Thread: 3.0 L diesel snapped crank

Post Thanks / Like

3.0 L diesel snapped crank

Looking for some help and advice,

A couple of weeks ago my 3.0L diesel 2016 f pace died with no warning and juddered to an abrupt stop, had the car towed to Jaguar only to be told itís non serviceable and it requires a new engine due to a snapped crank at a cost of over £16K. Jaguar are willing to gift an engine at 60% cost to me which leaves me a total bill of £11.3K including labour.
    The car has a full dealer service history and has only done 22700 miles, one of the team have admitted that the snapped crank shaft is a manufacturer fault but ultimately itís out of warranty.

Does anyone have any advice on getting Jaguar to gift more? Has any one out there had a similar problem and if so what was the out come?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would start with a very public and committed PR campaign on all of JLR's social media accounts about the fact your 4 year old car with only 23k miles suffered a catastrophic engine failure despite being serviced to the manufacturer's requirements, and that they want £11k to fix something which should never have passed QC in the factory.
    2005 Jaguar S-Type R in Ebony Black

3. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Leaving you with a bill of £11k on a 4 year old 22k mile car is not good enough. I agree with the above that you need to raise the profile of this case.
    I would also shop around dealers on the cost of the job. They do vary and I'm surprised that the bill is still £11k with the 60% parts discount.
    These engines are not known for catastrophic failures like this.
    2007 S type R, Radiance Red/ Champagne

Post Thanks / Like
    And, of course, with the Jaguar USA warranty of 5 years, there would have been no cost to the owner.

Not good enough, Jaguar !!
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XE Portfolio 180 AWD 2017
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MB SLK 2015
    MG TF 135 2010

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest you try and get the Dealer on board and get them to canvas Jaguar on your behalf. In my experience if the Dealer isn't 100% behind you then Jaguar will lose interest.
    2017 F-Pace 2.0 i4 Diesel (180PS) Portfolio in Indus Silver
    2001 XK8 4.0 Coupe in Quartz
    1989 XJ40 4.0 Sovereign (gone but not forgotten)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestions, the dealer is behind me and have secured me a reasonable discount so far, Iíve decided to go down the route of disturbing a couple of the social media pages which got their attention immediately, Iíve got a customer solutions executive contacting me shortly.
    Iíll let you know what the outcome is.
    Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    If you Google Jaguar Land Rover 3.0d broken crank you'll find there's a long history of this problem. Seems it's fairly common for one of the main bearing shells to spin in its housing and shut off the bearing oil supply. They've known about this issue since the 2.7d days.
    Last edited by twostrokekid; 18-10-20 at 12:26.
    2006 S Type 2.7d Sport
    2016 Audi A6 Avant
    1967 Triumph TR4A

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeRaspin View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, the dealer is behind me and have secured me a reasonable discount so far, Iíve decided to go down the route of disturbing a couple of the social media pages which got their attention immediately, Iíve got a customer solutions executive contacting me shortly.
    Iíll let you know what the outcome is.
    Thanks again
    Would love to know how this turned out.

It made me chuckle, the fact they suddenly looked interested!