Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: poor fuel consumption xfs s 3.0l diesel

Post Thanks / Like

poor fuel consumption xfs s 3.0l diesel

iv'e just bought a 2010 xfs 3.0l diesel and the mpg is not very good
    i did a 50 mile round trip in it mainly motorway at 70mph with cruise switched on and it was only averaging 35mpg
    round town around 25mpg so far taking it easy

whats the most common cause on these vehicles for poor fuel consumption ?

it runs and drives fine and i keep hearing about 45mpg on a run but it seems unlikely in this particular XF

any pointers would be great

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, my average over the last 12 years is 24.8mpg, I have tried driving like Miss Daisy and like I stole it, it doesn't seem to make any difference so I just drive it how I feel like now. Having said that I didn't buy a Jag for fuel economy. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Cosmicma. I also bought a 2010 3.0XFS a week last saturday and so far, my daily 40mile round trip commute to work and back is returning me a steady 43mpg. This is along the motorway at a steady 70 and i really feel that there is more to gain as the trip computer is still creeping up by a 10th/ml or so along the same stretches where my old 2.2 X type would fall. I am keen to see how this regular use 'loosens' her up a bit.

I cant comment on the XF here and i hope some of our forum friends can... But i greatly increased the MPG of my old X type over the period of a couple of months (doing the same run) with a little TLC.

When i first got my last X type in 2016 with 70,000mls, i struggled to get more than 37mpg along the route. I was also suffering the known flashing coil light and limp mode on hard acceleration so i first got her a full service - new oil and filters. I also put a full can of Forte in the fuel tank to 1/3 Shell V power and gave her an Italian tune up. Instantly, this cured the flashing coil and limp mode. I then refilled with V power and added another bottle of Forte to the tank. By around 2 months later, the same journeys were returning an average of 49mpg with mid 50's on a long run.
    I only ever run V power in the tank after that (and am still doing so in the XF) and also added a measure of Millers EcoMax to almost every tank. When i traded her last Saturday, she had 143,000mls, had never given me any engine troubles (apart from a failed EGR valve) ran sweet as silk and was still returning me 45mpg daily usage and i think the drop there was due to the intercooler requiring a clean out. (drips of oil seeping through the jubilee - so i reckon there was some gunk in there)

I would wait to hear from our more experienced XF forum friends on this but my initial gut feeling would be to run any poor diesel down, fill up with V Power, add a bottle of Forte Turbo cleaner (If the experienced XF guys approve) and say 'bugger it' to the MPG for a couple of weeks and get her legs stretched! Get them blowers blowing and enjoy giving her the exercise.
    Irritating the humourless since 1973

Current - 2010 XF 3.0 Portfolio S saloon
    Previous
    2006 2.2d X type sports premium estate with ots of extra bits
    2005 2.0D X type XS saloon

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by philayl1 View Post
    Hi, my average over the last 12 years is 24.8mpg, I have tried driving like Miss Daisy and like I stole it, it doesn't seem to make any difference so I just drive it how I feel like now. Having said that I didn't buy a Jag for fuel economy. Phil
    thanks for the reply

i keep seeing posts about good fuel economy in the 3ltr xf's it made me wonder if mine was a little thirsty

then again i see people post 60+ mpg out of the x-type i had before the xf which seems unlikely i think mine averaged 45 on a run which seemed about right all things considered

going to put some injector cleaner through at some stage to see if it makes a difference but i won't hold my breath

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by philayl1 View Post
    Hi, my average over the last 12 years is 24.8mpg, Phil
    Crickey. That can't be right. Most people with your vehicle seem to get around 35mpg
    https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/jaguar/xf-2008
    2007 S type R, Radiance Red/ Champagne

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Squirrel View Post
    Hi Cosmicma. I also bought a 2010 3.0XFS a week last saturday and so far, my daily 40mile round trip commute to work and back is returning me a steady 43mpg. This is along the motorway at a steady 70 and i really feel that there is more to gain as the trip computer is still creeping up by a 10th/ml or so along the same stretches where my old 2.2 X type would fall. I am keen to see how this regular use 'loosens' her up a bit.

I cant comment on the XF here and i hope some of our forum friends can... But i greatly increased the MPG of my old X type over the period of a couple of months (doing the same run) with a little TLC.

When i first got my last X type in 2016 with 70,000mls, i struggled to get more than 37mpg along the route. I was also suffering the known flashing coil light and limp mode on hard acceleration so i first got her a full service - new oil and filters. I also put a full can of Forte in the fuel tank to 1/3 Shell V power and gave her an Italian tune up. Instantly, this cured the flashing coil and limp mode. I then refilled with V power and added another bottle of Forte to the tank. By around 2 months later, the same journeys were returning an average of 49mpg with mid 50's on a long run.
    I only ever run V power in the tank after that (and am still doing so in the XF) and also added a measure of Millers EcoMax to almost every tank. When i traded her last Saturday, she had 143,000mls, had never given me any engine troubles (apart from a failed EGR valve) ran sweet as silk and was still returning me 45mpg daily usage and i think the drop there was due to the intercooler requiring a clean out. (drips of oil seeping through the jubilee - so i reckon there was some gunk in there)

I would wait to hear from our more experienced XF forum friends on this but my initial gut feeling would be to run any poor diesel down, fill up with V Power, add a bottle of Forte Turbo cleaner (If the experienced XF guys approve) and say 'bugger it' to the MPG for a couple of weeks and get her legs stretched! Get them blowers blowing and enjoy giving her the exercise.
    thanks for the reply

it was still creeping up on mine but taking a while to do so
    iv'e not had the car a week yet so plenty of time to work things out
    goes well though

7. Likes Mr Squirrel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I usually check my mpg when I refill the tank - the real figures are normally a lot lower than the on-board computer figures!

My mpg data is;
    Best: 43.03
    Worst: 30.77
    Average: 37.62

I rarely use the car in town, my mileage is 'A' road or motorway.
    2014 XF 3.0D Portfolio / 2006 Kia Picanto 1.1LX

9. Thanks cosmicma thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    25 purely round town, 35 on a mixed short run and 48 on my regular run down the A14 to Bury St Edmunds.
    Current. 2011 XFS Portfolio. Lunar Grey (LJZ) / Black (LEG).
    Previous. 2012 XF Premium Luxury. Remapped 307 BHP / 449 lb/ft. Italian Racing Red (CAH) / Barley
    Previous. 2005 55 reg 06MY 2.0D Sovereign. Jaguar Racing Green - HGZ.
    In storage.1988 Daimler XJ40. Bordeaux Red / Doeskin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKis View Post
    Crickey. That can't be right. Most people with your vehicle seem to get around 35mpg
    https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/jaguar/xf-2008
    I can only dream! Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's impossible to compare as well all drive in different environments. I've seen 55mpg, most motorway runs I see 43-45 and round town I just don't look - though I have seen 17 in traffic and over 30 cruising around.
    Firstly cruise control is awful for fuel economy so that may explain a lot of it.
    Most people think driving economically requires you to avoid the throttle. Hence most people couldn't be more wrong. The pedal you avoid is the brake. Think of the brake as a fuel dump, which is really what it is. Follow the 'hypermiler' technique, lift off early and coast, whether around town or on a motorway and you'll see a massive improvement in MPG.
    2 other things though.
    Run some fuel cleaner through it to clean the injectors and valves. This may take a few doses but could help considerably with efficiency on older engines.
    Also the XF doesn't have a temperature gauge so you have no idea if the car is running up to temp or whether it's running a little cold all the time. Invest in a cheap code reader and phone app as this will tell you if there are any fault codes you need to be aware of and and provide temp info at the same time.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury
    2019 Discovery Sport 180 HSE Lux

13. Likes Mr Squirrel, hkxf250 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast