Thread: Removing scratches from wood veneer dashboard fascia

Post Thanks / Like

Removing scratches from wood veneer dashboard fascia

I have removed scratches from the new dashboard fascia I bought (mentioned here).

Still don't know if I'm going to keep it as I bought it on a whim, and my carbon fibre fascia is quite nice actually.

The one problem with this job was I couldn't remove the fans that came with the fascia. Alan keys are no use. Maybe someone knows what tool I need.

Anyway I followed Billy2Jags advice and got my self some 2000 grit wet and dry sanding paper, Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and some microfibre polishing things.

Mixed a drop of washing up liquid into a small tub of water.

Soaked the sandpaper in it before wrapping the sandpaper around a block, and gently sanding for about 5mn I guess. The scratches came out great.

Then I applied Meguiar's and buffed it up by hand. You would never know the scratches were there.

I feel it could do with extra shine though. Any thoughts on how I could achieve it?

PS. I would have added some nice photos of all this, but I have reached my photo quota it seems. What is my quota? Does anyone know?
    Silver Jaguar X-Type saloon - 2004
    V6 2.5L petrol, manual, AWD. Black leather heated memory seats, AC, touch screen, 2011/12 sat-nav, front CD and 6 CD rear, ACM, Voice. Drives amazing, no dents/scratches, interior has only very minor wear on front seats. 86k miles. Retrofitted Bluetooth for handsfree calls.

2. Likes John Kerr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Upload pics to here http://postimage.org/ then use the img tags on here to post the link created.
    Vents are probably held in with torx drive bolts, most likely T20 and for more shine, just keep polishing
    A polishing pad in an electric drill works well.
    Current. 2011 XFS Portfolio. Lunar Grey (LJZ) / Black (LEG).
    Previous. 2012 XF Premium Luxury. Remapped 307 BHP / 449 lb/ft. Italian Racing Red (CAH) / Barley
    Previous. 2005 55 reg 06MY 2.0D Sovereign. Jaguar Racing Green - HGZ.
    In storage.1988 Daimler XJ40. Bordeaux Red / Doeskin.

4. Thanks lamplighter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Billy2Jags... I finally set up my postimage account...

Got hold of a torx driver

I will get back to polishing one day and update this thread with new pictures.

For now here are some snaps of the initial work I did last month removing the scratches.

Silver Jaguar X-Type saloon - 2004
    V6 2.5L petrol, manual, AWD. Black leather heated memory seats, AC, touch screen, 2011/12 sat-nav, front CD and 6 CD rear, ACM, Voice. Drives amazing, no dents/scratches, interior has only very minor wear on front seats. 86k miles. Retrofitted Bluetooth for handsfree calls.

6. Likes Billy2Jags liked this post