Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Detailing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamplighter View Post
    Onto the damage... and remaining defects...

So here we have a tiny scratch near the driver door handle:

And here we have some green gunge in the gap between the roof and the rear window:

Here we have the cracked seal around the front windshield:

Here is a barely noticeable scuff, in the centre of the red circle:

And here is the damage caused by that bastard animal, thanks China!

And of course there's that scratch on the boot I posted earlier.

Tips on how to deal with all these appreciated.
    Soft toothbrush for the green gunge and I'm sure you can buy the windscreen seals. Scratches and scuffs.........good ole T Cut
    Brian

06 X TYPE SOVEREIGN 2.2 D Estate Silver 148k miles

2. Thanks lamplighter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Replacement lower grill arrived today. It's in pretty good condition actually. Might get some Citron to deal with the small amount of paint on it. And then some furniture oil to blacken it up a bit. Not in a rush though.

Still need to see about repairing the bumper crack. That's more concerning.

I've been researching and there seem to be 2 common methods of dealing with this kind of damage. SMART repair (pinning the crack together, applying flexible body filler, epoxy, paint and clear coat), and plastic welding.

Guess I'm going to be concerned that the shape comes out OK, and then that the paint looks good.

Both methods usually imply just spot work, so the paint or shininess of the clear coat not matching the rest of the bumper might be more concerning.

And then there's fitting the lower grill. I imagine i'll want to get the crack seen to first, and then fit the grill. Thinking I could do the grill myself.
    Silver Jaguar X-Type saloon - 2004
    V6 2.5L petrol, manual, AWD. Black leather heated memory seats, AC, touch screen, 2011/12 sat-nav, front CD and 6 CD rear, ACM, Voice. Drives amazing, no dents/scratches, interior has only very minor wear on front seats. 86k miles. Retrofitted Bluetooth for handsfree calls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much progress to report I'm afraid.

Discovered there is actually a second crack, all be it smaller. I'm feeling like I may end up taking my bumper to a garage or somewhere to have it done properly, rather than a smart/spot fix. No idea where to look yet. Ho hum.

Couple of videos I stumbled upon. One regarding cleaning, or removing paint from, black plastic trims, such as on my lower grill.

Seems one recommendation is possibly really bad, using a heat gun. Idea is it will bring out the oil to blacken the surface, but this might lead to the whole thing becoming dehydrated and going white. Based on the principle of oil hydration, it seems an oil based solution is preferable.

This video on Citron is very convincing, sadly it's not available here, though can be imported for £30 all in for 1 can I think:

This guy demonstrates the power of furniture oil, very impressive, and after viewing the comments it appears this a solution that lasts:

Finally I found this awesome bumper removal video, much more detailed than my Haynes manual lol:

Made me think, the Haynes manual should really be a website or a youtube channel.
    Silver Jaguar X-Type saloon - 2004
    V6 2.5L petrol, manual, AWD. Black leather heated memory seats, AC, touch screen, 2011/12 sat-nav, front CD and 6 CD rear, ACM, Voice. Drives amazing, no dents/scratches, interior has only very minor wear on front seats. 86k miles. Retrofitted Bluetooth for handsfree calls.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12