Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Detailing!

Well it has been a while since I've posted here. And since the last time a lot has happened.

I had a trip to France. 650 miles each way via the Channel Tunnel for optimum social distancing. And I can tell you, things are now pretty serious between me and the Jag now. We've been over the Dartford bridge, under the sea, across magnificent viaducts, through tunnels, driven on both sides of the road... and done a part of the Le Mans race track. I've gotten quite familiar with cruise control and a brilliant thing it is. On the way home we had a rough time in the dark, in the rain, through traffic works on the M20, and then a bit of aquaplaning along some flooded country roads. Which she responded to intelligently and rapidly. Not sure how but I was impressed. This car is amazing.

After all that I wanted to reward her. Hired a guy to come and do some detailing.

Told me the paint work was already pretty good, not too much swirling, but I could see the difference. He reckoned it had probably been done before.

Anyway, cost me £200. And he did a fairly good job for the money. Just the exterior, and inside the doors. I would probably spend more tbh, and get an even better job done. As I still have some scratches which are too deep. Not many at all, but once you see them...

In particular there are a couple that appear to require a detailing pen, as they are wide. Especially this one on the boot under the number plate, and the one on the bumper below it, which I'm less bothered about.

There is a cut on spoiler which nothing can be done about, so I intend to buy a replacement.

These wing mirror scratches are gone. Turns out it was just paint from the car that bumped it.

And this scratch on the door is also gone.

As for the screw in the number plate, he didn't want to touch it, reckoned it might break off and then would need drilling out. So I guess I will have to find a garage for that.

I'm waiting for some sunshine to take a picture of her. Or at least a moment when the light is best.

I'll also add picture of the few other scratches that still need doing. And when I get them done I'll post them here too.

Oooh, and I want to fix the rubber seal around the windshield. Would that be pricey? The seal is cracked in places, not leaking though.
    Silver Jaguar X-Type saloon - 2004
    V6 2.5L petrol, manual, AWD. Black leather heated memory seats, AC, touch screen, 2011/12 sat-nav, front CD and 6 CD rear, ACM, Voice. Drives amazing, no dents/scratches, interior has only very minor wear on front seats. 86k miles. Retrofitted Bluetooth for handsfree calls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Number plate screw is unlikely to need drilling out as it only screws into plastic.
    You'll probably unscrew with pliers if the screw head is chewed up.
    Current. 2011 XFS Portfolio. Lunar Grey (LJZ) / Black (LEG).
    Previous. 2012 XF Premium Luxury. Remapped 307 BHP / 449 lb/ft. Italian Racing Red (CAH) / Barley
    Previous. 2005 55 reg 06MY 2.0D Sovereign. Jaguar Racing Green - HGZ.
    In storage.1988 Daimler XJ40. Bordeaux Red / Doeskin.

3. Thanks lamplighter thanked for this post
    Likes lamplighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... and you can buy a pack of number plate securing screws and those little plastic caps (white & yellow) for less than £2 on ebay.
    Lexus IS250 SE-L V6 (06) ... sadly it had to happen (I blame ULEZ)!
    2005 (55) X-type 2.0d S saloon ~ Zircon/Champagne/Belize ... FOR SALE

5. Likes lamplighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good Lamplighter, like she's been given some love.

Re the number plate / screw etc.

Why not treat her to a brand new set of number plates ( not overly costly ) and then instead of drilling them and adding white / yellow screws etc, use 3M double sided tape for a much cleaner look all round

For around £30 it makes a big and noticeable difference to both front and rear!

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Ultimate Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia, Remote boot mod and illuminated treadplates added, currently at 54k miles
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors 96k miles

7. Thanks lamplighter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bad news

Got attacked by a muntjac in the dark. The damage is I hope not too severe. But it's a damn shame as my front bumper was pretty much mint. And finding a replacement... doesn't look like there are any in anyway near enough good nick on ebay.

Looks like I'm going to try one of those mobile bumper repair guys.

Before I plunge into that some more, and the remaining defects I want to fix, here is the car this morning. This is a week after the detailing, and I haven't really had the best light to examine it until today.

I can still see some swirls, but on the whole I'm happy with the job for £200. Hard to justify spending too much more... but who knows, maybe if she appreciates value.

Last edited by lamplighter; 19-10-20 at 20:58.
    V6 2.5L petrol, manual, AWD. Black leather heated memory seats, AC, touch screen, 2011/12 sat-nav, front CD and 6 CD rear, ACM, Voice. Drives amazing, no dents/scratches, interior has only very minor wear on front seats. 86k miles. Retrofitted Bluetooth for handsfree calls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Onto the damage... and remaining defects...

So here we have a tiny scratch near the driver door handle:

And here we have some green gunge in the gap between the roof and the rear window:

Here we have the cracked seal around the front windshield:

Here is a barely noticeable scuff, in the centre of the red circle:

And here is the damage caused by that bastard animal, thanks China!

And of course there's that scratch on the boot I posted earlier.

Tips on how to deal with all these appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Billy2Jags, appreciate the tip, I might have a go with some pliers myself.
    Rowley, yup I've got the screws amd screw caps.
    JimC64, good idea, I have the adhesive stickies. Am tinkering with the idea of a custom plate also. Definitely will get new ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Urgh it's worse... was just looking at the photo of the bumper crack and sure enough the plastic grill between the fog lights is f'd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bummer.
    I feel your pain.
    Current. 2011 XFS Portfolio. Lunar Grey (LJZ) / Black (LEG).
    Previous. 2012 XF Premium Luxury. Remapped 307 BHP / 449 lb/ft. Italian Racing Red (CAH) / Barley
    Previous. 2005 55 reg 06MY 2.0D Sovereign. Jaguar Racing Green - HGZ.
    In storage.1988 Daimler XJ40. Bordeaux Red / Doeskin.

13. Likes lamplighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not the end of the world. I've ordered a replacement lower grill. Not sure what state it's in but hopefully can be cleaned up. Will see about a SMART fix to the bumper tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast