Thread: 2005 X-Type AWD systems

Post Thanks / Like

2005 X-Type AWD systems

Believe the AWD systems changed in 2005 from viscous coupling to electronic control.
    How can you tell which system the car has?

Looking at the one in the classifieds and would prefer the electronic control.

Thanks again

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetgricey View Post
    Believe the AWD systems changed in 2005 from viscous coupling to electronic control.
    How can you tell which system the car has?

Looking at the one in the classifieds and would prefer the electronic control.

Thanks again

Dave
    This thead might interest you... also beware that as of around 2006 onwards (cars registered after 23rd March 2006) Car Tax is significantly higher on 2.5 and 3L X-Types (ie the AWD models) in the UK.

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...l=1#post356078

VC was not fitted to TC after VIN D56272, biginning of 04MY.
    2001 X-Type 2.5 V6 Sport AWD Auto 02MY 83K miles Platinum, Cranberry leather sports seats, Aguila 17in rims

www.xtype.uk or Find Us On Facebook

Retrofits: Climate Control, touch screen, JagDroid, ACM, front/reverse cameras, message centre, bluetooth, voice, LED interior, facelift steering wheel, facelift center console/sliding arm rest, facelift door cards, powerfold mirrors, powerfold on lock, clear side repeaters, puddle lights, rear electric windows, parking aid, Nextbase 522GW+Rear Dashcam

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, but unfortunately it's raise another question.

If the VC is not fitted, does that mean that post 2005 (VIN as above) that the cars are just constant AWD, via a diff or similar.

Apologies for what is probably a stupid question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetgricey View Post
    Thanks, but unfortunately it's raise another question.

If the VC is not fitted, does that mean that post 2005 (VIN as above) that the cars are just constant AWD, via a diff or similar.

Apologies for what is probably a stupid question.
    Initially, the X-Type was available only with AWD, using a centre differential and a compact, maintenance-free viscous coupling with a default split of 60 percent torque to the rear wheels, 40 percent to the front wheels. Under loss of traction front or rear, the coupling could vary the front/rear torque split and could fully transfer torque to either front or rear wheels to ensure grip. From 2005-on, X-Types used an electronically controlled transfer cases rather than the centre viscous coupling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_X-Type

I wouldn't personally let the viscous coupling (with or without) be the deciding factor of your vehicle choice. I think there are more important factors to consider.
    2001 X-Type 2.5 V6 Sport AWD Auto 02MY 83K miles Platinum, Cranberry leather sports seats, Aguila 17in rims

www.xtype.uk or Find Us On Facebook

Retrofits: Climate Control, touch screen, JagDroid, ACM, front/reverse cameras, message centre, bluetooth, voice, LED interior, facelift steering wheel, facelift center console/sliding arm rest, facelift door cards, powerfold mirrors, powerfold on lock, clear side repeaters, puddle lights, rear electric windows, parking aid, Nextbase 522GW+Rear Dashcam