Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heated washer jets

Post Thanks / Like

Heated washer jets

Well, for those of you who followed my rantings on the subject elsewhere, you may be surprised to know Iíve finally got round to it!

For those who havenít a clue what Iím on about, the X-Type does NOT have electrically heated washer jets, and Jag donít even list them as a part to retro fit. It surprised me that a car of this class doesnít have them, even though my old J reg Merc E Class did...

So, to correct this, I bought the ones for a (ahem) Mondeo...

Ford on the left, my Jag one on the right. Identical except for the heating element.

The initial plan was to install with a relay, taking an ignition live as power, and the heated screen as the switch. However, not being able to find an easy ignition live under a diesel bonnet, Iíve adopted a different policy. They are wired in parallel with the heated screen, with a lower rated inline fuse. That way if anything goes wrong, they blow their own fuse and the heated screen stays working.

The jets only draw about 2 amps of power, so they donít put too much extra load on the heated screen circuit.

Pop out the Jag jets, and put in the Ford ones.

Cut off the connectors and join one of each together to wire them in parallel.

Now, just to clarify these pictures, I only had red wire. Ideally I would use red for live and black for earth...

Remove the cover under the wipers, and route the new cables to the offside of the car

Locate the offside heated screen wire (green/blue) and cut it.

Bring these together into a female spade connector

Bring one of the heated jets wires down to earth. I used the wiper motor mount point (for speed) but you can probably find something more suitable.

On the other heated jet wire, attach another female spade.

Between the two spades, now insert a blade fuse. I used a 5 amp one ( heated screen fuse is 30 amps)

I then wrapped both spades and the body of the fuse with insulating tape, and sealed in a plastic bag. I left the end of the fuse visible so it was easy to see if it blows.

Thatís it. Now, when I switch on the heated windscreen, the jets also heat up. For those without a heated screen, like my wifeís classic, you need to find another ďtimedĒ circuit, such as the heated mirrors which operate with the rear screen, or the rear screen itself. I had toyed with the idea of just wiring them into the ignition, but the guy at Ford said theyíd melt if left on all the time!

Iíve not exactly done the neatest job in the world, but I donít want to suffer like I did last year. Any refinements to this welcome, but until then I think I have the only X-type in the world with heated washer jets!
    Tym (0%)
    55 Reg 2.5 X-Type JT2, Radiance1975, Touch Screen, Stone Leather, Heated Seats, Heated Screen, 2012 Sat Nav, Cruise, Parrot BlueTooth, *my own brand* tracker :GRIN:
    http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/z.../bungy_sig.jpg

2. Likes Phil S, chrisb1972 liked this post
    westville

Re: Heated washer jets

Grand puits du travail - maestro fait !

Post Thanks / Like

Nice thinking Tym. Were the Ford units expensive?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat
    Nice thinking Tym. Were the Ford units expensive?
    I *did* have the invoice around here at one point but can't find it. Think they were about £25 for the pair...
    Tym (0%)
    55 Reg 2.5 X-Type JT2, Radiance1975, Touch Screen, Stone Leather, Heated Seats, Heated Screen, 2012 Sat Nav, Cruise, Parrot BlueTooth, *my own brand* tracker :GRIN:

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea, loved them on my old ford.

Are you planning to heat the whole system? pipes and bottle etc.
    I'm not addicted to Scuba diving but I'm no longer using the lift as it exceeds a safe ascent rate

Post Thanks / Like

What a great idea! However after two Jags. over several years, never garaged (ashamed to admit) never had washers freeze once. There are members who live in far north of England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland. Who may have this problem because they do get lower temperatures. My Fiesta run about freezes up, but the JAG's. Never has. That's our personal experience.

Roger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stezz
    Great idea, loved them on my old ford.

Are you planning to heat the whole system? pipes and bottle etc.
    Not at the moment. usually my 50/50 mix takes care of the rest - it just bottlenecks at the jets.

I remember once driving my Passat on a very cold January day. Travelled 40 miles before I got any fluid out of my jets...then the beggars froze up again...

I can't understand why they're not fitted as standard on a supposed luxury car...
    Tym (0%)

Post Thanks / Like

@Maureensxtype

Lucky you; mine froze up badly last year... once bitten... (or even "once frost bitten!!")
    Tym (0%)

Post Thanks / Like

Please excuse what could be a stupid question but do ANY Xtypes have these?

The reason I ask is when I bought my 2005 model 2.0D sport I was told by the dealer it had them. Now he could have been mistaken but over the last winter and in the last week or so we've had a couple of days at freezing and when I've used my heated rear screen, which switches on the heated mirrors, the bonnet around the washer jets has cleared and "melts" through the ice. It doesn't do this when I don't switch on the rear heated screen.

I'm off to switch the heated rear window on and feel the washer jets with a puzzled look on my face!

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread. Will have to take a look at doing mine.
    http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/a...trip_1_h65.jpg
    Current: X-Type 2.2D SE Auto
    Past: Rover SD1 2.6 VDP Auto, XM 2.0 Turbo Onyx Auto, XM 2.0D Turbo, Omega 2.0, Austin 1300 TC GT plus others

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast