have in your centre console, in terms of iPod, phono, usb connections is ACM (Audio Connectivity Module) and it is a rare beast indeed. I came across mine a couple of years ago by luck. Let's you play usb memory sticks or analogue audio through your headunit via the CDC source. There is a switch on the phono socket box that switches between ACM or the CD changer.

https://www.xtype.uk/x-files/14/How%...0-%20Functions

16. Likes lamplighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I admit. It's somewhat cool to lift the upper part of the centre armrest to reveal the phone handset. Having said that. Getting some of the parts are extreamly hard. The two rarest parts are the antenna that fits under the rear bumper and the link lead that goes from the loom under the center console to the end of the phone. As for the plinth that the phone holder sits on. Forget it. I had to make my own.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jag_Phone.jpg 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	34771
    2002 2.1SE.
    Retro fitted CD changer, GSM phone, Voice Control and Sat Nav.

18. Likes MarkFY, lamplighter liked this post
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast