Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear stick & Handbrake Gaiters

Post Thanks / Like

Gear stick & Handbrake Gaiters

Hey guys,
    Has anyone tryed replacing the original vinyl gaiters with these? If so, are they any good? Is it a problem-free DIY as they say? I ask this as I heard about this guy who replaced his original gear stick gaiter with something he bought from the Internet and in the end it was kind of stuck. It wouldn't shift freely as it should.
    Cheers

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAGUAR-X-TYPE-BLA ... 843wt_1165
    http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/s..._leal45802.jpg
    05 Jaguar X-Type Estate 2.0D Sport, Ebony Black, 17" Belize. No Leaper.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gear stick & Handbrake Gaiters

Quite an easy job that a few members have done in the past including myself, got mine from a Mr gaitor on ebay but can't find him anymore, good quality and nice soft leather.

Link to a previous thread.

viewtopic.php?t=5956&start=0

Hope this helps.
    XF Premium Luxury 2.7 V6 diesel 2009MY
    Vapour Grey
    Barley Leather

Post Thanks / Like

It does help, Vic.

Guys, if any of you has bought the same item from this seller, please tell me how it turned out :P

Post Thanks / Like

Here's mine.

Easy job. Go for it.

I didn't bother with replacing the staples on the gaiter, just needed a couple of dabs of superglue in each corner and that was it.

The rest fitted OK and secured enough by just the plastic going through the leather gaiter.

I reckon it looks much better although it is a slightly different tone compared with the handbrake gaiter and armrest so best to change both.

Regards,
    Danny.
    Danny.
    X type - 2002, 2.1, petrol, zircon blue, tints, manual, red calipers, wood dash kit and steering wheel, mesh grilles upper and lower, clear side indicators, chrome gear knob and red stitched gaiter.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the all wood effect, is it easy to fit the cover over the ciggy lighter bit? I dont have one
    Previous: 2006 X-Type 2.2d S- EBC Turbo Groove & Red Stuff
    2004 XJ Sport 4.2 Black with cream leather
    Current: 2004 XJ Super V8 SWB

"Speed and power solve many things" - JC

Post Thanks / Like

OK, just finished my purchase on e-Bay. Not from Mr. Gaiter but from a so-called topgaiters. It seemed too cheap for what I'm buying, but eh, we'll see. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
    Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: Gear stick & Handbrake Gaiters - Tutorial

Got the gaiters and proceeded to replace the one on the gear lever (the handbrake will have to wait). Pretty easy and, BTW, thanks to all the members who left pieces of advice on how to do it. They were very helpful, especially the tutorial posted by by _robban, from Sweden, in 2008. If you're planning to replace your gaiter yourself, use it as your main source of information:

viewtopic.php?t=13584

Cheers, Bro!

The hardest parts were removing the staples without braking the fragile plastic frame and getting everything back together without an industrial stapler.I opted for ThreePointZero's needle and thread (fishing line in my case) method.

ThreePointZero said:

Ideally, I would have used an industrial stapler to replace the removed staples. This would 'pinch' the frame tight. Unfortunately, I dont not own an industrial stapler.

What I did however, was get a needle and thread and sew through the staple holes and through the leather. This held the frame nice and tight together and the finish is superb.
    That's what I did but I have to tell you guys it's a real pain in the butt. Here's a tutorial on this part:

Here is all the equipment need you'll need to accomplish the entire project (an industrial stapler would be very handy, though).
    So: Gerber tool, plastic (bike) tyre levers, needle, fishing line and a light source (I called it the Canadian Method )

Prying off the staples was not easy, as the ends where on the inside:

So I had to cut through the vinyl to reach the spots:

And used the Gerber to pry off the staples (do it very cautiously, as the plastic is very fragile!):

The two plastic parts. Note the gaiter still attached to the lower one:

And so we have to undress it:

And now the sewing through the staple holes (only for those with no access to an industrial stapler). It was no easy work, but I didn't want to risk breaking the plastic pasts enlarging the holes in order to use tie wraps.

Detail. After piercing the leader with the needle point, I used the back to insert the thread (sometimes I was able to insert the thread without the help of a needle):

Afterwards used the pliers function of the Gerber tool to loosen the tread on the inside:

The most difficult part was threading the needle on the inside of the gaiter. The light source was very handy:

The look of the stitches before trimming:

Another detail I haven't seen on by _robban's tutorial - with the file function of the Gerber, I've smoothed the edges of the tie wrap head had so that it won't hurt the leader in the future::

And the final look:

I hope it may help those few planning to replace their gaiters.

Cheers everybody!

Post Thanks / Like

I brought a replacement gaiter from Topgaiters about 6 months back. As you say extracting the staples is the worst part of the job. I glued the new gaiter into the frame using ' NO MORE NAILS' addesive, kept the whole thing in place with bulldog clips whilst it dried. So far its been fine and think that as the gaiter is leather its better than the original
    Jaguar XF Luxury 3.0 V6 petrol, in Claret Red with barley leather, Venus alloys

previously Jaguar X Type 2.1 V6. Gone but not forgotton

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to replace the hand brake, so maybe I'll try your method. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast