Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wishing Lewis the best this weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by old shape View Post
    @mac_doctor
    Agree with all of that............except the "Off track" bit. The drivers are the front of the team, the ones totally in the public eye - the ones pulling in the sponsorship. Their behaviour and attitudes are vital. I and many others have never liked LH for that, and IMO he has gone considerably worse lately.
    I and MANY others love LH for his on-track performances and for his off-track attitude to stand-up and be counted. Lewis has done NOTHING that should embarass Mercedes or Formula 1. Indeed Mercedes have wholeheartedly embraced Lewis' personal 'causes' and joined him in unfettered support.

I agree that "behaviour and attitudes are vital" - absolutely! And right now it is important for Lewis to use his voice loudly.
    2001 X-Type 2.5 V6 Sport AWD Auto 02MY 83K miles Platinum, Cranberry leather sports seats, Aguila 17in rims

www.xtype.uk or Find Us On Facebook

Retrofits: Climate Control, touch screen, JagDroid, ACM, front/reverse cameras, message centre, bluetooth, voice, LED interior, facelift steering wheel, facelift center console/sliding arm rest, facelift door cards, powerfold mirrors, powerfold on lock, clear side repeaters, puddle lights, rear electric windows, parking aid, Nextbase 522GW+Rear Dashcam

2. Thanks Neilr thanked for this post
    Likes Neilr, 1955davidr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One trouble with judging on off-track attitude is that we miss nuances: for example different countries' attitudes and norms. I'm sure that Germans didn't find MS too arrogant, and Brazilians found temperamental sympathy with AS.

There is also the issue that too often we are forced to measure folk's attitude from their interactions with people that I don't care for (press interviews, for example).

I'm sure that some people prefer their sports stars to be real-life role models and ambassadors, but I'm not in that group (e.g. I thought Gazza was brilliant on the pitch and didn't really care about his off pitch persona)

On track persona, however, is really important to me. Liabilities (MS, AS, Grosjean) irritate me, whiny brats (SV) too: laid back chaps (JB, pretty much any Scandinavian, most Australians) and honest workers (Alain Prost, Leclerc) appeal. Max I am not sure about yet: When he started at age - what - 12? I thought he was young and Senna'ish, then entitled a la Vettel, but he seems to be growing up into quite the driver, and his on-track attitude is beginning to settle down into laid-back confidence.

I hate people with a bad on-track attitude, such as those that can't overtake but spend all day moaning about their opponents not understanding why they should be let through, and I dislike intensely people that demand subservience from their team mates. Gazza comes in here too: I got really miffed when his off-track persona intruded on the pitch, and I never warmed to him when that started happening.

Overall Lewis appeals: he grew into the role like Max is currently, and he seems to genuinely enjoy his time on the track (when his tyres aren't exploding), and on balance I would definitely prefer him to have the records rather than MS.

So yes: wishing Lewis the best for this weekend.

4. Likes 1955davidr, Neilr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shame he didn't read (or at least absorb) the race directors notes re practice starts, but what is even more odd is that it appears no one within the team spotted that he should not have done it the first time and stopped him doing it for a second time!

6. Likes old shape liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep - definitely a strange one. But it's not like he hasn't got several more chances soon!
    2017 Jaguar XJ Autobiography 5.0 S/C V8

8. Likes MarkFY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Shame he didn't read (or at least absorb) the race directors notes re practice starts, but what is even more odd is that it appears no one within the team spotted that he should not have done it the first time and stopped him doing it for a second time!
    Most odd! It appears that the team followed the instructions of the rules as they were written. However, the stewards interpreted them differently. Reading between the lines, and that the penalty points have been removed, but a fine imposed on the team, it appears that they realise that the directive was not clear but will not openly admit to it.

I can see why Lewis was miffed. He didn't do anything wrong as far as the guidance went but with a 10 second penalty and the worse tyre strategy, his chances of winning went out the door even before the race started.

Danny Ric's penalty was different - he knew he had broken a rule and found it easy to accept and move on. However, Ocon should have made it easier for DR to get past. Poor team play.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

10. Likes MarkFY, Villanova27, Frank liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Most odd! It appears that the team followed the instructions of the rules as they were written. However, the stewards interpreted them differently. Reading between the lines, and that the penalty points have been removed, but a fine imposed on the team, it appears that they realise that the directive was not clear but will not openly admit to it.

I can see why Lewis was miffed. He didn't do anything wrong as far as the guidance went but with a 10 second penalty and the worse tyre strategy, his chances of winning went out the door even before the race started.

Danny Ric's penalty was different - he knew he had broken a rule and found it easy to accept and move on. However, Ocon should have made it easier for DR to get past. Poor team play.
    The old saying "they win as a team, lose as a team" is most appropriate here. Lewis probably kick-started the domino effect by running wide during Q2 first run. From then on things conspired against him with red flag and then the team going against his wishes for the mediums and putting him on the softs. Before the race, he was convinced he would be in third after the start due to the drag he would give to MV and VB and he ended in third, so maybe not so bad in the scheme of things.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is sport so the result is the result. That's fine. Yes, Lewis made a tiny mistake in his first Q2 run and paid for it.

However, the start practice procedure was not clearly written. Lewis clearly knows what he is doing in the car and wanted a clean piece of tarmac for his starts to be as close as possible to a grid start. According to the wording of the guidelines Merc/Lewis didn't do anything wrong. The stewards read more into the wording. Easily done. You think you have written a very clear statement and then someone comes along and understands it completely differently, especially when you are working in the second language of most of the people involved!

Without the penalty, it would have been an exciting race with Lewis on the weaker strategy. With it, it was a procession at the front, just with a different driver winning.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 17k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 12k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

13. Likes MarkFY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    After the last races Lewis has already gone down in history. More victories than Schumacher.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123