Hi to you all
    Can anybody suggest a good LSD oil
    Thanks
    Michael
    There is something very special about a Jag
    I am only its guardian

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSD oil

According to Jaguar you must use a Hypoid LS 90 oil.
    The LS designation means that it will not degragde the friction faces in the Limited Slip Differential.
    This oil is availible from Jaguar dealers, most motor factors I have tried are useless and don't carry it. It is expensive but it's up to you...
    Somerset, like Heartbeat with newer cars!

1988 Alpine Green XJ-S V12 H.E.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSD oil

Thanks I have been using ESSO and wanted to know if there was a better one to use
    There is something very special about a Jag
    I am only its guardian

Post Thanks / Like
    According to a salesman at Quality Jaguar, the XJ-S final drive unit uses both natural leather and natural rubber seals.

Therefore, synthetic lubricants are not recommended. It is recommended that synthetics be avoided in the special additive as well.
    I saw this in "XJS Experience in a Book" document.

I wanted to know if anyone has any experience running Mobile 1 GL-5 75W-90 LS (Limited Slip) Gear oil in their differential, and has had any issues?

I find the quote above a little hard to believe, but sure wouldn't mind another opinion. I guess I ought to check the owner's manual. Shell Spirax 90 isn't available around here.

I am running GL5 synthetic in a Salsbury 4HA Limited Slip on my Jensen Interceptor with no problems.

Thanks -

Rocky

PS> Here's the opinion of a buddy of mine, a well-respected business owner in the Automatic Transmission business..

I don’t know how or why synthetic lubricants get such a bad rap. Synthetics are modified base oils designed to improve shear strength and longevity by manipulating the base oil at the molecular level.

You can not deny the temperature stability and retention of viscosity offered by synthetics. It’s highly refined f*****g oil, not magic, not voodoo, not alien.

I haven’t seen a leather seal used in an automotive application after the 1960’s. These were phased out just like wooden spokes on wheels as soon as better materials were invented. It didn’t take a moon shot, it was simply self-preservation by manufacturers to build a more reliable product.

Excuse me, but I have to go file and gap my points, synchronize my multiple carbs and change the whale oil in my limited slip differential.
    Last edited by Rocky_USA; 06-01-19 at 06:56.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the spec is API GL5 EP90. I use Castrol Axle Z limited slip 90. The diff takes about 1.3 litres.

GM

6. Thanks Rocky_USA thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarman22 View Post
    Hi to you all
    Can anybody suggest a good LSD oil
    Thanks
    Michael
    I thought LSD was illegal!